food in the fridge is spoiling quickly

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Do you vacuum out the coils regularly?

Put a small piece of paper between the door seal and the fridge with the door closed. Pull it around the outside. Is the seal loose?

Do you see/hear the fan running?

How old is this fridge?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Definitely put a thermometer in there to check the temperature. We have one that hangs on the shelf on has a range that says freezer safe and one for fridge safe. I shoot for being in the middle.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Vacuum the coils on the rear of the unit. If those are caked with grime, you'll need to get some coil cleaner to do it right.
If those aren't clean, they will not transfer heat correctly, and thus will not cool well, or at all.

Also, there may be a spore colony inside that is re-infecting the food. Clean out inside with a bleach based cleaner, then put a thermometer in there.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Vacuum the coils on the rear of the unit. If those are caked with grime, you'll need to get some coil cleaner to do it right.
If those aren't clean, they will not transfer heat correctly, and thus will not cool well, or at all.

Also, there may be a spore colony inside that is re-infecting the food. Clean out inside with a bleach based cleaner, then put a thermometer in there.

I'll check behind the fridge and clean it up a bit.

I'm not sure how old the fridge is. The previous owners left when we bought the house last year.

Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Are you sure its set to coldest and not warmest?

yeah, i checked that.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Make sure you check the temperature in the bottom and top.
Refrigerators do all the cooling in the freezer section and then use a fan to blow air through a duct into the refrigerator.
My brother runs an appliance business and often he gets refrigerators that the fan in the freezer has stopped and people can't understand how the freezer is freezing solid but the other part isn't cold enough.

Put your hand over the duct exit in the refrigerator and make sure the fan is blowing.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Make sure you check the temperature in the bottom and top.
Refrigerators do all the cooling in the freezer section and then use a fan to blow air through a duct into the refrigerator.
My brother runs an appliance business and often he gets refrigerators that the fan in the freezer has stopped and people can't understand how the freezer is freezing solid but the other part isn't cold enough.

Put your hand over the duct exit in the refrigerator and make sure the fan is blowing.

will check that. thanx

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

The previous owners left when we bought the house last year.

Glad to hear that; I hate it when they continue to hang around.

;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you need a thermometer , to see what the temperature is
the temperature is probably too high, that is what causes food to rot