Fonts breaking up

caveman38

Dec 27, 2007
Please help. New monitor installed NEC 20" 5:4 LCD running at 1600 x 1200 with an ATI Radeon 9600.
At first I had trouble getting a font that would work in both office apps. and internet. When I upscaled to 120 dpi I found that was the answer.
Now I have found that on the desktop and windows based apps that the fonts are breaking up. There is no trouble on web pages where the site provides the font but say on IE the favouite list suffers the problem as well.
I am running the monitor from the DVI source and haven't tried analogue.
Do you think the problem is this3/4 year old card or something else.
I would be very grateful for some ideas as I am not too clued up these days.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For the cleanest fonts, LCD's have to be run at specific resolutions. Try several other resolutions, both higher and lower than your current settings.

The ClearType setting may also give you better fonts on your desktop. It attempts to dither the steps in curved fonts with shaded pixels to create the appearance of smoother text, and it adds more shadowing under the fonts on your desktop. I don't know if it applies to fonts in other programs. To set it:

Right click on the desktop for Properties > Appearance > Effects.

Check Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts, and select ClearType.

Click OK on that screen. Then, click Apply and OK on the remaining screen.

caveman38

Dec 27, 2007
Thanks for that Harvey, you got it in one. What a difference it makes. I didn't get much response from a similar forum over here in UK, all the brains must be over the pond.
Happy New Year to you and all the guys on the board. I

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: caveman38
Thanks for that Harvey, you got it in one. What a difference it makes. I didn't get much response from a similar forum over here in UK, all the brains must be over the pond.
Happy New Year to you and all the guys on the board. I

YW, and same back at ya. :wine: :thumbsup: :cool: