Folding requires administrator account?

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
I noticed that my folding scores dropped terribly in the last few weeks. The only change that I have made to my machines is that I only login with a limited account.

I installed folding@home from the limited account, using runas. My data only seems to get sent and received when I log in under the admin account.

Any ideas?

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
If you want the F@H program to run when you are not logged in as admin, you will need to install it as a service.

Run the configuration again and answer yes to that.

-Cheers :beer:

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
I installed it as a service, and it is running. However, when it gets to 100%, it just hangs until I log in as the admin. Then, it will upload my results and download my new data.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I think you have to be logged on as Administrator when you install it as a service.

Then it will run as a service with Administrator privileges when logged on the limited account.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
To be completely candid....

I am struggling to understand why you are not operating under an administrator account. (edit: anytime you are installing software of any kind)

I don't want to sound like a prude, but it would be somewhat countrary to the spirit of integrity to install F@H on someone else's machine without their knowledge or permission.

I would like to suggest you talk to the administrator of this PC, get their permission to run this program and then set it all up from the admin account.

-Sid

I have personally watched threads lamenting the loss of a friend, access to a PC and in some extreme cases... the loss of a job when people comandere resources that don't belong to them without permission. Please don't let it happen in this case.