Folding@Home Strikes Back: Tom's Vs Anand Part 2 (March 12th)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The beatings will continue until morale improves!
You know what's worse? They're cheating!

johnburek said:
Hey team!

New editor of TH, John Burek, here.

It looks, alas, like we are getting thrashed at the moment by Team AT. (And this with our 11-GPU mining rig that I had our mother company's lab fire up on behalf of Team TH to try and close up the gap.)

The rules of the contest are actually that the employees aren't allowed to participate. This is because using our lab equipment would be unfair for both sides. It would be like organizing a community basketball tournament and having Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry show up to participate.
And they're still losing!

We'll have to dub them "Olympic athletes from Tom's Hardware" next year. :p

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
:D
johnburek said:
And this with our 11-GPU mining rig
If those GPUs are attached through 1-lane PCIe interfaces, Folding performance will be quite a bit below the capability of the respective chip, AFAIK. Edit, more so, if the host CPU has less than 12 cores.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You know what's worse? They're cheating!

And they're still losing!

We need to point out to Ryan that they are cheating ! But with us still in the lead, I guess it does not matter.

But it looks like their 11 cards are getting 5 million ppd. My 10 cards get 12 million ppd.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Well, we're cheating too....we have Mark and Stefan. ;)

Yeah, the mining rig was a poor choice, lack of knowledge about the project. The bandwidth certainly takes a dive on a 1x cable, 4x PCIe 2.0 seems to be the minimum before performance takes a hit (I think I tested this with a Radeon 280X though, GTX 10 series may need even more bandwidth). And as noted, no doubt the CPU is not a 12 thread or better, as mining requires little processor time.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, we're cheating too....we have Mark and Stefan. ;)

Yeah, the mining rig was a poor choice, lack of knowledge about the project. The bandwidth certainly takes a dive on a 1x cable, 4x PCIe 2.0 seems to be the minimum before performance takes a hit (I think I tested this with a Radeon 280X though, GTX 10 series may need even more bandwidth). And as noted, no doubt the CPU is not a 12 thread or better, as mining requires little processor time.
Hey, Pokey is number 2 contributor, !!!

Nov 18, 2016
i'm struggling to decide if mark should be a carrier, due to him having a full complement of systems, or a battleship, which has many, many cannons at his disposal. uhm.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I actually have a 1700x, a 6700k and most of a E5-2683v3 (14 core, 28t missing half the memory) still off-line until I need them.

And a couple of "wieenie" video cards

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
We need to point out to Ryan that they are cheating ! But with us still in the lead, I guess it does not matter.

But it looks like their 11 cards are getting 5 million ppd. My 10 cards get 12 million ppd.
In John's defense here, this is the first time he's done a Folding race. The first race in 2016 was under a previous editor-in-chief, so John wasn't fully aware of smaller rules.

Regardless, it doesn't seem to have affected anything. Even with their blatant cheating, you guys are still handily winning with your honest racing.:p So keep it up!

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Screenshot-2018-3-14_Team_Anand_Tech_-_Team_Summary_-_EXTREME_Ove.png

Onwards to 65M PPD!
Congratulations! We did break 65M barrier!
Screenshot-2018-3-15_Team_Anand_Tech_-_Team_Summary_-_EXTREME_Ove.png

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
ExtremeOverclockers' "24 hour average" is actually your average 24 hour output from the past 7 days. If you haven't been folding that long it underestimates your output.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
And the winner is ?? Stas on how bad we creamed them
According to my stats:

TeAm AnandTech: 254,348,703 points. :)
Tom's Hardware: 120,031,350 points. :(
Difference: 134,317,353 points

Reactions: zzuupp
Nov 18, 2016
they do really need to put more visibility into this kind of events and yeah, give more advance notice. the last race was a blast mainly because there was competition, both from them and internally. i remember squeezing every available hour into folding to keep up the pace, while this time i just had to comfortably let the 970 fold 24/7 and the 1070 around 8-10 hours at night, and we were running away from day 1. oh well, there'll be other times i guess.

on a brighter note, today a very much needed phone call came in: i have a new job. hell yeah! it will be at a very low wage at the start, but there's space for climbing up. this means i can probably participate in the other team's events.
still have to check my bills to look up exactly how much i pay a KwH, so i can optimize, and also, i'll probably not be doing this 24/7 because i've noticed that i may be taxing the power supply too hard. if the 1070 is gaming with the 970 folding, after a while i have some artifacts popping up at times, and that may indicate unstable power delivery. MSI afterburner confirms that while gaming, the 1070 routinely exceeds her allowed power budget, and those spikes may be putting a strain on it. late spring though i will be getting many more work hours and conversely more money, and probably if things look good i'll take up mark on his offer and build a dedicated folding rig, unless someone else got the stuff before me. which i don't mind, because i really want to get my hands on a cute Ryzen 3 and build some sort of SFF pc to use as a kind of NAS... with folding on the side :D

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Maybe stop in to OT and tell folks whom have never done it before. Folding at home with is webs interface can't get any easier. I just happen to notice the post in the new post section. I'm no power house but I like to help out the team. BTW where is our logo? :p

Reactions: ao_ika_red

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe stop in to OT and tell folks whom have never done it before. Folding at home with is webs interface can't get any easier. I just happen to notice the post in the new post section. I'm no power house but I like to help out the team. BTW where is our logo? :p
I nominate Thebobo as our ambassador to OT! I get myself in trouble when I stray too far from the DC subforum...

Reactions: zzuupp and Thebobo

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Probably would get better results stopping in at P&N. They are super friendly in there. ;)

Reactions: zzuupp and Thebobo