Folding@Home Strikes Back: Tom's Vs Anand Part 2 (March 12th)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
used the link in Pokeys thread.

I just tried Pokey's link and it worked. You have a USB thumb drive or something to transfer from the laptop?

I've started early, like some of the others, so I don't have to muck about with converting 1800UTC to local on Monday, and also to get my 10 units done on a new client.

Pokey has already mentioned this, but:
Don't forget to get a passkey, or you don't get the QRB (quick return bonus)!!!!

One main benefit of passkeys is that if someone cheats, we will not need to zero out the points of everyone with that username — only the offending party and those without passkeys.

Perhaps more interestingly, we have introduced a new Quick Return Bonus (QRB) points program, which is tied to passkeys. To earn this bonus, you must use a passkey.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I just downloaded on chrome, running in chrome Browser ? looks like it's working.
don't know if gpu's are working, Ia'm a seti guy :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just downloaded on chrome, running in chrome Browser ? looks like it's working.
don't know if gpu's are working, Ia'm a seti guy :)
Use FAHcontrol, it tells you GPU, CPU, ppd, everything. Just download it.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Hate to be a pane but is ANY DISEASE the setting I want, or it doesn't matter.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Configure/Advanced...first drop down menu
fah_cause_preference.png

Reactions: GLeeM

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, so do you know if choosing makes a ppd difference ? So I have been doing this for 15 years, and I have never seen that.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK< well, in 15 years I can say that the PPD can be "regular" so long as the servers are up, and they are better than many DC projects, once every few months down for a day. And the last time was a week ago, so we are most likely in for a good week.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
It doesn't make a difference because it doesn't actually work. ;) (in my experience)

If you choose Oh sayyyyyyyyyyyyy Parkinsons and there are NO WUs it will choose a different project that is running. Not that it is all bad, but unless you check what is actually running by clicking on WU you really do not know WHAT you are running. So with that confusing ramble you are better off to choose "Any"

Back story and one reason I pretty much stopped F@H,
I did not know that it actually did that when I chose Parkinsons for Folding. My Dad had Parkinsons (R.I.P Dad, 03/09/2018) and I was running full tilt on that project or so I thought.........I wasn't.......I was running others (Do not take this the wrong way please, any other project is just as important) but I was running because it was very important obviously to me to run that specific project. There is no other way to see what exactly you are working on BESIDES checking the WU.

A few other reasons would include: They can't keep their poop together, stats operating correctly, there is basically no communication with the people who volunteer their time about the results, their forums are crap- end user is ALWAYS at fault for issues............Thus my move to BOINC....../end rant/

Reactions: TennesseeTony

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mining profits are down. Might have to go all-in on F@H for this race... when does it start? Maybe I should set up all of the clients now?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Mining profits are down. Might have to go all-in on F@H for this race... when does it start? Maybe I should set up all of the clients now?
Yes, start now, especially if you decide to try mining with FoldingCoin at the same time. If you do you'll need ten more WUs to get back to full speed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This FoldingCoin thing, other than changing my Folding username, and not continuing on with my existing stats... do I also need a wallet for these coins, and how do you exchange them for fiat?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, got F@H installed and running on my Ryzen R5 1600 rig (stock CPU clocks) with GTX1070ti Gaming (X?) (stock clocks).

It defaulted to 10 CPU threads, should I reduce that to 5? How well does Ryzen's SMT fare with F@H?

It's showing a total PPD of 700,000, or just slightly above, with both CPU and GPU going, and CPU load is at 100% according to Task Manager. (Would probably like to leave a thread free for web browsing, although it's not too slow for it right now.)

Edit: I daresay, I think that this is the first time (?) I've been up over 1Mil PPD across my machines. And I only have my two Nvidia GPUs crunching, along with their host CPUs right now.

I might keep it this way, as I really sort of need my mining too.

Although, if someone can explain FoldingCoin, and how to consistently convert it to fiat without a lot of hassle every few days, I would consider that.

Also noticed, that I must have hit 50Mil total during the Dec., race, or maybe when I rebooted my HP Power Gaming rig, that has F@H set to auto-start, so it might have been doing BOTH F@H and mining with NiceHash. Gah.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yup, start now. Starts Mon, 10 AM PST
You mean 11am PDT?
This FoldingCoin thing, other than changing my name, and not continuing on with my existing stats... do I also need a wallet for these coins, and how do you exchange them for fiat?
Those are the right questions. The FoldingCoin browser will set up a CounterParty wallet. The two major exchanges seem to be Bittrex and Poloniex. And that's as far as I got asking questions in the Discord channel today. They say they'll have more step-by-step instructions Monday.

Edit: Oh, there seem to be some issues. Bittrex isn't accepting new accounts, and somebody says, "Afaik Poloniex currently has all Counterparty assets disabled, including FLDC". o_O

Oh, and they only do distributions once a month, so you won't get any coins until one of the first few days of April.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
guys i think something is not quite right with my setup. so, basically, i'm pretty sure F@H is not fully utilizing my resources. back when i did my test run, on saturday, my 1070 was clocking 620k PPD, which is already down if we look at the estimates (should be around 750). now i've installed the 970, and that one too is underperforming, at 250k PPD instead of around 300-350. the 1070 dropped to around 530-550k. only clue i have about this is that suddenly, the gpu utilization i read in msi afterburner is around 80-85% instead of 99% like it was on the test run. it's not an issue with clocks, i'm running the 1070 at 2000mhz. the 970 is at stock because since it's not being used as a graphics card, afterburner does not permit me to overclock it (and besides, i'm already soaking up most of my PSU power budget, wouldn't want to risk burning it). so yeah, any ideas? drivers again? anyone knows what's the latest nvidia driver that is known to play nice with F@H? may have to try that.

Last edited: