Folding@Home Strikes Back: Tom's Vs Anand Part 2 (March 12th)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Well, I'm in, with a i5-7400 and GTX1060 3GB, at least. That's maybe all I can afford to donate this month, I had already budgeted including my mining income, kind of down to the wire. :(
My OEM NV GTX1060 3GB is only making less than $1 USD/day. It's almost not even worth running it.
Wait, Larry, that's all you're making with Nicehash? That's about what I'm making with FoldingCoin, not including what I could be making on the CureCoin team. Even despite the fact FoldingCoin has tanked over the past few days. :(

If you want to run FoldingCoin, you should set up your new username as soon as possible, and run your first 10 WUs on your CPUs since they don't count for much.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Is there any value in my CPU doing the work? I have a Ryzen 1700 and an RX460; it seems pretty under-powered for this kind of GPU intensive work?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Is there any value in my CPU doing the work? I have a Ryzen 1700 and an RX460; it seems pretty under-powered for this kind of GPU intensive work?
Try it now, and see what the ppd is.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Ah, I forgot about the usual GPU Performance table.
Here you go.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html

Screenshot-2017-12-2_GPU_Folding_Projects_-_Performance_1.png

Screenshot-2017-12-2_GPU_Folding_Projects_-_Performance.png

Reactions: Ken g6

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I see you guys are 400k-1million+ ppd, my 32kppd seems like a waste of electricity.
fah2018 by Michael Coustier, on Flickr
Do you have 10 units done so far ? if not that 32k could become 300k

Edit: just saw the post above. You should use fahcontrol, to control whether CPU or GPU or both are used

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
And if you guys need anything else, please let me know.:)

Since you offering, a few GTX 1080ti cards will help us out quite a bit. ;)

On a serious note, I was able to snag a GTX 1070ti ($609!!!!! :mad: ), and provided it's not DOA, I'll have it ready to go in time for the competition, and it should get my PPD up to around 2 million.

These GPU prices (and availability) are just absolutely insane right now.

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
If you could drag Ian, Nate, and other AT staff into this race, that would be great!
The rules of the contest are actually that the employees aren't allowed to participate. This is because using our lab equipment would be unfair for both sides. It would be like organizing a community basketball tournament and having Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry show up to participate.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I see you guys are 400k-1million+ ppd, my 32kppd seems like a waste of electricity.
As others noted, after your host completed 10 WUs successfully, credits will go up because the project servers will start giving "quick return bonus", as it's then assumed that your host is reliable.

Re "waste of electricity": The actual amount of protein folding simulation done per kWh is about the same within a given GPU generation, regardless if the GPU is small or big. But it's true that credits/kWh to some degree gets better with larger GPUs because of Folding@Home's quick return bonus.

Re others' PPD: Currently, EOC's Team AnandTech stats and Tom's Hardware stats are showing the "average" PPD per user to be 390 k and 380 k, respectively. But keep in mind that this number is a little bit skewed: Before this race, this average is driven up because few but very dedicated folders are at work. Within the race, hopefully many contributors with more normal (and typically not as optimized) gear will show up.

Our performance will not just depend on the few guys who have several and big GPUs, but it will also depend very much on how many TeAm mates with just one and more commonly sized GPU will join!

PS,
folding on CPUs however is a different matter. The folding performance gap between CPUs and GPUs is so large that folding on CPUs would often be a waste indeed. Depending on a host's CPU(s)+GPU(s) combination, it may in the end be more effective to let the CPUs just serve by supporting the GPU slot. The GPU folding application generally profits from having one spare CPU core all to itself, from the CPU running at turbo, and from the CPU not having an AVX- and memory-intensive workload (like CPU folding) in parallel. Hosts with a Threadripper or dual-socket Xeons or the like might still do well at CPU folding though, during a short race like this at least.

Reactions: CuriousMike

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Currently, EOC's Team AnandTech stats and Tom's Hardware stats are showing the "average" PPD per user to be 390 k and 380 k, respectively. But keep in mind that this number is a little bit skewed:
The average is actually very much skewed by the biggest producers.
The median PPDs* are: 16 k for TeAm Anandtech, and 19 k for Tom's Hardware.

*) per-user weekly average, not counting users with 0 production this week

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
The rules of the contest are actually that the employees aren't allowed to participate. This is because using our lab equipment would be unfair for both sides. It would be like organizing a community basketball tournament and having Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry show up to participate.
Bummer. Really want to witness Titan V at work, but it's a fair rule and I respect that.

Depending on a host's CPU(s)+GPU(s) combination, it may in the end be more effective to let the CPUs just serve by supporting the GPU slot.
Is there any way to set F@H CPU client to let 1 or 2 core free for feeding GPU client?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Is there any way to set F@H CPU client to let 1 or 2 core free for feeding GPU client?
Not explicitly. Just like in boinc you only can configure how many processor threads the CPU slot is allowed to use, but not which ones it is not allowed to use.
(In "advanced control" = fahcontrol, go to Configure -> Slots -> select the CPU slot -> Edit -> modify the number of CPU threads this slot may use -> OK -> Save.)

Reactions: ao_ika_red

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Not explicitly. Just like in boinc you only can configure how many processor threads the CPU slot is allowed to use, but not which ones it is not allowed to use.
(In "advanced control" = fahcontrol, go to Configure -> Slots -> select the CPU slot -> Edit -> modify the number of CPU threads this slot may use -> OK -> Save.)
Here I'm expecting some app_config equivalent, thankfully, it's much simpler than that. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2016
Hello people. just like i did for the christmas race, i'm here to answer the call and am ready to crank out as many PPD as possible. i'm also better equipped than last year: i've now got a 1070 instead of double 970s. thing is, one of those 970s is still in my possession since i kept it as a backup card. unless F@H is a pain, i'll put her back in the case tomorrow and i should be able to have her fold 24/7. unfortunately i'll have to use the 1070 for some hours for gaming and stuff in the evening, but the rest of the day, i'll clock around 1 million PPD :sunglasses:

BTW, any chance we may be able to set up an in-house race like last time? it was a lot of fun! although it seems that this one has been a bit sudden and maybe there's not enough time anymore. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I finally got power back after the latest nor'easter moved through New England. Spending 36 hours huddled around a small space heater trying to keep warm was not an ideal family experience. My small generator failed (bad news) but the good news was it died an hour before the power was restored. I got my 2 rigs up and running and everything seemed to be ok so I decided to jump in on FAH early. :)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
BTW, any chance we may be able to set up an in-house race like last time? it was a lot of fun! although it seems that this one has been a bit sudden and maybe there's not enough time anymore. :/
Our stats master, @petrusbroder is on vacation this time. I had planned to automate his individual stats, but I never quite got around to it. Not to mention the whole "picking two teams" thing he's so good at. So I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Help, went to download F@H and get a "can't connect securely to this page" This might be because the site
uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. I have a fairly new install of win 10, what settings did I screw up.
I get on the main F@H page fine with my laptop. Stupid windows.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Help, went to download F@H and get a "can't connect securely to this page" This might be because the site
uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. I have a fairly new install of win 10, what settings did I screw up.
I get on the main F@H page fine with my laptop. Stupid windows.
Well, download it to the laptop, then copy to your main rig.

Reactions: Ken g6