Folding@Home on the Core 2 Duo

Kougar

Apr 25, 2002
I thought I'd have some fun with the multitude of folding stats located at http://www.fahinfo.org/index.php When I realized there were some new uploads on a Core 2 Duo there, I started playing around with the CPU PPD/ghz charts for it...

Some brief info, the stats were uploaded from a Merom core, which is simply a mobile variant of the Conroe core, performance is almost identical but naturally tipped towards Conroe. Secondly, Conroe seems to OC pretty well with the newer B0 stepping revisions, and 3.8ghz is being done on stock voltages OR air cooling, perhaps both but I've not seen it yet.

I'll reiterate that I know there isn't enough data yet for a full conclusion, but I'm doing this just for some fun ;)

Since Merom/Conroe are true dual-core CPUs, I'll start with two theoretical charts of a AMD X2 @ 3ghz against my planned Conroe @ 3.8ghz:

Graph 1

Graph 2

For some non Overclocked charts, here's a 2.67ghz Conroe vs a 2.8ghz AMD X2, the best approximation I can get to a FX62:

Graph 1

Graph 2

Finally what I was most interested in, some PPD figures against my current 3.42ghz Northwood, with HT off:

Graph 1

Graph 2

I would naturally assume that people were running two instances of Folding@home on both of the dual-core processors... but if so I'd have expected more of a difference between my processor and a dual-core if that was the case? Or do these charts only take into account a single instance of folding being done?

To bad Kentsfield is so far off, oh well... :frown:

Edited for the infamous typos...

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Thanks Kougar :thumbsup:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

Fun times ahead :D

Kougar

Apr 25, 2002
Well, by now I'm sure more WUs have been turned in, to provide a more balanced sampling than the above charts!

The thing is... there are already two large threads I know of chock full of Kentsfield benchmarks, from the stock 2.4ghz to the max stock voltage overclock of 3.2ghz...

I swear if Conroe looks like a dream come true for sheer crunching power, then doubling it all on a single CPU package would be pure nirvana for folding@home work ;) It might even compare to folding on a GPU... lol

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Yikes! I think my firewall (with the old Duron) is getting too old to handle my DSL connection at full speed, and needs an upgrade... :p

;)

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
I can't wait to get my greedy DC hands on one of these babies! :p ....my poor wallet is going to take a hit, lol. :D