Folding@Home GPU Client Updates?

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I looked online & didn't find much up to date info.

Anyone else?

I sure would put some Nvidia GPU's to work if I could ;)

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
To my knowledge this idea has been in the run for quite some time now but I've never heard any real advancement or results as of yet.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MDE
Has anyone heard anything new on the F@H GPU client?

I found the following Vijay Pande quote in Big Clearspeed News thread.

The problem with the Cell is that the PE's can get easily memory starved -- dividing up the work on them is really tricky. CS is very different (the API is much more straightforward). Nevertheless, we're interested in both. Considering how long it's taken to get GPUs and CS going, don't expect the Cell anytime soon. Then again, the PS3 likely won't come out this year either.

CS = Clearspeed

I part I bolded gives away a little info.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Since I'm not registered on that forum and you appear to be a regular, could you ask Pande bluntly about the GPU client and a possible beta, or even what cards it'll run on?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MDE
Since I'm not registered on that forum and you appear to be a regular, could you ask Pande bluntly about the GPU client and a possible beta, or even what cards it'll run on?

Many people have bluntly asked about the GPU client. PandeGroup does not give out much info about things that are in the future. Probably don't want to give false hope.

I was surprised by the quote above. It seems to say quite a bit.