Folding@Home bigadv EOL 3rd Anniversary Challenge: [H] vs TAAT

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hey watch the trash talking!:tongueout:
I was thinking of pulling a couple cards out to work on other things. All I needed was one person to say they were staying in, to stay all in for the duration.
Interesting that I’m running the same 4 cards I ran in early in January at the EVGA Time Zone Challenge, and getting an extra 1.5-2 million more ppd here. Go figure!
Hey, I still have all my cards in. BUT. I decided to try underwatting them to save money Every card I have is running at 200 watts except the 3080TI is running at 250 (instead of 400) The 3070TI default is 350 ! The 3080TI is still getting 9 million ppd, and the 3070 is getting 5.3m. The 2080TI's default to 260, and they are all at 200. My total at the moment is still 46m (the same its been all race). So I am saving over 600 un-needed watts !

Bastiaan_NL

Jan 26, 2022
Good afternoon / evening everyone,

I'm sorry if the 3 of us joining [H] has caused any bad feelings among you, but it was never intended to ruin anything. For me the biggest reason to join firedfly and [H] was to thank him for all his help, not only for EHW but also F@H in general, trouble shooting errors, improving HFM and so on. I like competitions because it's an extra motivation to put all my hardware online instead of my 24/7 systems and I'm pretty sure @BWG feels the same way. I hope everyone will keep their hardware online as much as possible for the remainder of this competition, just to see what we are capable of together!

@Markfw
That's a nice saving, over here it would be around €0.15 an hour.
I should try powerlimiting my hardware too instead of maxing everything :)

Last edited:

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Power limiting is why I wanted to see RFGuy's numbers from last year. But since he clearly didn't run all of these, I have no basis on how well they are doing under my roof. I do have each of them limited to only 60% power but need to get a power meter before I do more thorough testing with them. I want to tweak them for a sweet spot but also not trip breakers.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Power limiting is why I wanted to see RFGuy's numbers from last year. But since he clearly didn't run all of these, I have no basis on how well they are doing under my roof. I do have each of them limited to only 60% power but need to get a power meter before I do more thorough testing with them. I want to tweak them for a sweet spot but also not trip breakers.
My newest rig, a 5950x + 3080TI was taking 625.Now its taking 500. This is at the wall kill-a-watt numbers. 125 watt savings on ONE box.

Reactions: thecoolnessrune

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
This blog (no updates in like a year, though) has some numbers buried in it from when he was testing at various levels of reduced PPT.

Might be something you're interested in there.

Reactions: the901

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
This blog (no updates in like a year, though) has some numbers buried in it from when he was testing at various levels of reduced PPT.

Might be something you're interested in there.
Thanks. I will bookmark it. Most of my rigs are older and may skew some numbers based on that factor so will definitely need to pick up a kill-a-watt device soon. The good news is that I now am up to 2 DDR4 capable rigs in my arsenal...lol.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have an idea.... Why don't we have a CPU type race. Pick a WCG race that is CPU only ? Most of them are CPU only. And no worries about EOC stats. Well, of course free-dc stats could go down....

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
I have an idea.... Why don't we have a CPU type race. Pick a WCG race that is CPU only ? Most of them are CPU only. And no worries about EOC stats. Well, of course free-dc stats could go down....
Free-dc going down isn't the concern as much as WCG stats exporting going down for some reason. You could host the event directly off of their page if you wanted. However, I think most are WCG'd out by this time of year since most would have already contributed to the WCG Birthday event by SETI.Germany in November and many still contribute to the yearly X-mas challenge which goes all of December (though we skipped it this year due to lack of interest). This is also assuming people still have no interest in Formula-BOINC and what-not. I'm still on the fence with WCG after the move to their new home. I'm not exactly loving their website changes and doesn't seem like they will be pushing any new projects soon either as they focus on ironing out things from the transition. This is also assuming that WCG doesn't get chosen a second year in a row for the Pentathlon now that they are changing up the rules.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Free-dc going down isn't the concern as much as WCG stats exporting going down for some reason. You could host the event directly off of their page if you wanted. However, I think most are WCG'd out by this time of year since most would have already contributed to the WCG Birthday event by SETI.Germany in November and many still contribute to the yearly X-mas challenge which goes all of December (though we skipped it this year due to lack of interest). This is also assuming people still have no interest in Formula-BOINC and what-not. I'm still on the fence with WCG after the move to their new home. I'm not exactly loving their website changes and doesn't seem like they will be pushing any new projects soon either as they focus on ironing out things from the transition. This is also assuming that WCG doesn't get chosen a second year in a row for the Pentathlon now that they are changing up the rules.
I was thinking just our two teams.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Good afternoon / evening everyone,

I'm sorry if the 3 of us joining [H] has caused any bad feelings among you, but it was never intended to ruin anything. For me the biggest reason to join firedfly and [H] was to thank him for all his help, not only for EHW but also F@H in general, trouble shooting errors, improving HFM and so on. I like competitions because it's an extra motivation to put all my hardware online instead of my 24/7 systems and I'm pretty sure @BWG feels the same way. I hope everyone will keep their hardware online as much as possible for the remainder of this competition, just to see what we are capable of together!

@Markfw
That's a nice saving, over here it would be around €0.15 an hour.
I should try powerlimiting my hardware too instead of maxing everything :)
Here its a little over 7 cents an hours. Thats still $54 of pure waste/savings for me. My electric bill I just paid was $780, just so you know. I don't mine, all my computer power is for cancer research.

Reactions: Bastiaan_NL

motqalden

Jun 13, 2009
I'm running all my 3070's power limited, but mostly because I would max my sockets out and or melt them otherwise since they are 2 to a rig. I agree its not really worth going full tilt. I lost only 1M points on my 3090 going from 100% down to 75% so like 25% less power for <10% performance drop

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm running all my 3070's power limited, but mostly because I would max my sockets out and or melt them otherwise since they are 2 to a rig. I agree its not really worth going full tilt. I lost only 1M points on my 3090 going from 100% down to 75% so like 25% less power for <10% performance drop
What wattage are you running your 3070's at ? I have not decided how low to go on that one.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, for what its worth, at least I am holding on to number one in the team.... barely.

Edit.... NO, biodoc did not order by points, I am number 2 :( But wait, thats a good thing sort of (for the team). :)

Now if only @Skillz would fire up something......

motqalden

Jun 13, 2009
What wattage are you running your 3070's at ? I have not decided how low to go on that one.

not too low. 200w where most of them are between 220-240 stock
I basically bumped it as much as I could power and temps willing.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Skillz said:

I'm referring to this FAH BigAdv challenge to "commemorate" the ending of BigAdv on Jan 31st ;) .

Yeah we all hate that decision :innocent:
FWIW, that challenge was the first year of the 'Friendly FAH ~week long competition between TAAT and [H]. It evolved into the BigADV challenge but that was definitely the first year of it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I have been folding now for a while on my 3090, and I see I have a ton of points. That is good. But I will have to shut everything down tonight as tomorrow morning I will be traveling.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I have been folding now for a while on my 3090, and I see I have a ton of points. That is good. But I will have to shut everything down tonight as tomorrow morning I will be traveling.
Thanks for joining in! If you can join back in the challenge after traveling that's cool but if not hopefully we see you around in other FAH or BOINC competitions :) A lot of them are good to even just throw a few CPU cores at without going all out.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Apropos the previous bigadv EOL races:
2020: xii5ku -- 0 points (I took a time off from DC then, IIRC)
2021: xii5ku -- 144 M points (CPU WUs were not counted due to another F@H infrastructure problem)
2022: xii5ku -- ??? M points (will stats come back?)
EOC stats update:
It somehow looks as if F@H is exporting stats about once a day now, using a routine which takes several hours to complete. Maybe it is still broken but they have an intern doing some ad hoc database updates.

Also, apparently I will beat my 2021 bigadv EOL score during the next few hours. That's even though I started a little late this year and I did not add a single piece of hardware since that time. But I am folding considerably faster than in 2021 now because of (a) the CUDA port of fahcore_22, (b) this year, CPU WUs are credited. I haven't done the math which one is the bigger factor between these two, but it's probably (b).

Anyhow, today after work I'll be powering everything down which exceeds the actual heating requirements of my apartment. (I.e. just a small fraction of my gear will stay.) To me there is, frankly, nothing interesting to achieve here after I beat my personal 2021 result.

My electric bill I just paid was $780,
I'm at ~$760 each month (until the next yearly bill which is in fall). That's almost entirely for DC, I don't have A/C or other power hungry devices.

Last edited: