Folding@Home bigadv EOL 3rd Anniversary Challenge: [H] vs TAAT

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Well if this continues I vote for a race within a race (Stefan T.M.) :p

The way I see it is:
TAAT = 3x = 582+ change.
{H} = 556 + change.

<H> better step it up a bit :cool:

Plus for those that know Stefan5R5 / R2D2, there is always Pi if TAAT needs some help :oops:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, not sure what you mean on really low ppd, but your second comment is normal. After you get a unit, it takes a bit to calculate PPD,. I have very fast boxes and cards, so most of mine level out at 2% or so, but not sure what % yours at at when you say "running a while", but most likely normal.
Example here: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/gp104gl_quadro_p4000

All of the results in the database for the Quadro P4000 are mine. Average PPD is just over 1M. One task only scored 120K PPD. That one didn't only start out with a low estimate. It was just a crappy score for a long task and never jumped up to "normal" scores for the other tasks.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Just want everyone to know that this is very serious business. What everyone is contributing too for the benefit of humanity and the planet is of value to say it with "words".

The current challenge amongst friendly teams? I followed the website +H- for years and they were bard hitting. Though I only checked out the forums on there on an as needed basis...

Anyway. This is a serious race and we should all go for the throat, or other important puter silicon part!

I'll leave you all with this you altruisticics! Too hopefully lighten the mood. Though $heard% is going down... assuming we get to divide by 3 or so :)

Edit for spelling and cause of piss poor beer. Don't buy bulk I.P.A. from your local "Warehouse" store. This "Kirkland" rebrand ipa soooks. :)

Double *H* edit, I know this show is not a U.S. original, but not bad, at least as not as bad as this I.P.A. Double HAHA. Two ~H~ in that :)

Last edited:

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Ugh, stats are down again. :(
Noticed that too when I woke up this morning. So I just updated our team user stat based on EOC xml file generated at 6am CST. Hopefully the next update will be more representative.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I got a bunch of points in the latest update. :)

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Thanks for the stats, @biodoc & @pututu :)

I'm afraid this is more than a two gerbil job................... :neutral:
Do not underestimate the power of the emperor... um... the cheering gerbils :D

But yeah, we'd need an entire legion of our best cheering gerbils to even think about getting close to them... ;) Honestly, we're actually 3rd in a match between two teams :D

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the stats, @biodoc & @pututu :)

Do not underestimate the power of the emperor... um... the cheering gerbils :D

But yeah, we'd need an entire legion of our best cheering gerbils to even think about getting close to them... ;) Honestly, we're actually 3rd in a match between two teams :D
AT's peak output during the December race was close to what [H] is outputting now if I'm reading the stats correctly. We just need to do more of... that.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the stats, biodoc!

Since there really isn't any way we can compete with the combined forces, I think I'm going to go ahead and switch back to my regular projects when my computers finish working on their current FAH tasks.

Reactions: Skillz

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The conclusion is foregone, but I don't know if it would be bad form for me to abandon the effort as well.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I am more or less back at the highest PPD which I reached in the December race. (And back at the same troubles to cool the flat.)

And it's weird: Right now, my "points today" at EOC exceed Mark's (but in turn are exceeded by another Mark's). Well, of course FAH's stats export, or less likely EOC's stats import, (edit: it's FAH, not EOC) is acting up again, so who knows what's up.

Anyway, I'll keep going and enjoy my shiny PPD. ... And will enjoy every minute I don't need to spend in the so-called living room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fardringle

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am still at 45-50m ppd, not sure what up.

Stats are ZERO 2 times in a row, borked again.

Last edited:

agentnathan009

May 22, 2010
I'm sure they'd be up for it! ;)

But what would be (slightly) more useful was if my GPU crunched it's normal ~400k ppd instead of the dire 70k it's showing for this WU atm! Wth is that about?? o_O
GPU clock is at normal (u/c @1266 MHz).
The conclusion is foregone, but I don't know if it would be bad form for me to abandon the effort as well.
You are doing it for a good cause and for the fun of it!

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
You and I have vastly different views on "fun." and it's not like he isn't going to use his GPUs for other DC projects.
Yup. I use my computer resources for lots of good causes. I just prefer to have them be BOINC projects.

Reactions: lane42

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I say this is a big problem with DC races that might be able to be mitigated at least :)

Rules can be devised that can level out races like other artificial human races :) Maybe?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Rules can be devised that can level out races like other artificial human races :) Maybe?
You mean a handicap? We have one. We have to register individually; [H] members don't. At this rate, next year they should have the handicap.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Well I don't have all the answers :)

The rules of the challenge can change based on number of participants, # points earned so far in the challenge, and other items.

Most of the rules / "twists" that my feebler brain has come up with has been around the goal of adding more value to the end result. So more productivity to each "cause". In the end that ends up as awarded "points".

Points or whatever comes from new hardware (likely newer the better), member recruitment, or additional hardware and the best software to implement the hardware.

I don't like the idea of any handycaps. I think the goal of any race or challenge should be to keep encouraging to strangle their "souls" (puter junk) to keep giving to the challenge all that they can give and the challenge rules should try to remove as much "gaming" of the system as possible. But there should always and likely will be "gaming" of the system!..

D.C. challenges are just games and gaming will hopefully be apart or "humans" will likely lose interest :)

Thought this "challenge" is likely over :) Plus I really have had too many I.P.A.'s with good friends tonight to be typing.. Typing is a challenge :)

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Thanks for the stats update, @biodoc :)

What a pace of [H], like a force of nature :) You guys are really at the top of your game this time, wow :)

What fraction of their total points can we score, within this race? 1/5? 1/4? 1/3? I don't see we can make 1/2, at the current rate of their production :D

BWG

Jan 11, 2022
That's because we didn't know the ExtremeHW team was going to join [H] for the competition.

We really like firedfly. We follow him everywhere just trying to get his autograph. ;)

Maybe we could suggest making it a 3 way battle next year? Collectively though, were all together doing more work than ever. That's what's fun for me. Hopefully, this helps the cause. My power meters spinning a double the rate it normally does.