Folding@Home bigadv EOL 3rd Anniversary Challenge: [H] vs TAAT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I'm in, 10esseetony, 4M-ish ppd.

were-putting-the-band-back-together-were-getting-back-together.gif

Whats the ppd ?

I looked at his stats and it appears he has finally started getting QRB on the WUs, but not enough for a full day. So he'd have to post what the FAHControl software is estimating. Though it's probably similar to what mine was doing ~11M PPD.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Now that we know what hardware BWG has, we just need to find 10 people with 3080TI or 3090's to join, and we can keep up with him ! I only have one....Shmee makes 2 but he may not be 100% usage.

Reactions: cellarnoise

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Whats the ppd ? Unless you are using it for a few days at 100% usage, I can't tell by the stats.
Hard to tell for sure, but I noticed around a 4 million to 7 million PPD estimate when folding at the following settings: F@H set to medium power, and GPU power limit set to 85% in afterburner. Any tips or tweaks for increasing this? I don't mind fiddling around, but I would prefer not to exceed 320W or so for DC, especially if my room is getting warmer at certain times of day.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Hard to tell for sure, but I noticed around a 4 million to 7 million PPD estimate when folding at the following settings: F@H set to medium power, and GPU power limit set to 85% in afterburner. Any tips or tweaks for increasing this? I don't mind fiddling around, but I would prefer not to exceed 320W or so for DC, especially if my room is getting warmer at certain times of day.

Are you not located in the Northern Hemisphere? We open our windows around this time of year so we can run all our pretty hardware wide open.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, leave the folding at full power, and set the GPU to full power... At least up to 90 or 95%. And leave you window open, its not that hot where you are. (60f). If you open Fahcontrol while running, in the lower right box, it says "Estimated PPD" and my 3070TI says almost 6 million ppd, and when I had mu 3080TI on it said 8-9 million ppd. Your 3090 should easily do 10 million ppd.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Fri 14
33°
-1° :eek:

Sat 15
11°
:eek:

Sun 16
26°
21°
Jermyn, Pennsylvania,
Temps coming up in my town,

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
When does this start?

I'm going all in and teaching the local squirrels math along with an unplanned new local family of several generations of squirrels, and apparently nuts, and zippers? When I started down this D.C. Rabbit Hole, I did not anticipate the squirrel factor and the budget for nuts and now they are telling me they like specific seeds?!

I do need some time as this is not as easy as it sounds, with squirrels :O

• Haha
Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
When does this start?

I'm going all in and teaching the local squirrels math along with an unplanned new local family of several generations of squirrels, and apparently nuts, and zippers? When I started down this D.C. Rabbit Hole, I did not anticipate the squirrel factor and the budget for nuts and now they are telling me they like specific seeds?!

I do need some time as this is not as easy as it sounds, with squirrels :O
The challenge will start at 12:00 UTC January 23rd (time 0 stats) and ends 12:00 UTC on January 30th. (quoted from post number one by @biodoc )

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
  • Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow crazy squirrel.

yodap

Jan 13, 2014
Ok, so question here, how do I configure F@H so that when I start it, it will not start folding until I tell it to go? Basically, that way I can launch it, I can view stats or make settings changes etc, but it should not start folding upon launch.
If you don't want to fold at boot-up, add the flag, pause-on-start and set the value to true.
Do that in the advanced view and the configure tab.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Well, leave the folding at full power, and set the GPU to full power... At least up to 90 or 95%. And leave you window open, its not that hot where you are. (60f). If you open Fahcontrol while running, in the lower right box, it says "Estimated PPD" and my 3070TI says almost 6 million ppd, and when I had mu 3080TI on it said 8-9 million ppd. Your 3090 should easily do 10 million ppd.
Where do I find fahcontrol?
EDIT: is that the same as the advanced control option for F@H? I just noticed that.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Where do I find fahcontrol?
EDIT: is that the same as the advanced control option for F@H? I just noticed that.
well is this windows or linux ? If windows, it should be on the menu. If linux, its a separate program to install.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah windows 10 here. I think I figured it out. With folding power to full, and stock GPU settings, I am getting just under 8 million PPD estimated. Ok, now it says just over 8 million ppd and climbing.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah windows 10 here. I think I figured it out. With folding power to full, and stock GPU settings, I am getting just under 8 million PPD estimated. Ok, now it says just over 8 million ppd and climbing.
Ok, now that PPD WILL vary by unit, and a little even with the same unit. Maybe I will fire my 3080TI up, and compare times with you, as they should be close. When you get to 50% the PPD should be accurate. Reply back and let us know how you are doing.

P.S. I NEVER overclock my video cards. stock works good, it does NOT overstress the card. Just have lots of air flow around it, all my cases are open.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Something I've wondered in the past, for "time 0 stats", is it fine to let your Folding rig continue simply processing the workloads its been working on, or is it better to Finish, pause till start time, then start? Is there any difference between the two methodologies?

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
The 3070ti is now running. Current work unit is running at 5.5mil ppd estimated, so its not all that far off of Mark's 3070ti. I under estimated just how long this card would be and had to play musical cases to get my 6700XT, 1080ti, and 3070ti all running concurrently, but its all up for now. After the contest, I'll put a waterblock on the 3070ti and then play musical cases again.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The 3070ti is now running. Current work unit is running at 5.5mil ppd estimated, so its not all that far off of Mark's 3070ti. I under estimated just how long this card would be and had to play musical cases to get my 6700XT, 1080ti, and 3070ti all running concurrently, but its all up for now. After the contest, I'll put a waterblock on the 3070ti and then play musical cases again.
And it will vary. Right now I am doing 5.8 on a 18201, and I have one 2080TI doing 6.2 on that unit, and another doing 5.8. That must be a good unit ! I have seen it as low as 4 mil ppd, but thats rare. 5-6m is the norm.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Something I've wondered in the past, for "time 0 stats", is it fine to let your Folding rig continue simply processing the workloads its been working on, or is it better to Finish, pause till start time, then start? Is there any difference between the two methodologies?

The gains will be minimum, but you could ensure they your GPUs all finish a WU a few minutes AFTER the official start time. So you'd start a WU before the start time, but make sure they'd complete right after the competition starts. The trick here is to ensure you don't hold the WUs, because you'd lose a lot on the Quick Return Bonus. So if you have multiple GPU types you would have to start them all at different times to ensure they finish their work units right after the start. Each work unit, even of the same time, varies a good bit on how long it takes, so it would be really hard to get them to complete a few minutes after the official start.

Realistically, it's best to just start the day before (night before) the race starts.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The gains will be minimum, but you could ensure they your GPUs all finish a WU a few minutes AFTER the official start time. So you'd start a WU before the start time, but make sure they'd complete right after the competition starts. The trick here is to ensure you don't hold the WUs, because you'd lose a lot on the Quick Return Bonus. So if you have multiple GPU types you would have to start them all at different times to ensure they finish their work units right after the start. Each work unit, even of the same time, varies a good bit on how long it takes, so it would be really hard to get them to complete a few minutes after the official start.

Realistically, it's best to just start the day before (night before) the race starts.
The thing is, if you have multiple cards, and they are 2080 or faster, they finish in 2 hours, so over a weeks time, its just not worth it to loose the bonus for idle time or miss something.

I say just lets them run. BUT... The whole reason you have 2 weeks, is to make sure they are all running at full speed, and all the bugs are worked out of your setup. This is only a one week contest, and no bunkers work for F@H.