Folding@Home bigadv EOL 3rd Anniversary Challenge: [H] vs TAAT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes, at stock (everything auto) in windows it will crash with 2 WHEA errors every few hours running a 30 core CPU slot and a GPU slot. I can resolve this 2 ways: 1) switch to eco mode. 2) enable precision boost overdrive and apply a positive voltage curve.

i could certainly resolve this by RMAing the chip as it was a fairly common problem with the Nov and Dec 2020 5950s, but that would be a PITA given my custom loop. I’m also not sure what the warranty period is
Maybe memory ? Of course we can also blame windows... I don't know. I can't find the date of my first one.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yes, at stock (everything auto) in windows it will crash with 2 WHEA errors every few hours running a 30 core CPU slot and a GPU slot. I can resolve this 2 ways: 1) switch to eco mode. 2) enable precision boost overdrive and apply a positive voltage curve.

i could certainly resolve this by RMAing the chip as it was a fairly common problem with the Nov and Dec 2020 5950s, but that would be a PITA given my custom loop. I’m also not sure what the warranty period is
A CPU in eco mode produces way more than no CPU at all. And who knows how long an RMA would take with supply chain issues.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
A CPU in eco mode produces way more than no CPU at all. And who knows how long an RMA would take with supply chain issues.
This is true. And Honestly, this CPU is destined to be my upgrade to my freenas, and when that happens it will be moved to ECO mode permanently. Yet another reason why I’m not super excited to RMA it.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Markfw

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok, so I just installed F@H again, and it found my profile right away. I am ShmeeCow team 198. It looks like I even have a passkey saved. I will give this a try.

Question, better to use medium or full power? Right now I am on medium. Also, do I need to select which project?

Yikes, my 3090 is getting toasty. I may reduce power well under 300W. Like 75% or something power limit. HwInfo64 says about 370W right now!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Ok, so I just installed F@H again, and it found my profile right away. I am ShmeeCow team 198. It looks like I even have a passkey saved. I will give this a try.

Question, better to use medium or full power? Right now I am on medium. Also, do I need to select which project?

Yikes, my 3090 is getting toasty. I may reduce power well under 300W. Like 75% or something power limit. HwInfo64 says about 370W right now!
My 3080TI runs almost 400 watt. Its EVGA and stock, so I don't worry.

I found you... place #572 in team Anandtech. 11 million points. That will change fast !

Reactions: Endgame124

BWG

Jan 11, 2022

Full would be best. Are you running the fans on auto? Maybe ramp them up, I run mine at 100%, but it's noisy.

Good luck 😉

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008

I don't have a 3090, but I've found basically no difference in PPD running my 1080ti at 80% PPT vs 100% PPT. When my 3070ti comes in (now scheduled for Thursday, stupid UPS), I'll play with it some.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I don't have a 3090, but I've found basically no difference in PPD running my 1080ti at 80% PPT vs 100% PPT. When my 3070ti comes in (now scheduled for Thursday, stupid UPS), I'll play with it some.

When I look at my 1080Ti stats while Folding, it very rarely ever goes above 80% power envelope, so shouldn't one see the same outcome anyways whether they leave the slider at 80% or 100%?

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
It always takes me a few tries before I can find this page, but I basically use the medium setting and delete all CPU slots, but that is because my rigs are FAH only rigs and light on CPU's.

Of course, if you have enough CPU's to make it worthwhile like @Markfw and others, you will take another tack.

FAH Power Slider

BWG

Jan 11, 2022
I'll switch over my 2 1080Ti rigs from BOINC + F@H to F@H exclusively for the week :) so I'm in again just like last year! Gonna need a lot more than me to make up for that 115M HardOCP guy :D

thecoolnessrune - thecoolnessrune

Hey, at least you got a heads up rather than just surprised by it.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
@BWG feel free to not answer this if you don't want to (or PM me if you don't want to post it publicly), but I was curious how you're providing enough electrical power for 115 million PPD. My guess would be getting some extra 240v circuits added and then using PDU's? Or I guess maybe being fortunate to have a house that already had a lot of regular 120v circuits and just spacing the machines out strategically around the house? It seems like it's pretty easy to hit a point where you just don't have enough electrical to add any more PPD, and in my experience it's far under 115 million PPD for most.

BWG

Jan 11, 2022
@BWG feel free to not answer this if you don't want to (or PM me if you don't want to post it publicly), but I was curious how you're providing enough electrical power for 115 million PPD. My guess would be getting some extra 240v circuits added and then using PDU's? Or I guess maybe being fortunate to have a house that already had a lot of regular 120v circuits and just spacing the machines out strategically around the house? It seems like it's pretty easy to hit a point where you just don't have enough electrical to add any more PPD, and in my experience it's far under 115 million PPD for most.

I built an office in a detached garage that has 100 amps going to it. 120v/240v mixture from there.

Edit: I guess it would make more sense to explain the setup. It's a lot of 9-10 million ppd GPU's: 2x 3090, 8x 3080ti, 3080, 3070, 3060, 2080 TI, 2080, 960. So, not the small PPD ones. Good leveraging of PCI Express 4.0 across the board except for those not needing it. Some are no doubt 90% due to slot speed at 4x, but 10 are 8x.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok, so question here, how do I configure F@H so that when I start it, it will not start folding until I tell it to go? Basically, that way I can launch it, I can view stats or make settings changes etc, but it should not start folding upon launch.

BWG

Jan 11, 2022
Ok, so question here, how do I configure F@H so that when I start it, it will not start folding until I tell it to go? Basically, that way I can launch it, I can view stats or make settings changes etc, but it should not start folding upon launch.

Finish your work unit, and then pause the slot(s) manually yourself. They won't start then.

Reactions: thecoolnessrune