Folding@Home bigadv EOL 3rd Anniversary Challenge: [H] vs TAAT

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
@biodoc, worst comes to worst, just keep folding during the challenge period and hope that the stats will show up during that week and take it from there?
So we run a shorter race? If we keep the race length to 7 days we will run into February and both teams might lose people to the "Tour de Primes" (PrimeGrid event).

motqalden

Jun 13, 2009
So we run a shorter race? If we keep the race length to 7 days we will run into February and both teams might lose people to the "Tour de Primes" (PrimeGrid event).

I don't think anyone is suggesting to change the schedule or duration. The suggestion is to go ahead as planned even if the stats are not working by the start and hope that they come back sometimes during the scheduled race. would kind of be like a surprise bunker of sorts.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Do results get added to that database automatically from the Folding@home site stats, or do they need to be submitted manually somehow?

I noticed that there aren't any entries for my Quadro P4000, so I'd like to change that. ;)

You have to add their chrome web extension to your host/computer for each computer's data you want added to their database.

Reactions: Fardringle

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You have to add their chrome web extension to your host/computer for each computer's data you want added to their database.
I have never done that. Or is it part of the fahcontrol in linux or ?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I have never done that. Or is it part of the fahcontrol in linux or ?

I am not too sure, never done it. I just read their page to get the info.

It seems to need to install their custom chrome dark extension on the host which would mean Chrome needs to be installed and then their chrome extension needs to be installed. Then it automatically pulls the PPD data for their web site.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am not too sure, never done it. I just read their page to get the info.

It seems to need to install their custom chrome dark extension on the host which would mean Chrome needs to be installed and then their chrome extension needs to be installed. Then it automatically pulls the PPD data for their web site.
Never had to do it. I think its related to the downtime. If I have no stats for any computer, why would a new one show up ?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Never had to do it. I think its related to the downtime. If I have no stats for any computer, why would a new one show up ?

Okay, I don't think you fully read all the replies or even went to that site.

That site, the one we're talking about, is just a list a bunch of hardware (CPU and GPU) and what their PPD averages are.

It has nothing to do with the stats, or the stats being down or the reporting of the stats.

If you'd click the link I posted: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks

Then you'll see it's just a chart with hardware PPD.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Okay, I don't think you fully read all the replies or even went to that site.

That site, the one we're talking about, is just a list a bunch of hardware (CPU and GPU) and what their PPD averages are.

It has nothing to do with the stats, or the stats being down or the reporting of the stats.

If you'd click the link I posted: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks

Then you'll see it's just a chart with hardware PPD.
And even that appears not very accurate. My 3080TI runs between 7 and 9 million ppd on linux. They say 7. The average should be at least 8.

Edit: shown by runtime. Mine will have a 50 minutes runtime, and they says 1 hour 14 minutes average. I am on a low ppd unit, so I should be even higher in runtime ?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
And even that appears not very accurate. My 3080TI runs between 7 and 9 million ppd on linux. They say 7. The average should be at least 8.

Click on the link, Mark.

You'll see they only have 10 samples for Linux with the lowest PPD being 6.2M and the highest PPD being 9.3M. So their sample size, for Linux, is only based on 10 WUs.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Click on the link, Mark.

You'll see they only have 10 samples for Linux with the lowest PPD being 6.2M and the highest PPD being 9.3M. So their sample size, for Linux, is only based on 10 WUs.
Yea, its a crap thing.....Not good stats with 10 sample size, and who knows how many systems. Of course my previous work units were on an EPYC box. I wonder if the 8 channel memory somehow makes them better. I will see now that its on a 5950x.

Edit: Interesting tidbit. Guess how much a fully loaded 5950x on CPU + 3080TI is pulling from the wall with 2 case fans and 2 cpu fans ? 615 watts. Most of that is the GPU, with 3 8 pin PCIE plugs ??? I would guess 400 watts or more just for that.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Yea, its a crap thing.....Not good stats with 10 sample size, and who knows how many systems. Of course my previous work units were on an EPYC box. I wonder if the 8 channel memory somehow makes them better. I will see now that its on a 5950x.

It is literally community driven. You want more stats for the 3080Ti under Linux, then download their Chrome extension and run it on your hosts. From what I can tell, it literally takes the data from FAHControl and just uploads it to their site. Their extension is a dark themed FAHControl extension for Chrome.

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Keep the challenge on schedule as it is. If there is no stat on day 1 but on day 2, then all stats will be based on day 2 onwards. I'm not sure if and when they do manage to recover the failed drive, it will still include previously both the hourly and daily numbers. Usually there is a spike in the output like bunker drop, iirc. It will include stats outside the challenge period, so we should ignore it. What do you think?

The good thing is that no one knows when they will fix the failed drive, so best to continue folding during the challenge period and not try to time when the stats will be up ;)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Keep the challenge on schedule as it is. If there is no stat on day 1 but on day 2, then all stats will be based on day 2 onwards. I'm not sure if and when they do manage to recover the failed drive, it will still include previously both the hourly and daily numbers. Usually there is a spike in the output like bunker drop, iirc. It will include stats outside the challenge period, so we should ignore it. What do you think?

The good thing is that no one knows when they will fix the failed drive, so best to continue folding during the challenge period and not try to time when the stats will be up ;)
I vote to exclude the bunker type stat(the first after recovery). With my ppd, I should vote the other way, but I think its more fair.

Reactions: motqalden

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I too vote that the challenge should start when the stats are fixed. Mostly because I do not want to run F@H and will only run it if the team is behind, just like I did last year. I'd much rather my GPUs stick to mining for now.

motqalden

Jun 13, 2009
I too vote that the challenge should start when the stats are fixed. Mostly because I do not want to run F@H and will only run it if the team is behind, just like I did last year. I'd much rather my GPUs stick to mining for now.

Not like mining is terribly profitable right now :p

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Not like mining is terribly profitable right now :p

If counting the USD value of what you are mining then yes. You are correct. This only applies to the people who convert what they mine to USD quickly on a daily, weekly or even a monthly basis.

I, on the other hand, hold onto all the crypto I mine. I haven't sold any of it. The amount of crypto I am mining hasn't changed much since last month. With the exception of ravencoin, which recently had a halving event. So I am mining about 40% less RVN than I was the month prior. This has nothing to do with the value of the coin. If you was mining 1.1 ETH last month then you'll still be mining 1.1 ETH this month. The only difference is ETH was worth about $4k last month vs $2.7k (or whatever it is) this month.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I vote to exclude the bunker type stat(the first after recovery). With my ppd, I should vote the other way, but I think its more fair.
Agreed. If you include it, that would (I think) also include anything that was returned during the entire outage period.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Usually there is a spike in the output like bunker drop, iirc. It will include stats outside the challenge period, so we should ignore it. What do you think?
I agree, we should ignore the "spike/bunker drop". Good, we have a plan moving forward. :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Less than 12 hours to go. Just had what would have been an update to EOC stats, and still zero. Not looking good, but we can always hope.

Reactions: Ken g6

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not like mining is terribly profitable right now
That's what I'm thinking. Is it too late to sign up 2x GTX 1660 ti and 2x GTX 1660 super cards? They're in a pair of identical Z170 mobos, with G4560 CPUs (Kaby Lake dual-core w/HT). I think that they both have 2x8GB DDR4, but one of them, I think that I saw a RAM stick hanging down, so maybe they need some TLC. But they're still running, currently, mining, and I could switch them over to Folding in a few clicks.

LMK if it's too late to sign up.

Edit: Can't seem to remote into the PC with the 2x GTX 1660 Super(s). I guess 2x GTX 1660ti is all you're gonna get from me currently. Around 1.9mil PPD (est).

Last edited: