Florist Hit With 2 Lawsuits For Refusing To Serve Gay Couple

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If the florist can get a jury trial for this in her home county...the odds are in her favor.
Benton county rejected the gay marriage referendum almost 2:1. (63% / 36%)

That's a substantial if and there are now two separate legal actions pending. I wouldn't want to be the defendant playing those odds that a judge will not approve a change of venue or that whatever jury is selected would find in my favor (given the super weak legal defense). The fees alone will probably put them under.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's a substantial if and there are now two separate legal actions pending. I wouldn't want to be the defendant playing those odds that a judge will not approve a change of venue or that whatever jury is selected would find in my favor (given the super weak legal defense). The fees alone will probably put them under.

I agree on all counts...BUT, if you look at the voting results map:

http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/politics/2012-washington-election-results.html

You'll see that it was only the areas around Puget Sound that carried this referendum. (Ref 74) Most of the rest of the state rejected it by a large margin. For a change of venue to really be the deciding factor, it would have to be moved to one of the few counties that supported it. (not that this would be the only deciding factor in whether she was found guilty or not)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I agree on all counts...BUT, if you look at the voting results map:

http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/politics/2012-washington-election-results.html

You'll see that it was only the areas around Puget Sound that carried this referendum. (Ref 74) Most of the rest of the state rejected it by a large margin. For a change of venue to really be the deciding factor, it would have to be moved to one of the few counties that supported it. (not that this would be the only deciding factor in whether she was found guilty or not)

I would be surprised if even in a hostile jurisdiction that things would matter much. The law is extremely clear and her violation of it is extremely clear.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I would be surprised if even in a hostile jurisdiction that things would matter much. The law is extremely clear and her violation of it is extremely clear.

Hostile?
aad.gif