FloriduhSkeeters

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Gee, what could possibly go wrong?
Risks seem minimal.
Pardon my flippant response, but as long as they aren't doing something to humans, like modifying us to make us repugnant to them, I don't see it as a problem. They've been sterilizing male insects both chemically and with radiation to make them sterile for other insect problems, already.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So THAT'S what turned all the frogs gay out there. They're getting bitten by genetically modified mosquitos!

Nov 17, 2019
Will they be developing armor?

this-crazy-mosquito-sculpture-sits-on-a-gazprom-owned-oil-field-in-western-siberia.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So THAT'S what turned all the frogs gay out there. They're getting bitten by genetically modified mosquitos!
I'm betting they will release sterilized males and they don't bite. This is a brilliant way to fight mosquitoes and has been around for quite a while.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm betting they will release sterilized males and they don't bite. This is a brilliant way to fight mosquitoes and has been around for quite a while.

So in other words, we need another explanation for all the gay frogs? Damn.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Probably plastic like what is making humans sterile. Hormone mimicry.

You did get the reference to conspiracy theories with my "gay frogs" joke, right?

The reason I thought of that joke specifically was because here we have an article which 1) is on Fox News aka conspiracy central, and 2) says that they are releasing genetically modified insects into the environment.

If there isn't now a conspiracy theory attached to this story, there will be by tomorrow morning, if not by midnight.

Best bets for this round of bullshit bingo:

1. The insects will introduce a gayification chemical into our bloodstreams.
2. The insects will introduce a microship which allows you to be tracked by Hilary Clinton and her cabal of satanic pedophiles.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You did get the reference to conspiracy theories with my "gay frogs" joke, right?

The reason I thought of that joke specifically was because here we have an article which 1) is on Fox News aka conspiracy central, and 2) says that they are releasing genetically modified insects into the environment.

If there isn't now a conspiracy theory attached to this story, there will be by tomorrow morning, if not by midnight.

2. The insects will introduce a microship which allows you to be tracked by Hilary Clinton and her cabal of satanic pedophiles.
I know, but between you and me I was just trying to distract from that. The buzz around the genetics lab is that the mosquitoes have been engineered to inject covid vaccine.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Been done in Hawaii on more than a few invasive species with varying levels of success.

Bottom line is always the cost vs. how much of a threat is being imposed on the environment and ultimately the people who live in it.

For example, we have a small colony of wallabies that made a home in Kalihi Valley on the island of O'ahu. They got loose over a hundred years ago and their impact has been minimal to the point of not being a threat yet we do have bird and marine invaders that we would very much like to get rid of. A couple of fish species had actually been brought in as a food source by our own gov't agencies that unilaterally decided it would be a good idea, of which spectacularly backfired when it was found out those introduced species would be competing with native species for the foods they consume and that the local populace didn't like to eat those species of fish.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is a good thing. These mosquitoes are sterile so won't be introducing anything untoward into the skeeter population. The only real concern is what might happen to the food table; but as I recall, mosquitoes represent something less than 0.01% of any other species' diet (primary predator is bats, I think).

...mosquitoes simply provide nothing necessary or useful to nature, from any way you look at it. Plus, if you specifically target the disease carriers (something like only 5% or less of all mosquito species), you're not really hurting anything.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
What would really benefit Florida is to breed skeeters that will vaccinate their prey with COVID vaccine.

Reactions: zinfamous

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is a good thing. These mosquitoes are sterile so won't be introducing anything untoward into the skeeter population. The only real concern is what might happen to the food table; but as I recall, mosquitoes represent something less than 0.01% of any other species' diet (primary predator is bats, I think).

...mosquitoes simply provide nothing necessary or useful to nature, from any way you look at it. Plus, if you specifically target the disease carriers (something like only 5% or less of all mosquito species), you're not really hurting anything.
My Purple Martins have returned for the tenth time since I put up my bird house. They will take care of my skeeters. Out on the deck this morning I saw 4 pairs circling, diving and swoopin on all flying critters..

27695361476_2faaa4e5ec_b (2).jpg

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Been done in Hawaii on more than a few invasive species with varying levels of success.

Bottom line is always the cost vs. how much of a threat is being imposed on the environment and ultimately the people who live in it.

For example, we have a small colony of wallabies that made a home in Kalihi Valley on the island of O'ahu. They got loose over a hundred years ago and their impact has been minimal to the point of not being a threat yet we do have bird and marine invaders that we would very much like to get rid of. A couple of fish species had actually been brought in as a food source by our own gov't agencies that unilaterally decided it would be a good idea, of which spectacularly backfired when it was found out those introduced species would be competing with native species for the foods they consume and that the local populace didn't like to eat those species of fish.
Hawaii used to be mosquito free until the fucking white man brought them in their water barrels.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

3. The insects with swap genders then insist on competing in women's sports.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What would really benefit Florida is to breed skeeters that will vaccinate their prey with COVID vaccine.

you know....that actually isn't outside of the realm of possibility. We've already hijacked bacteria to generate things like anti-malaria drugs and even petrol as "waste products." The mRNA technology that has been around for more than 10 years now and deployed in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, was established by doing essentially what you are suggesting.

...there really isn't that much of a theoretical and applied barrier to preventing this sort of engineering to hijack female mosquitoes into delivering beneficial antibodies whenever they take a blood meal from whatever beast they find.

The real barrier here is ethics, and it is indeed a big one. Fortunately, we have places in the world like Florida, where treating the population like a giant experiment probably isn't that big of a deal for the rest of us. ... :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My Purple Martins have returned for the tenth time since I put up my bird house. They will take care of my skeeters. Out on the deck this morning I saw 4 pairs circling, diving and swoopin on all flying critters..

View attachment 43330

gorgeous critters. I don't think I'm coastal enough to see the type of swallows we get around here; or maybe I'm just not paying attention. I have a decent number of bats in the back yard, and I keep telling myself I'm going to put up more bat boxes.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Gee, what could possibly go wrong?
Probably a lot less then the widespread use of chemicals to kill them. It is almost impossible to create a chemical that targets mosquitoes but not other insects, so our spraying just decimates entire ecosystems.

Nov 17, 2019
...there really isn't that much of a theoretical and applied barrier to preventing this sort of engineering to hijack female mosquitoes into delivering beneficial antibodies whenever they take a blood meal from whatever beast they find.

The real barrier here is ethics, and it is indeed a big one. Fortunately, we have places in the world like Florida, where treating the population like a giant experiment probably isn't that big of a deal for the rest of us. ... :p

Maybe that's why Floriduh is Floriduh?