Florida trip coming up - Memorial Day weekend

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Heading to Florida over Memorial Day weekend. Leaving early Saturday morning from Lawrence and will try to be in Memphis by around 3 to take in the Graceland tour. We'll stay somewhere around Memphis (suggestions?) and then make our way to Fort Walton Beach Sunday and spend all week there at a condo.

Heading home on June 4th and will pull in probably Sunday afternoon unless I can talk my wife into driving through with me and getting home around 11 pm Saturday night. It's a 15 hour drive.

We originally wanted to come up through Texas and still might but it would make for two solid days of driving and really after relaxing all week, we will probably just want to get home, however, my nephew and his wife are house sitting so they will be there until Sunday so maybe we'll just stay an extra night on the road so we have the house back to ourselves.

At any rate, is there any specific place we should stop along the way that you would suggest? Here's the route we plan on taking down.

beach.jpg

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
I have some suggestions for around that area in Florida.

Destin Beach Holiday Isle. You can walk out on the point and see dolphins come up to the shore. I saw them at the point on the left of this picture. Its deeper on the left: http://www.emeraldcoastaccessible.com/images/destin_on_the_gulf.jpg

Destin Beach Crab Island: http://destinflboatrentals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Crabislandpontoonrentals1.jpg
You can walk out on it, its shallow http://destinairportshuttleandtaxi.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Crab-Island1.2885250_std.jpg

Brusters ice cream https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...views-Bruster_s_Ice_Cream-Destin_Florida.html

Niceville, where they filmed the Truman Show: http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/t/trumanshow.html

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Thank you. Exactly the type of stuff I've been looking for. I had heard about crab island but not holiday isle. Thank you so much!

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Great! Glad it helped :)

If you like spicy, firehouse subs is really good:

http://locations.firehousesubs.com/locations/fl/uptown-station

I put there sauce on every bite http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/0HvlLjwoTymMx5CUMjxtWQ/348s.jpg

It's a medium spicy pepper sauce. Its a thick sauce.

They have a bunch of hot sauces and some you have to sign a waiver for:
http://www.annarbor.com/calendar/ph...050813_ENT_Firehouse_Subs_MRM_01_fullsize.JPG

We have firehouse subs in Lawrence and they are pretty good. I can't eat hot stuff yet (taste buds aren't back to normal yet), but I had no idea about the waiver. Too funny!

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
We have firehouse subs in Lawrence and they are pretty good. I can't eat hot stuff yet (taste buds aren't back to normal yet), but I had no idea about the waiver. Too funny!

Ah, k makes sense. sounds good.

TLfromAI

Jun 22, 2002
Niceville, where they filmed the Truman Show: http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/t/trumanshow.html

I live in Niceville...Truman Show was not filmed here. It was filmed a few miles east of here in Seaside.

Hey OP I grew up in KC and have been living here in the Niceville/FWB area for about 10 years. Lots of folks have mentioned the tourist spots (except Firehouse subs...where did that come from?). PM me if you have any questions before or during your trip.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
If you're up for some BBQ, Memphis is one of the nation's BBQ capitals. Two restaurants come to mind: Central BBQ and Rendezvous.

Dunno if you're willing to drive an hour to Pensacola, but McGuire's Irish Pub is pretty cool (there are a bunch of dollar bills hanging from the ceiling). They serve Angus Steak Burgers (you can select one of the 25 ways they make 'em). Also, their Bean Soup was only 18 cents a bowl a few years ago (they've sold it at that price since 1977).

TLfromAI

Jun 22, 2002
If you're up for some BBQ, Memphis is one of the nation's BBQ capitals. Two restaurants come to mind: Central BBQ and Rendezvous.

Dunno if you're willing to drive an hour to Pensacola, but McGuire's Irish Pub is pretty cool (there are a bunch of dollar bills hanging from the ceiling). They serve Angus Steak Burgers (you can select one of the 25 ways they make 'em). Also, their Bean Soup was only 18 cents a bowl a few years ago (they've sold it at that price since 1977).

There is a McGuire's in Destin with all the same stuff. No need to make the trek to Pensacola.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
OP, be prepared for some heat and humidity. It's been in the low 90s lately but comfortable because of lower humidity and very dry. Things change in late May into June when we get a lot of rain. Being outside in the summer is quite uncomfortable ...

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010
Where you staying in Ft. Walton? I go down there every year and stay at The Breakers.

McGuire's is great for a family, it's good food, lots of it, and inexpensive. I like the Boathouse for oysters in Destin. Otherwise I usually go to Saxton's, buy my own seafood and make it at the condo. If you are feeding a family, it's less expensive than going out, and there's nothing like grilling up some snapper and grouper for a quick/easy meal.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
OP, be prepared for some heat and humidity. It's been in the low 90s lately but comfortable because of lower humidity and very dry. Things change in late May into June when we get a lot of rain. Being outside in the summer is quite uncomfortable ...

Sounds like typical Kansas summer. Nothing we can't handle but thanks for the info. I'm hoping we aren't rained in the entire week.

We are going to play goofy golf quite a bit if its still open I think. We're staying at venus condos while we are down there. Totally loving the suggestions! We're going to hit up each and every one and will take plenty of pics. We do want to go to pensacola just to say we've gone there and to look around one of the days also.

We'll try Memphis bbq, but coming from the KC area, we do BBQ right and it would be hard to come close :) Shots fired!!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Also, next March, my oldest and I are doing a Scouting Sea Base high adventure trek to the Bahamas where we fly into Marsh Harbour, board a 75 foot ship with about 18 other folks, and sail around and visit the island areas, snorkel, swim, etc for a week. Looking forward to it!

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
slag, this has been making me want to go to destin lol. I looked into that place that you posted for months around June/July but there all booked up till sept. Do you know of any other places like that has monthly rates?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Heading to Florida over Memorial Day weekend. Leaving early Saturday morning from Lawrence and will try to be in Memphis by around 3 to take in the Graceland tour. We'll stay somewhere around Memphis (suggestions?) and then make our way to Fort Walton Beach Sunday and spend all week there at a condo.

Heading home on June 4th and will pull in probably Sunday afternoon unless I can talk my wife into driving through with me and getting home around 11 pm Saturday night. It's a 15 hour drive.

We originally wanted to come up through Texas and still might but it would make for two solid days of driving and really after relaxing all week, we will probably just want to get home, however, my nephew and his wife are house sitting so they will be there until Sunday so maybe we'll just stay an extra night on the road so we have the house back to ourselves.

At any rate, is there any specific place we should stop along the way that you would suggest? Here's the route we plan on taking down.

beach.jpg

We had a trip to Destin a few weeks ago - drove from Dallas, stayed a week. Similar to what you did. About 11-12 hours non-stop, but with a kiddo and 3 other adults in the car, definitely not non-stop. (15 total on the drive back, the drive there we stopped one night in MS) Things I'd recommend:

- Sitting your ass on the beach with a cooler full of drinks
- Sitting on the beach
- Beach

Common theme. Our 18 month old for some reason hated touching sand, so it wasn't as fun of a beach vacation as we were thinking. Luckily the condo we were in had a pool, so we spent anytime in the sun at the pool instead. As for things to do:

- Visit Seaside - master planned community, very pretty. Think the Hamptons of Florida, if you will. Worth a visit, but would never actually stay there
- Boshamps was already previously mentioned - very good
- Harborwalk - the "touristy" area with a nice boardwalk, places to eat and drink, etc
- Beach Walk Cafe - further down on the other side of Destin - ate there one night (inside Henderson Park Inn) - very romantic, awesome view and food
- The Donut Hole - breakfast. Awesome selection of donuts, and their regular food and pies is pretty darn good too
- The Crab Trap / Boardwalk - TCT is a touristy joint, can't really say food was awesome, but that area with all the volleyball going on, shops, etc was kind of cool
- Fishing - my parents and the in-laws went - about $65/person for about 4 hours of actual fishing, caught a few things (check to see what's in season at that time, as they caught some stuff that was big enough to keep but off-season so they had to throw it back)
- Walmart - odd thing to say, yes, but they have a liquor store inside and by far, cheapest booze in the area, and a pretty good selection of liquor. If you must buy some, go there. Also if you need any coolers, beach chairs, etc - better than Alvin's Island or the like

As for Memphis - had family there, so spent a lot of time there as well as for work. My two cents:

- How much do you want to pay for a hotel? If ~$200, you can stay around downtown and checkout Beale Street. Their music/bar/happening place. Generally safe, unlike a lot of Memphis. Otherwise if that's more than what you want to spend, find a side of the highway Hampton (or similar) for ~$100 and visit Beale/downtown.
- Rendezvous has great dry ribs - it's literally in a dark alley but definitely has the reputation for good reason
- Blues City Cafe for wet (sauced) ribs - some of the best wet ribs I've ever had, actually prefer BCC over RV
- Flying Saucer for beer (believe you may have one in your area where you are at now)
- Plenty of various blues bars on Beale
- Given you'll be there one night, Beale is probably your best place to take it all in
- Graceland - oddly enough, I've never actually been there despite having gone to Memphis since I was an infant. From what family tells me - it's tiny and almost anti-climactic, hence my desire to not actually go.

For the car ride - download some podcasts. It's the only thing that kept me awake and alert the entire drive. Of the 30 hours of driving, I drove 27 of them. Recommend "Serial" - Season 1. I fall asleep driving home from work (40 minutes) so it was really good driving material.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
slag, this has been making me want to go to destin lol. I looked into that place that you posted for months around June/July but there all booked up till sept. Do you know of any other places like that has monthly rates?

It's actually in Destin but we stayed at the Silver Beach Tower Resorts. Awesome, highly recommend it, smack dab in the middle of Destin. Availability is probably non-existant especially in the summer months - we briefly flirted with going back in July but everything in that month was booked.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Unfortunately, no, I'm sorry. The company my wife works for owns the condo and we pay taxes on it for the week we are there to be able to use it. We were going to go last year and I got sick so we put our names in the hat for this year and were selected (YAY). Someone else on here more familiar with the condos/rental areas might be more helpful and I hope someone does chime in and help you out.

EDIT: Thanks RB! I appreciate the posts. I really really like listening to talk radio and specifically handel on the law. Might have to load up some automotive talk show stuff also and check out podcasts of shows.

Last edited:

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
Unfortunately, no, I'm sorry. The company my wife works for owns the condo and we pay taxes on it for the week we are there to be able to use it. We were going to go last year and I got sick so we put our names in the hat for this year and were selected (YAY). Someone else on here more familiar with the condos/rental areas might be more helpful and I hope someone does chime in and help you out.

EDIT: Thanks RB! I appreciate the posts. I really really like listening to talk radio and specifically handel on the law. Might have to load up some automotive talk show stuff also and check out podcasts of shows.

wow, that's a pretty awesome deal!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Got rentals for the night down just south of Memphis and for the return trip we are coming up through Hot Springs Arkansas. Getting the oil changed tomorrow in the explorer and have started amassing digital music/talk/movies for the kids to listen to via the Hootoo wireless travel router I've had for a few years. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_i2

Wow, we have a lot of chargers and digital devices to use in the car. I'm also bringing a laptop. Bought lots of snacks and we are taking a cooler with us so we don't have to stop to get expensive drinks everywhere. I imagine meals will largely be picnics in the park on the way down and back home.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Got rentals for the night down just south of Memphis and for the return trip we are coming up through Hot Springs Arkansas. Getting the oil changed tomorrow in the explorer and have started amassing digital music/talk/movies for the kids to listen to via the Hootoo wireless travel router I've had for a few years. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_i2

Wow, we have a lot of chargers and digital devices to use in the car. I'm also bringing a laptop. Bought lots of snacks and we are taking a cooler with us so we don't have to stop to get expensive drinks everywhere. I imagine meals will largely be picnics in the park on the way down and back home.
Other things I would recommend, when possible, and if they are not standard for you already. A full sized spare tire, a portable car jump starter and air compressor. Lots of sunscreen, I like the spray on for everything but the face. A good first aid kit. A couple of gallons of water for washing off, particularly your feet, before getting in the truck, if you go to an area of beach without showers.