Florida Teen Girl Charged With Felony After Science Experiment Goes Bad

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's kids using petards in school every year during Carnival and those are dangerous too if they do stupid stuff such as opening them and trying to ignite and burning their face or other stuff like that. And the police doesn't get involved.

I had to look that up. I've seen the word before, but never gave it much thought.

Petard comes from the Middle French peter, to break wind, from pet expulsion of intestinal gas, from the Latin peditus, past participle of pedere, to break wind, akin to the Greek bdein, to break wind (Merriam-Webster).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

I propose changing the name to fart box to denote freedom, and drop it's Frenchie origins :^D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I see a BIG difference between DRPizza conducting class experiments (and yet still almost damaging property after many years of repetition) and one teen, unsupervised, surrounded by other teens, setting off a device on school property when she had no idea what the results would be.

According to her lawyer here no felony charges have been filed, the expulsion isn't a sure thing, and she's being treated as a juvenile. He seems hopeful it will work out.

I, too, hope she can get out of this without life-altering consequences - say worst case juvenile misdemeanor charges resulting in probation and that are sealed. Best case for me would be drop the criminal charges, some suspension from school, but not expulsion.

I see a difference as well. My point is that I would not refer to a 2 liter bottle with a high pressure as an "explosion" rather than a rupture. To call it an explosion and to characterize the offense as no different than pipe bombs is a gross miscarriage of justice. It makes no difference being a teacher - if a teacher makes a pipe bomb as a lab experiment, I'd have no problem seeing jail time for that teacher.

Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I see a BIG difference between DRPizza conducting class experiments (and yet still almost damaging property after many years of repetition) and one teen, unsupervised, surrounded by other teens, setting off a device on school property when she had no idea what the results would be.

According to her lawyer here no felony charges have been filed, the expulsion isn't a sure thing, and she's being treated as a juvenile. He seems hopeful it will work out.

I, too, hope she can get out of this without life-altering consequences - say worst case juvenile misdemeanor charges resulting in probation and that are sealed. Best case for me would be drop the criminal charges, some suspension from school, but not expulsion.

Well thank god no felony charges have been filed, it would be a tough task to find employment with a felony on your record, potential employers these days try to be as thorough in checking up on ones past, having been looking for a job for the last 3 weeks I can vouch for that fact, some have even asked about previous workers comp claims, which I thought would be protected information, maybe I thought wrong..

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I see a difference as well. My point is that I would not refer to a 2 liter bottle with a high pressure as an "explosion" rather than a ruture. To call it an explosion and to characterize the offense as no different than pipe bombs is a gross miscarriage of justice. It makes no difference being a teacher - if a teacher makes a pipe bomb as a lab experiment, I'd have no problem seeing jail time for that teacher.

A dry ice bomb will knock you on your ass, blow up garbage cans, and cause serious injury. I've sprained my neck just from the shock of the explosion once since I put it in a school hallway and wasn't expecting it to be so damn loud.

Add shrapnel and the thing will do some serious damage.

I'm not saying it's in the same league as something that can say blow up a car but it can definitely be used as an anti-personnel device.

Where I have a problem is with a potential felony charge and expulsion.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
A dry ice bomb will knock you on your ass, blow up garbage cans, and cause serious injury. I've sprained my neck just from the shock of the explosion once since I put it in a school hallway and wasn't expecting it to be so damn loud.

Add shrapnel and the thing will do some serious damage.

I'm not saying it's in the same league as something that can say blow up a car but it can definitely be used as an anti-personnel device.

Where I have a problem is with a potential felony charge and expulsion.
Sure - add shrapnel and it's seriously dangerous. Felony for sure. No shrapnel & any injuries are likely to be very minor; and the likelihood of injuries to someone more than 10 feet away are minimal.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I never got very close. Been 20 years so I don't remember in feet. I'd think though that anything in range of the bottle fragments could take out an eye no problem. It was definitely not something that I would classify, even remotely, as a science experiment. We did that shit to blow stuff up, make ridiculously loud explosions, and for shits and giggles watching people's reactions since it was so much louder than a shotgun blast.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
On the spray can of Scrubbing Bubbles it has as the first line in the directions.

It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
"Science experiment" my ass. "She told police that she was conducting a science experiment, though it does not appear to have been an experiment her teachers assigned."

She was trying to play with explosives and screwed up.

This. She was obviously up to no good.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Why does this have to do with liberals?

If anything, it's the conservatives who are always on the edge about terrorists.

I guess he hasn't heard that the Governor of our shithole state is a Republican who sucks so bad even the people who voted for him hate his ass..

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I guess he hasn't heard that the Governor of our shithole state is a Republican who sucks so bad even the people who voted for him hate his ass..

Pretty sure that state governors don't really dictate school policies like this bro. Zero tolerance policies are not really a matter of Republican vs Democrat so much as it is one of the nanny state, which can be supported by both right- and left-wing political representatives, but when it comes to fear of guns and other assorted things that go boom, responsibility undoubtedly lies on the left.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Acid bombs can be very powerful. I built them around 12 or so. Old fashioned 2L soda bottles, **** **** and tinfoil. Could destroy some big things.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I very well could have been 13, but I am thinking it was about the same time I went online and learn tons of things in 1983.

In that year I was 12.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Red devil Lye and Aluminum foil. Used to do that all the time.

This wasn't an 'explosion'. It was the rapid creation of gas causing plastic to shatter.

People need to chill the fuck out. And kids need to learn to do this in back alleys and not at Lunch.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
whats scary is we have the technology to become a stealth police state. we are pretty close- those boston bombers had little chance of escape

They had plenty of time to escape. They stuck around, went to school, and partied the week following the bombings.

In this case, good. These weren't people defending their property, resisting gun confiscation, targeting a specific political enemy, standing up for liberty, etc, but random civilians, which definitely falls under terrorism.

Its always nice to study the responses, actions, evidence, and investigation techniques on both sides though. The mistakes the bad guys made, the breakthroughs by police, etc. Never know when something can get banned or outlawed and turn *you* into an instant criminal despite having no desire to harm other people. Need to be prepared to adapt, evade, and counter successfully should you be targeted by "the man". Once you are disarmed and in a courtroom your life is over, as we have seen repeatedly.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Explosion? As I recall from Boston that's a WMD.

We should invade the nearest small country, just to be sure.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So if I get an empty water bottle, and twist the bottom until the cap flies off, would that be setting off an explosive?

That said, experimenting with chemicals of any variety at school is the definition of "asking for it."

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
So if I get an empty water bottle, and twist the bottom until the cap flies off, would that be setting off an explosive?

That said, experimenting with chemicals of any variety at school is the definition of "asking for it."

A kid in science class doing science experiments?

This is seriously bullshit.

I see lawsuits against the school and government.

Spirit of the law and intent vs letter of the law, this needs to get thrown out in court and then followed through with furious vengeance on all school and law enforcement personal involved.

Time to take back this fucking country before kindergartners are sent to Gitmo for detonating explosive devices for popping balloons, milk cartons, and brown paper lunch bags.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Thank goodness they all came to their senses and decided not to press charges. She has to complete some kind of Dept of Justice juvenile diversion program, but won't have to worry about possibe felony convictions ruining the rest of her life. Articles here and here.

Last edited:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thank goodness they all came to their senses and decided not to press charges. She has to complete some kind of Dept of Justice juvenile diversion program, but won't have to worry about possibe felony convictions ruining the rest of her life. Articles here and here.

36869154.jpg