Florida secretary of state denies counties' requests to amend vote counts

Aceman

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
About time someone takes a firm stand on the issues down there and strive for finality!

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Of course she did. You can not request a manual vote for no reason, other than an assumption, that one is needed (in this case to sway a vote). And you cannot expect to arbitrarily request a manual vote in one area or state and not expect to have to do it in ALL states (in order to arrive at a fair result). Either have manual votes in ALL states or machine votes in ALL states.

The Dems reason for requesting the manual votes in only Democrat districts was masceraded as being in the interest of voters... when in actuality it was only to put GORE in the lead.

I like the way GORE is handling his campaign. He is single handedly nailing his own coffin shut for running in 2004. He will destroy his chances for the Presidential seat in 2004 unless he stops and concedes.

In short...... THERE IS A GOD.
:D

My early (re)congradulations to BUSH. Our new president. The race is over. Everyone get over it. BUSH won Florida. The outstanding overseas/absentee ballots will be in BUSH's favor nuff said.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
She said the reasons the counties submitted for late filing were insufficient. Such a statment is arbitrary and will be thrown out. The simple fact there are legal proceedings holding up the recount is reason in itself for a late submission. Comming on the heals of Gore's offer, it looks pretty desparate.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I wouldn't cheer yet. By making a principled stand for the law, she's basically signed up for the "Ken Starr Treatment" and will be vilified by the Democrats and their agents in the media. You've got to give her credit for having a big pair of brass ones (if you know what I mean) that most GOP men wish they had.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Cybordolphin: The goal was never to have an ACCURATE count, but rather to FIND all those missing votes for Gore. When you have Democrats doing the looking, what do you think they'll find?

I got a kick out the test precincts that they used in Broward County. In two of them, the count was a combined 2,550 for Gore and 71:Q for Bush. Just how many more votes did they think they'd find?

Also, the whole point of dragging out the count is to wait for the overseas ballot to be tallied so that they can see just how many votes they need to "find" to win. Anyone else notice that after the initial count, the mandated recount, the partial hand counts and every other count for the last eight days, that Gore is STILL LOSING?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
This will end up in the Florida Supreme Court. They will make the final decision on the legality of Harris' decision. At this point, I hope the two parties stop yelling at each other and have their day in court.

Michael

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Gore is just a big whiny baby .. his dad is probably so disappointed in him ... whereever his father is now (he passed away) ... I know I would be so disappointed if my child were to do something so slimey...

jacobnero6918

Sep 30, 2000
I think in a way she is saying "Yeah we know there going to sue anyways so might as well just reject the votes that didn't come in on time." The democrats were building up for a lawsuit anyways so might as well force the issue early. The judge who said it was her call to make but then said she had to have good reason. What good reason would the democratic party ever accept.

jobert

Nov 20, 1999
>>&quot;The simple fact there are legal proceedings holding up the recount is reason in itself for a late submission.&quot;<<

Thank you, Judge Moonbeam.
Without a lot of thinkers like yourself,
where would the Democrats be today?

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gore's offer was disingenuous on it's face.

Moonbeam, Which party has been filing all of the lawsuits? The Democrats.

1. Gore campaign
(a) Filed in Palm Beach county to freeze the results so they couldn't send them to Tallahassee.
(b) Filed in PB to get &quot;pregnant chads&quot; added to acceptable hand count criteria.(against their own people)
(c) Filed in Broward to force county officials to do a total hand count.(against their own people)
(d) Joined a suit by Volusia county (dem officials) to see whether the SoS had authority to hold the counties to the 7 day deadline.

2. Bush campaign- Filed with Federal district court to stop the hand recounts, denied, appealed.

Cybordolphin

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
Jobert.... can you believe those words of wisdom in Moonbeams statement....lol!

Chriiiiiiissst! What a rediculous thing to say. I'm sorry Moonbeam.. but that was just not well thought out on your part. The idea of trying to do a recount... based on &quot;the possibility&quot; of finding more votes for GORE is equally as dumb, and was found to be unnacceptable. That's why the request was dismissed in short order by the Secretary of State in Florida.

There are explicit laws surrounding (per case law's referred to by Secretary of State for Florida)... that just don't include the kind of crap the GORE campaign is trying to use as an excuse to rummage for more votes in favor of GORE.

The Secretary of State for Florida.... did exactly what any intelligent person given the task should and would have done.

GORE lost Florida. Get over it. The absentee/overseas ballots will be in by Friday at 5:00 and our new president BUSH will be publicly announced and congradulated on Saturday.

If you think that the overseas/absentee ballots will not be in BUSH's favor... your entitled to dilude yourself. However, the reality is... that these still outstanding (THE ONLY UNCOUNTED BALLOTS as of this date)... will be in favor of BUSH. It is really just a matter of order that BUSH is not able to publicly accept the title of President this very evening.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Come one you don't believe EVERYTHING those Republicans are spinning do you?

One more Bush court action:

Bush Florida campaign co-chairman files in Flordia Supreme Court today requesting manual balloting stop and all election lawsuits be consoldiated in State Court. The Bush campaign also filed in support of this court action.

and another:

<< ? A federal judge in Orlando dismissed a lawsuit brought by three Bush voters, which had sought to block counties from conducting manual recounts. The lawsuit claimed that it was unconstitutional for some counties to conduct a hand count and others not to. >>

and one more:

<< ? The 11th U.S. Court of Appeals agreed Wednesday to hear arguments in an appeal by the National Right to Life Committee calling for an injunction to stop manual recounts. All 12 members of the court will hear the appeal. >>

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< <Insert candidate name> lost. Get over it. >>

Everytime someone says this, it sounds like they're trying to convince themselves more than anyone else. Here's one that works in both scenarios:

America lost. Get over it.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
ride525,

The SoS filed those suits, not the campaign.

The federal suit was brought by the Bush campaign.

I don't know where you came up with number 3, the only people who can file appeals to a federal court ruling are the parties involved. Interested parties can file amecus briefs but none have been reported or filed.

If your going to out right make stuff up, you need to do a better job.

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
I believe that this situation could have been prevented had that lady, the democrat lady who designed the ballot refused a recount. From what I've read, it was her vote that allowed the recount. this was ecause of all the criticism from her own party and rumours, I think it was, that the democrats was planning to kick her out of office.

Feb 10, 2000
FYI, the actual law in question is available online here. As near as I can tell, the authority to grant a manual recount is vested not in the Secretary of State, but rather the individual county canvassing boards (though the Department of State has oversight over the process). It appears to me as though Harris' action was overreaching, in an area in which the legislature envisioned at least some autonomy for the individual counties.

I think the best solution for the country would be to let Gore's proposal stand and recount the entire state's ballots manually, including its many Republican counties. Even as a Democrat I feel that recounting only the Democratic counties would create an appearance of impropriety, and might unfairly influence the election. I also feel strongly that barring any namual recount would give an inappropriate amount of weight to the strained legal interpretations of the obviously-biased Harris, who is a longtime Bush family friend and was GW's co-campaign manager in Florida.

Whomever wins, I would prefer that he hold the office with some genuine moral authority, and that can only come from having a true winner.

Feb 10, 2000
Wiin:

What are you talking about? Can you provide a cite for what you are saying at all? Are you talking about the chair of one of the county canvassing committees? The law I cited says they have the authority to grant a recount, and I am not sure why they would have felt compelled to deny such a request under the circumstances (i.e., a tremendously close election).

TE

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Tiger, before you accuse someone of making stuff up, you might check a little more.....

<< The SoS filed those suits, not the campaign. >>

If you check into it, you will find that the SoS IS Bush's Florida campaign co-chair. And if you check further, you will find the Bush campaign joined her with their own filing.

<< The federal suit was brought by the Bush campaign. >>

You are right here, the same guy that was saying, I trust the people, I trust the states.... but read my quote carefully....this is a DIFFERENT suit brought on by three Bush voters. See See CNN here:CNN story

<< I don't know where you came up with number 3 >>

Did you check the news today? Same CNN link as above
UPDATE: This was a separate case, with an separate filing in Orlando. It sometime today was consolidated with Bush's Federal suit.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Well, well...it appears that a &quot;will of the people maker&quot; can be carried in the car of a Democrat in Palm Beach County. Does anyone think that he's unique in making your own breaks? Didn't think so...

Read about it at ABC.com.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Defref,

So what.....A Dem had a Votomatic in his car. Maybe it wasn't the exact right thing to do, since it didn't sound like he had permission, but well what is the big deal.