Florida School Forces Teen Girl To Put Bandaids Over Her Nipples

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Is there rule for girls to have to wear a bra in high school or something? Where is the responsibility of the the men on this? Should men have to wear bandaids? I mean it's just the silhouette of a nipple, male and females have them why is it only women who have to cover the bump? What if you have a big johnson or camel toe and it can be notice in your jeans or shorts? Is this heading to the supreme court! Does anyone really care!

https://thedailybanter.com/2018/04/...old-student-to-put-bandaids-over-her-nipples/

"American schools have this fascinating double standard when it comes to how male and female students are allowed to dress. Boys can wear pretty much anything they want while girls are not allowed to wear anything that might be "distracting" to boys and/or male teachers.

Case in point:

MANATEE - A Bradenton student said she was asked to cover her nipples with bandages this week after they became a distraction for other students at Braden River High School.

Lizzy Martinez, 17, decided not to wear a bra under her gray long-sleeve shirt on Monday, and school officials felt she became a target of her classmates' stares.

When her mother appropriately blew a gasket, it got worse:

Knop [Martinez's mother] said she also emailed Superintendent Diana Greene that evening, and that she received a phone call soon after.

Though Greene at first sympathized with Martinez, her mother said, she later said the girl’s “protruding” nipples may have distracted other students — a violation of the district’s dress code.

Martinez said she plans to stop wearing a bra in protest of what happened. On Monday, she tagged the school in a tweet that said, "Stop sexualizing my body @piratenationhs."

It's true that "protruding" nipples are distracting for teenage boys. That's perfectly natural in our society. However, part of what school is for is to teach our young people how to act like civilized adults and get over it. Is there some reason we can't be bothered to teach boys to not stare at girls and drool? To respect their personal boundaries? To treat women as people, not objects of lust?

Some people will immediately make the argument that this is not the job of the school; that such things should be left to the parents. If that's true, why are we OK with schools teaching young women to objectify themselves? To be ashamed of their own bodies? To take in account the reaction of men?

In other words, why is it permissible for schools to teach women to respect the needs of men, but not teach men to respect the needs of women? The answer is the same one that leads us to blame rape on what a woman was wearing or drinking while lamenting how rape accusations can ruin the lives of fine young men with bright futures ahead of them. It's the same answer that let Harvey Weinstein and thousands of men just like him in positions of power sexually abuse women for centuries with impunity. It's the same answer that spawned the #MeToo movement and is sending shockwaves of panic throughout our make dominated society.

Bras have their place, particularly for large breasted women (my wife regularly complains how annoying her size 38J chest is when it's swinging free), but not every woman is blessed (or cursed depending on your point of view) with breasts that require holders. Forcing high school girls to wear them to cater to the needs of boys sends the message that the needs of boys are paramount. This both reinforces the narrative that boys are the center of the world and that girls are window dressing.

Martinez had it absolutely right when she said, “The students that were laughing or snickering or talking about me, that should have been addressed, not me, because I wasn’t the issue there." Girls have breasts. Breasts have nipples. Don't scold girls for having the bodies they were born with, scold the students who still haven't learned how to treat women with respect."

Reactions: RDI

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Of FFS. That was one of the only things that made K-12 tolerable back in the 70-80's. The random pokey or heaven forbid down shirt...

EDIT: For this shirt? Give me a break...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/06/brale...d-aids-nipples-stop-distracting-boys-7446385/

Obligatory pic:

sei_6157116.jpg

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I really don't have a problem with the school having a dress code which includes covering of female nipples. That is not a culturally unreasonable expectation for school-appropriate sexual display. Something that contains difference between sexes is not inherently fatally sexist. In some ways sexes are, in fact, different. Physiologically and culturally.

If you follow the argument made by the article then you would conclude that all people may dress as they choose in any situation and are the arbiters of whether something is sexual or not. That would lead to no conflict with, for example, students being in school naked.

At some point you have to recognize that there becomes a conflict between a society with sexual norms and a free society. I do not necessarily think that the dividing line rests at braless with no nipple coverage. But I have no problem with an institution establishing that as their dividing line.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There are some reasons for men and women to have different dress codes. Mainly that it isn't really in fashion right now for guys to show their butt cheeks in shorts or wear dresses.

But this is beyond stupid. It has only been in the last 15 years that everyone started wearing padded bras, before that nipples showing through shirts was quite normal. Not to mention you can see them through a ton of sports bras too.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really don't have a problem with the school having a dress code which includes covering of female nipples. That is not a culturally unreasonable expectation for school-appropriate sexual display. Something that contains difference between sexes is not inherently fatally sexist. In some ways sexes are, in fact, different. Physiologically and culturally.

If you follow the argument made by the article then you would conclude that all people may dress as they choose in any situation and are the arbiters of whether something is sexual or not. That would lead to no conflict with, for example, students being in school naked.

At some point you have to recognize that there becomes a conflict between a society with sexual norms and a free society. I do not necessarily think that the dividing line rests at braless with no nipple coverage. But I have no problem with an institution establishing that as their dividing line.
The nipple was covered by a completely opaque t-shirt. If people want to look for it, you can also see an impression of my dick in just about all of my pants, I've never been asked to wear a jock strap because of it, including in middle/high school.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Something that contains difference between sexes is not inherently fatally sexist. In some ways sexes are, in fact, different. Physiologically and culturally.

Perhaps, but this is not one of them. Both men and women have nipples.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Girls have breasts. Breasts have nipples. Don't scold girls for having the bodies they were born with, scold the students who still haven't learned how to treat women with respect

So what happened here is that a teacher was staring at a young girls chest and then punished the girl.
Nipples happens, bra or no bra.
Even a little bounce and sway will happen with some bras.
The bras are not the issue.
The issue is that Teachers in Florida like to stare at children's breasts and then blame the child.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Looks like a publicity stunt. It's either distracting or it's not. You don't have to drool and stare at her to be distracted, silly. It's about attention redirection, however subtle. Only requires that you notice her once. Then the teacher needs to be that much more engaging! Only SJWs think you can train people to not think about sex, likely because of a protein deficiency. Dress restrictions do work, which is why we have louis vuitton hijabs.

Nov 29, 2006
So what happened here is that a teacher was staring at a young girls chest and then punished the girl.
Nipples happens, bra or no bra.
Even a little bounce and sway will happen with some bras.
The bras are not the issue.
The issue is that Teachers in Florida like to stare at children's breasts and then blame the child.

But has he ever stared before that when she wore a bra? Not excusing his behavior at all, just pointing out that maybe the bra was the issue. Or lack thereof in this case.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I don't think women are turned on by erect male nipples?

In today's climate I think that kid should sue the school for sexual harassment. Plus they singled her out for being just another female. Does the principal have to wear band aids or the teachers?

Feb 4, 2009
Most employers have rules like this. I had to enforce them at att.
Basically if I saw underwear, or torso skin or anything that could be a distraction you are free to say change your clothes.
Not sure how I’d handle a nipple outline, I’d likely run it past HR how to address it. I’m sure it would be something like cover them up with a cardigan or a halter top.
I’ve spoken to people about
Clothes being too worn
Clothes being dirty
Clothes being too poorly fitting
Stripper heels being inappropriate for work
Seeing underwear
Low cut stuff that shows too much.
I’ve even spoken to people about their hygiene habits

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Most employers have rules like this. I had to enforce them at att.
Basically if I saw underwear, or torso skin or anything that could be a distraction you are free to say change your clothes.
Not sure how I’d handle a nipple outline, I’d likely run it past HR how to address it. I’m sure it would be something like cover them up with a cardigan or a halter top.
I’ve spoken to people about
Clothes being too worn
Clothes being dirty
Clothes being too poorly fitting
Stripper heels being inappropriate for work
Seeing underwear
Low cut stuff that shows too much.
I’ve even spoken to people about their hygiene habits

+Ugh what a horrible job

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

First, thank you for arguing the abstraction rather than the specific situation. Not done enough on this forum.

Now, as you know I have no disagreement with the fact that women and men are different. Men look at women's bodies in a much different way than the reverse (generally). What I disagree with here is forcing girls to hide the outline of their nipples. As someone already brought up, our society holds the idea that men need to learn restraint and deal with being aroused by others around them. If we stay at the abstraction level, what is the difference between seeing the outline of a nipple and makeup? Both can and often are sexually arousing to some extent.

So if we follow your argument, the line drawn would be arbitrary. I am not a fan of such things, so I would say we need to find a better way to draw a line. Equity would not be the goal as we both agree on there being differences.

There is somewhat of an argument about the distraction part. The problem there is that would mean you would have to make the "hot" girls dress down because they too are a distraction.

I have given no answer here, but, I think there must be something better than an arbitrary line.