Flordia (Esp. Tampa) ppl, please read

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Alright, here's the deal. I'm a class officer & our senior class trip this year is giong to be a trip to Tampa Flordia. We've already got a couple things planned, but we have a full week to fill (granted we want SOME free time, but not the whole week), so my question to you is this:

What fun stuff you do reccomend doing in the Tampa Flordia area? Anything within a 60minute drive is considered valid, but try to mention things in the $5-10/person price range (although others will still be considered).

Also, some school guidelines:
No Alcohol, strip clubs or anything like that (granted it's a college, but it's still a class trip).

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
A bunch of college students go on a trip to Florida for a week.... and don't drink.

Yeah, I don't see that happening.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Alright, here's the deal. I'm a class officer & our senior class trip this year is giong to be a trip to Tampa Flordia. We've already got a couple things planned, but we have a full week to fill (granted we want SOME free time, but not the whole week), so my question to you is this:

What fun stuff you do reccomend doing in the Tampa Flordia area? Anything within a 60minute drive is considered valid, but try to mention things in the $5-10/person price range (although others will still be considered).

No Alcohol, strip clubs or anything like that (granted it's a college, but it's still a class trip).

I'd say head to Busch Gardens.. The place is usually fairly empty with no lines on weekdays. However, it gets packed on weekends. There's some neato rollercoasters there.

Also Adventure Island is fun for college people - though you'll probby see a bunch of little kids there too.

The Brandon Mall is decent - but not some crazy awesome mall it set out to be.

If you drive fast, Orlando is within a 60minute drive and it's got a lot more to see - Disney World, Universal Studios, OMG the world's biggest McDonald's, numerous "5 Florida shirts for $10" shops, and Wet n' Wild (which is superior to Adventure Island in every way.)

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: 1YellowPeril
Mons Venus is the place to be. See monsvenus.com :p

But if you can't "do" adult stuff, try Weekiwachee for tamer babes.

Hmm....for some reason I have a feeling I'll be hung if I even suggest that.

Edit: hahaha, I tried visiting both those websites & sure enough the college blocks them. Eh, maybe me & the guys will find a chance to head on over there. Think maybe I can get them to give me a reciept that says "Olive Garden" on the top of it or something?

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn

I'd say head to Busch Gardens.. The place is usually fairly empty with no lines on weekdays. However, it gets packed on weekends. There's some neato rollercoasters there.

Also Adventure Island is fun for college people - though you'll probby see a bunch of little kids there too.

If you drive fast, Orlando is within a 60minute drive and it's got a lot more to see - Disney World, Universal Studios, OMG the world's biggest McDonald's, numerous "5 Florida shirts for $10" shops, and Wet n' Wild (which is superior to Adventure Island in every way.)

Busch Gardens is already on the agenda (although thanks for the weekday tip)
Adventure Island sounds pretty good, although Orlando is definatly within reason, so we may spring for Wet n' Wild.

Tell me more about this Brandon Mall (we've got a 75% fremale population, so a mall would be right up their alley).

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn

You drive too fast. 60 minutes Tampa to Orlando?? It took me 2 hours over winter break with all the construction on I-4.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
1) Its spelled FLORIDA (how the hell did you make it to college without learning how to spell? :))
2) Its damn near freaking impossible to make it to orlando from tampa in 60 minutes no matter how fast your drive, unless your going to drive at 3am. The traffic/construction is a nightmare. Plan at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours if you wanna do that.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
We did the Florida/Disney trip for a week and one night decided to drive an hour to Tampa to check out the nightlife.

Nonexistant. We drove through the streets and it was dead... and even shady in some areas. We got the hell outta there after 15 minutes of wandering. A lot of cities are business districts by day only... and that's the impression I got of Tampa.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
We did the Florida/Disney trip for a week and one night decided to drive an hour to Tampa to check out the nightlife.

Nonexistant. We drove through the streets and it was dead... and even shady in some areas. We got the hell outta there after 15 minutes of wandering. A lot of cities are business districts by day only... and that's the impression I got of Tampa.

Ybor city is the only tampa nightlife that i've seen. Guavaween rocks! :)

http://www.ybortimes.com/what-is-ybor.cfm

and

http://www.ybortimes.com/guavaween.cfm

ZeroEffect

Apr 25, 2000
Check this site BayNews 9 and click on On The Town on the left hand column... scroll to the bottom for a list of Local Venues and Attractions.

you have to hit the beach - head over to Clearwater Beach and eat at Frenchie's. There are 3 of them just ask anyone and they can tell you how to find one of 'em. The Palm Pavillion at Sunset is great - good food there too.

The Dali Musem in St. Pete is very cool.

there's a lot to do here in Tampa Bay... enjoy!

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ZeroEffect
Check this site BayNews 9 and click on On The Town on the left hand column... scroll to the bottom for a list of Local Venues and Attractions.

you have to hit the beach - head over to Clearwater Beach and eat at Frenchie's. There are 3 of them just ask anyone and they can tell you how to find one of 'em. The Palm Pavillion at Sunset is great - good food there too.

The Dali Musem in St. Pete is very cool.

there's a lot to do here in Tampa Bay... enjoy!

Just saw a weather alert on tv that you guys are in for some heavy storms tonight.... Hope they dont make down here to Sarasota, i just washed my car :D

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
I don't "live here," but work has had me stay here for a total of 11 weeks since June....(I'm actually posting this from Tampa, fyi) :)

All of the nightlife is in Ybor City, which can just be crazy. It's crazy enough to have made the E! "Wild On" series.

There's plenty to do around here, you are close to Clearwater and St. Petersburg which have a fair amount of things to do. The Salvador Dali museum is in downtown St. Pete, as well as this thing called "The Pier." google "the pier" in st. petersburg

You HAVE to take I-275 South from Tampa and go over the Sunshine Skyway bridge which goes from St. Pete to the Bradenton area (the bridge crosses the point where the Gulf of Mexico and the Tampa Bay meet. I took this pic on Saturday...you can see the bridge from a distance... (not 56k safe)... skway_bridge2.jpg

If you come here during the summer, go to a Devil Rays major league baseball game. Not the best team, but you'll have a good time.

To summarize...here's a list of stuff to do...

1) Go to beaches (they're everywhere)
2) Go over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge
3) visit downtown St. Pete (has The Pier and the Dali museum)
4) relax...you're in FLORIDA