Floppy Disk OS for crunching?

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I could save a TON of power by not running the 30 odd hard drives I've got.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
There are some people who have gotten Seti to crunch from a floppy. I don't think a lot of other projects would. Depending on the size of the client, you might want to consider a USB flash drive. On a lot of motherboards now you can boot from them and they have enough storage to put a decent sized client on them.

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Another option is to use Knoppix. It is a CD based Linux version that loads everything into a Ramdisk.

A link for it is here.

Also for SETI there is FreeSCO SEti Cruncher. It is a Floppy based Linux SETI package.

It can be found here.

And then there is the diskless cruncher called the Prime/SETI Monster. It uses netboot to load up OS into ram.

It can be found here.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
You really have to run a ram drive. Most DC projects will access the disk too much and really slow down your processing time. However, if the power goes out...well..you know...lol.

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Fully protected by large UPS. Plenty of RAM to put it all in memory. How does PXE work and could I do that instead and load Windows?

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
I am pretty sure PXE will only work with Linux. Windows is too much to load up into memory. I know win98 was stripped down and attempted that way don't think it every worked. I will see if I can find the link to it.

Ok found the link. Here it is: Diskless windows crunchers