Flatout: UC night this Friday! *It's Over*

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Having purchased Flatout: Ultimate Carnage from a recent Steam sale, I am completely and utterly disarmed at how fun it is. Even playing singleplayer against the AI, it's some of the most fun I've ever had in a racing game... ever. Ripping through destructible environments at high speeds, slamming your opponents into oblivion, and watching flying metal and car parts sail across your screen - all with realistic and nuanced deformation models - really tickles my fancy.

You could probably imagine my dismay upon finding out that barely ANYONE plays this game online. It's completely deserted right now. What a damn shame. (I could vent for hours about how there's too many people playing Cawa-Dooty, and not enough people playing the good online games, but I'm afraid that would accomplish nothing).

It appears that there is a Steam group for Flatout players, however, and it has a few hundred people in it. Rejoice! I decided to go ahead and schedule an event for this Friday night; a "Flatout: Ultimate Carnage Worldwide Tournament." The idea is simply to get as many people together as possible, and get some FULL matches going of Flatout: UC. Heck, even if we only get ~8 people playing (the max amount of players for a full match) then I'll be a happy camper.

Full details here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FlatOut-UltimateCarnage/events/1443637564979250111

If you own the game, then please join us! Hope to see you online.

(Edit: This is not for Flatout 3, but for Flatout: Ultimate Carnage, which is a different game, and arguably the last good Flatout game to have been released)

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'll try to make it too, Flatout is pure badass, hell I'd be interested in getting a semi regular game going. I'm bored of shooters and there's nothing else I own that has MP. I've played a lot of Flatout, but sadly never played MP.

I like the race and stunt modes, but derby MP would be crazy fun.

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
i loved Flatout UC, and the previous games. I also bought Flatout 3 during a recent sale on steam and am very disappointed. It does not really feel like the previous games and lost its charm. It has some new things which sounded really fun but the execution just is not there.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Looks fun. Don't have the game, maybe when it goes on sale.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Me and a buddy have been playing since the regular Flatout 2. I'll try to make it on Friday and maybe can get him to join in as well. We always leave our games open and will sometimes get some others joining in. MP Derby matches are a blast.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I've had tons of fun @ LANs playing FlatOut 2 with buddies.

Truly a great casual fun MP/LAN game :D

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'll try to make it too, Flatout is pure badass, hell I'd be interested in getting a semi regular game going. I'm bored of shooters and there's nothing else I own that has MP. I've played a lot of Flatout, but sadly never played MP.

I like the race and stunt modes, but derby MP would be crazy fun.

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking derbies, but races are awesome too. When I create a game I'll limit it to derby cars only, otherwise people will just be whoring the Bullet GT and other street cars.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The game is currently on sale at amazon from $2-$5 for the boxed game. I believe the serial key will integrate/work with Steam.

http://www.amazon.com/Flatout-Ultim...9DMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328291197&sr=8-1

Really? I'm pretty sure Flatout: UC isn't a Steamworks game, and therefore will not activate on Steam. If it did, Amazon would explicitly state that it requires Steam to play, and it would also be on Valve's list of retail games that can be Steam activated.

2$ is a pretty bangin' deal though.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking derbies, but races are awesome too. When I create a game I'll limit it to derby cars only, otherwise people will just be whoring the Bullet GT and other street cars.

I'm down to play a some of everything, do the stunt events support MP? I suck balls at those but still enjoy them.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm down to play a some of everything, do the stunt events support MP? I suck balls at those but still enjoy them.

Yeah, stunt events are definitely supported in MP. I've barely touched stunt mode though... I probably should play it some more, but I've been having too much fun with the other game modes to care.

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
its def a steamworks game. here it is on sale on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/12360

maybe there are different versions of this game?

There's a difference between "being sold on Steam" and "being a Steamworks game."

While there are thousands of titles being sold on Steam, most of them can also be purchased elseware, such as a brick-and-mortar store shelf; and not require Steam to run whatsoever.

However, there are certain games that were developed specifically to require Steam in order to run, in order to take advantage of it's inherent DRM, multiplayer/cloud-saving capabilities, and content delivery system. Because of this, they will always be activated on Steam, regardless of where you buy the game from. For example: If you go to your local Walmart, buy a copy of Half Life 2 off the shelf, bring it home, and put the disc in your computer, it will mandatorily activate and run the game on your Steam account. These are referred to as Steamworks games.

Other third-party Steamworks titles from last year included Deus Ex, Space Marine, and Skyrim.

While Flatout: Ultimate Carnage is sold on Steam, it is not actually a Steam-required game, and therefore will not activate on Steam if you buy a boxed copy. If you get the $2 game shipped from Amazon, you will simply be stuck with the box and the disc. Typing the serial number into Steam will not activate anything for you.

That said, it's the same game regardless of where you buy it, and it certainly doesn't matter for playing multiplayer either. (The more you know...) ;)

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
There's a difference between "being sold on Steam" and "being a Steamworks game."

While there are thousands of titles being sold on Steam, most of them can also be purchased elseware, such as a brick-and-mortar store shelf; and not require Steam to run whatsoever.

However, there are certain games that were developed specifically to require Steam in order to run, in order to take advantage of it's inherent DRM, multiplayer/cloud-saving capabilities, and content delivery system. Because of this, they will always be activated on Steam, regardless of where you buy the game from. For example: If you go to your local Walmart, buy a copy of Half Life 2 off the shelf, bring it home, and put the disc in your computer, it will mandatorily activate and run the game on your Steam account. These are referred to as Steamworks games.

Other third-party Steamworks titles from last year included Deus Ex, Space Marine, and Skyrim.

While Flatout: Ultimate Carnage is sold on Steam, it is not actually a Steam-required game, and therefore will not activate on Steam if you buy a boxed copy. If you get the $2 game shipped from Amazon, you will simply be stuck with the box and the disc. Typing the serial number into Steam will not activate anything for you.

That said, it's the same game regardless of where you buy it, and it certainly doesn't matter for playing multiplayer either. (The more you know...) ;)

good to know. For some reason i assumed that anything that was sold on steam could be activated and registered with steam. I know I have converted almost all of my boxed copies of games (UT3 for example) and imported/registered them with steam. Seems a shame that only some titles can do this. Thanks for the info Dan.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Pretty sure FO:UC is GFWL isn't it?

And yeah stunts are definitely MP playable, we played the hell out of all three modes in MP. I also agree about limiting cars etc. Heck a lot of times we would do derbies with the little Chili's for laughs and it's a blast.

EDIT: Just fired it up to make sure all is working, wow does GFWL suck. One second it couldn't sign me in, the next it could. Then it couldn't find the server to update, then it could. Anyway, it's all good to go now. Ironically, my GFWL tag is "GFWLisjunk". :sneaky:

Last edited:

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Damn, that was fun. Dan pretty much finished last in everything and IcePick is pretty good at destruction derby. :)

FYI, my GFWL tag is "Brimstone63"

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Yeah that was fun stuff. Steam just took a dive on me right after we finished a derby otherwise I would of stuck around for a few more. I'll be up to do it again!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Damn, that was fun. Dan pretty much finished last in everything and IcePick is pretty good at destruction derby. :)
Pfft, whatever. I'm a pro. ;)

Yeah that was fun stuff. Steam just took a dive on me right after we finished a derby otherwise I would of stuck around for a few more. I'll be up to do it again!
Indeed. I'm thinking there should be regular FO:UC nights every week, so we can bring the community together a little more.

I'll be sure not to fuck up next time and confine the server to 1-racetype only. Always, always do it mixed, so you can change the game mode to whatever you'd like without having to re-host.

But yeah, all-in-all, good times.