Flashy Brooklyn pastor and his wife robbed of more than $1 million in jewelry while preaching

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

A flashy Brooklyn pastor known for wearing designer outfits and extravagant jewelry was robbed along with his wife of more than $1 million while he was preaching at church Sunday, police said.

Police say three males entered the Leaders of Tomorrow church Sunday with firearms and removed the jewelry pastor Lamor Miller-Whitehead, who goes by Bishop, and his wife were wearing.

Never knew non-tv preachers made so much $ :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Oyeve and Amused

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Never knew non-tv preachers made so much $ :eek:
Well, most pastors I've met earned a bit more than social workers, doing much of the same work, while putting in twice the hours. Effectively perhaps $20-$25/hour... however these good folks never make the papers or press.

On the other hand, there still are many of these prosperity gospel "pastors", as in this story, that grift a few hours a week, for 6-7 figure earnings as basically entertainers and legalized conmen, with political connections ~ and they do regularly try to make the press for free advertising to increase their take.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” Matthew 6:19-20 NIV

Sounds like they never read the Bible.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I was curious if his jewelry was insured, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Well, most pastors I've met earned a bit more than social workers, doing much of the same work, while putting in twice the hours.
Effectively perhaps $20-$25/hour... however these good folks never make the papers or press.
so same per hr as social workers?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” Matthew 6:19-20 NIV

Sounds like they never read the Bible.

Whitehead's verified Instagram account details his extravagant shows of wealth, including Louis Vuitton-emblazoned suits, large jewelry and flashy cars. In a video on Sunday night, he pushed aback against the media headlines referring to him as "flashy."

"It's not about me being flashy. It's about me purchasing what I want to purchase," he said. "It's my prerogative to purchase what I want to purchase. If I worked hard for it, I can purchase what I want to purchase."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Crime like this is detestable, should never be tolerated, and I hope the perpetrators are caught and convicted. However, I also feel compelled to add that prosperity gospel is the antichrist. Jesus turned over the tables of the moneychangers at the temple. He didn't ask them how to get in on the action.
IMO the reason churches are failing in America and church membership is declining is because, once upon a time, going to church meant being part of the community. And paying tithes meant helping the poor and the sick. Today, it means helping your preacher get another private jet while the downtrodden get trodden on a little harder.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Jesus was dirt poor while he walked the earth in human flesh yet I hear preachers pedaling the lie that he was actually rich to blind their followers to their own misuse of church funds. I suppose they've forgotten about Ananias and Sapphira and how Paul brought justice to their doorstep. Church today is a cathedral of wealth and a monument to men.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The last thing the ego wants is for it to die so the true self can be born. Wherever their arises an enlightened being dedicated to bringing others to the light the ego greed of followers will sweep in and claim leadership of the operation and turn it into their own ego ideas of what heaven really is. In the process the notion of a movement to end selflessness will be seen by the observant to be nothing more than a con game. They will wind up helping the ego devoted to destroy the notion of anything valid in the origin of the attempt. I have heard that Jesus wasn't even a real person. And what is the dying to the ego shit but a scam, the opiate of the people

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Prosperity gospel conman wasn't robbed, he just received assistance from the community when they saw his camel having trouble with a needle's eye.

Turn the other bank account brother!

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I was curious if his jewelry was insured, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.

What also is very curious is that earlier in the day, the reported amount was $400K. The story was then updated to $1M a few hours later. Wonder if we will ever see a list or pics of the stolen jewlery.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What also is very curious is that earlier in the day, the reported amount was $400K. The story was then updated to $1M a few hours later. Wonder if we will ever see a list or pics of the stolen jewlery.
for the insurance $

Feb 4, 2009
Prosperity gospel conman wasn't robbed, he just received assistance from the community when they saw his camel having trouble with a needle's eye.

Turn the other bank account brother!

theres another where the rich man is in hell barking orders to the beggar (Abraham?) to bring him water from assumably heaven. Moral is more or less the rich man will never understand this never be admitted.
Way over simplification and I forgot what it’s called.
I’ll try to track it down sometime today.