Flash Player 24.0.0.186 Released

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks for the heads up Chief and as I've said many times you're on top of this thing. It must be coming from WU but I don't see the update being shown yet so I'll keep checking.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks Puffnstuff! I looked at my machine and it did come through WU earlier today so you should be seeing it.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Thanks for the heads up Chief and as I've said many times you're on top of this thing. It must be coming from WU but I don't see the update being shown yet so I'll keep checking.

Mine updated via WU yesterday for flash on Win10, the Firefox and Vivaldi browser versions I downloaded manually, no issues.

Thanks Chief.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
BGR News said:
According to Burrough, Jobs was miffed that Adobe CEO “Shantanu Narayen would not take his phone calls.” As a result, Jobs had zero faith that Adobe would be able to address what Jobs reportedly categorized as “mere engineering problems.”

@bob_burrough couldn't count on them do it. — ᴮᵒᵇ ᴮᵘʳʳᵒᵘᵍʰ (@bob_burrough) December 6, 2016

“One of the things that has irked me over the subsequent years was that people widely ridiculed Steve for this decision,” Burrough later added. “However, the decision was the right one based on both technical reasons and that Adobe was a shi**y partner. Almost a decade later, it turns out that Steve Jobs was right. Flash is dead and Adobe is a still a shi**y partner.”

It’s crazy to think that the entire Apple/Adobe brouhaha essentially boiled down to Apple’s mistrust of Adobe as opposed to any insurmountable technical hurdles.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Wasn't 2017 supposed to be the death of flash?
13 critical security holes fixed in this patch.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I appreciate you staying on top of updates and keeping us safe, Chief, but has anyone managed to completely ditch Flash?

Once every site/service (other than HBO GO) I use switched over to HTML5 without Silverlight, I found it easy to completely uninstall Flash and disable the plug-in in Firefox. I don't use HBO GO since it's not worth using Flash on its own, imo, so I watch HBO's back catalog through Amazon Video since they support HTML5 and have better availability on smart TV's.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Wasn't 2017 supposed to be the death of flash?

Maybe it'll be like "the year of Linux on the desktop" :)

I appreciate you staying on top of updates and keeping us safe, Chief, but has anyone managed to completely ditch Flash?

I have Flash blocked by default with an exceptions list (e.g. YouTube). However, for this to be of any use in gauging whether it's practical to do without it completely, I would have to remove everything from the exceptions list then log all the times that I want to see the Flash content.

The big question remains though - how would I get the various video funnies I see on FB without Flash? Won't anyone think of the kittehs?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, i've uninstalled flash at home. At work since it's built in to windows, I couldn't completely remove it but I don't use it as much as possible since I don't really have anything critical that depends on it.

Also, facebook has moved over to html5 for video so i haven't seen any problems with that. html5 version of youtube seems better to me too.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the update, Chief ... FYI: Shockwave is also new at: 12.2.5.196

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Is Vavle the only company that still hasn't updated out of flash hell to HTML5?
Die flash, DIE!