Flash drive got wet.

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by DSF, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

So my USB flash drive ended up going through the washing machine. I don't have high hopes about the data being intact (thankfully it was all backed up), but it would be nice to know whether or not the thing is still usable.

-It's dry on the outside, but how long should I give it to make sure the internals are totally dry?
    -Assuming it's bone dry, is there any chance of damaging the computer by using it?

2. Rubycon

Rubycon Madame President

Let it dry thoroughly - 48 hours is good. Hang it in a warm, dry area. Every Sandisk Cruzer I've had that's been washed worked perfectly fine after it dried out and no data was lost!

I've even had them dropped in sea water and they survived. I strongly recommend washing them with fresh water before letting them dry in that case. The residual salt residue is highly hygroscopic and will cause problems if the humidity rises in the room, for example.

3. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

Great, thanks for the input!

4. Gaurav Duggal

Gaurav Duggal Member

My Kingston 1GB flash drive was washed in the washing machine like 10 times. Also once I accidently dropped it in a bucketfull of water !(fell out of my shirt pocket as I was bending over!), but it still works. Your flash drive should be fine. There is no chance of damaging the computer by plugging it in. (In the worst case scenario if it is short circuiting ur comp's USB port, ur comp will show a message on overdrawing of power.)

5. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

Yep, everything was fine just like you guys said. Good to know.

6. imported_wired247

imported_wired247 Golden Member

Anytime computer components get wet... I usually rinse it with high % isopropyl alcohol to speed up drying

7. thecoolnessrune

thecoolnessrune Diamond Member

Same with wired. Anytime an electronic gets wet I'll take 90% alcohol to it and then let it dry thoroughly. Has always worked just fine. As long as the component is off you're still usually good to go.

8. Fullmetal Chocobo

Fullmetal Chocobo Moderator<br>Distributed Computing

I had a SanDisk Cruzer go through the washer as well. Pulled it out of the washer, plugged it into the computer, and it was fine. I did kill a SanDisk Cruzer in the dryer though.

9. thegisguy

thegisguy Senior member

Yeah I've washed my Flash drives quite a few times. No problem. Now the one time it went through the drier that was a different story.

10. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

Yeah I can imagine a hot, high-static environment like a drier would be a bad place for a flash drive.