FL will not have a re-vote

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't think it's as big a deal as many make it out to be.

If I was an Obama/HRC supporter I wouldn't suddenly become a Repub/McCain fan because of this.

We'll just have to wait to see what, if anything, the DNC does about the FL delegates.

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

If I was an Obama/HRC supporter I wouldn't suddenly become a Repub/McCain fan because of this.

We'll just have to wait to see what, if anything, the DNC does about the FL delegates.

Fern

I support McCain because I hate the GOP.
I feel Bush's work of destroying the party is not finished, I think McCain needs 4 more years. He'll be GOP's LBJ. :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
just heard it on CNN... so much for Obama trying to win the state in November.

Why? It's was the state's fault their delegates were unseated.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. If either candidate has enough delegates to win on the first vote no matter what Florida does, the nominee will ask that they be seated, and they will be. Once the nominee has the required number of votes, they can afford to be gracious.

Why would this affect Obama negatively, Loki8481? No matter how it goes, he can simply stay out of it, point to the DNC rules, patch things up with the Floridians after the fact. I doubt that the Florida delegates will be seated prior to a winner being declared, given that Dean is running the show at the DNC. He's not shy, and I doubt he'll brook any interference from the DLC trying to run his convention... He can take the heat from that spotlight, probably revel in it, as will the rest of the DNC...

If the Florida delegation would push Hillary over to victory, she's screwed anyway- that won't happen. She'll have to win w/o them to win at all...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Good!
Theres a reason states MUST stick to the rules.

If states got away with moving primaries up and up,
Florida would be having their 2012 primary before the 2008 elections.
And Iowa would then move theirs up before Florida's.
Pointless...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Good news! What is the Hildabeast going to do now? FL and MI were her only hope of even possibly coming close to a nomination. Her chances are 0% now; she's drawing dead.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good. I wanted to vote for Obama but as a (R) I couldn't so I didn't vote. When I heard there might be a redo I decided to finally get off my arse and switch to the party I more identify with. I got a notice that my application to switch from (R) to (D) was delayed until after the election. Damn I hate politics. Anyway, good. I live in FL and I think we should be excluded for ignorant leadership!

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
An idiotic act of brinksmanship. I have absolutely no sympathy with the position taken by the Florida Democratic Party, they are consistently wrong and pigheaded about it.

If politicians have an sense of shame, I hope those clowns in Florida will feel some regret when they deliver the Presidency to the GOP (again).

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553
An idiotic act of brinksmanship. I have absolutely no sympathy with the position taken by the Florida Democratic Party, they are consistently wrong and pigheaded about it.

If politicians have an sense of shame, I hope those clowns in Florida will feel some regret when they deliver the Presidency to the GOP (again).

They knew this months ago when they decided to go against what the DNC wanted.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Dont worry guys. I'm sure Michigan will figure out some way to screw the whole thing up and have a re-vote. Not only that but I'm sure Michigan will figure out how to avoid making the DNC pay for it and pass the cost on to the taxpayers in the form of another new tax.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor
Good. I wanted to vote for Obama but as a (R) I couldn't so I didn't vote. When I heard there might be a redo I decided to finally get off my arse and switch to the party I more identify with. I got a notice that my application to switch from (R) to (D) was delayed until after the election. Damn I hate politics. Anyway, good. I live in FL and I think we should be excluded for ignorant leadership!
We'd probably just pooch the actual voting process again anyways :p

Originally posted by: Fern

Fern
Definitely, a wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if many here use their vote as a middle finger over the SNAFU.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: Robor
We'd probably just pooch the actual voting process again anyways :p

So true. How can the same state have 2 colossal screw ups so close together? There's the 'hanging chads' and 'butterfly ballots' and now the primary date moved. We're a friggin' running joke when it comes to elections.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett
Dont worry guys. I'm sure Michigan will figure out some way to screw the whole thing up and have a re-vote. Not only that but I'm sure Michigan will figure out how to avoid making the DNC pay for it and pass the cost on to the taxpayers in the form of another new tax.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Michigan must have one of the nation's worst state governments by far. It's a state without a future IMHO. Michigan's saving grace might be "Peak Water".

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

From what they were reporting on the news (MSNBC) this morning, the current plan is Michigan will have a re-vote on June 3rd, administered by the state but paid for by "private parties." I don't know the details.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Thump553

From what they were reporting on the news (MSNBC) this morning, the current plan is Michigan will have a re-vote on June 3rd, administered by the state but paid for by "private parties." I don't know the details.

they are now saying that it probably won't happen in Michigan as well because it cannot get the 2/3 needed in the legislature to pass. This bad for the DNC and the Democrats. Not having two large states with millions of people vote and have their voices heard in this close nomination process will cause uncertainty. Without the revotes, the Clinton camp can rightfully argue that not everyone was heard in the nomination process especially two large states that can change the delegate count.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Without the revotes, the Clinton camp can rightfully argue that not everyone was heard in the nomination process especially two large states that can change the delegate count.
And if the DNC chooses to accept the delegates as-is, the Obama camp can rightfully argue that Florida and Michigan broke party rules, and that they did not campaign in those states in compliance with those rules...and this will set a dangerous precendent for the Democrats if the Florida and Michigan delegates, again counted as-is, manage to swing the nomination back to Hillary.

It is too late for damage control at this point...no matter the outcome, half of the party is going to be outraged by the results.

And McCain has the best sound byte of the election...how can the Democrats expect to lead the country if they cannot even manage the electoral process of their own party?

Yet again, the Democrats are managing to screw up a sure thing.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: chowderhead

they are now saying that it probably won't happen in Michigan as well because it cannot get the 2/3 needed in the legislature to pass.

http://www.wwj.com/Democratic-...y-Won-t-Happen/1844462

WWJ Lansing Bureau Chief Tim Skubick reports state Senate Democrats came out of a closed door meeting Tuesday morning and said there are not enough votes to approve a re-do.

Legislative approval is necessary for a re-vote to happen.

Speaking live on WWJ, Skubick said it would take a "miracle" to have the re-do approved, but he added it's still possible.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The states with no primaries should just refuse to vote in the national election, or just take the Democratic candidate off their ticket. That would fix up the Democrats good.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: piasabird
The states with no primaries should just refuse to vote in the national election, or just take the Democratic candidate off their ticket. That would fix up the Democrats good.

Uh, it was the *states* fault. If they want to blame anyone they need only look in the mirror.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah great idea except that it would violate the constitution....

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

That would be childish, don't you think?

What's the message? Make our primary first in the nation or we'll guarantee the Presidency for the Repubs? Actually, you may be onto something. That does sound like what the Florida Dem leaders were saying to the national party.

Fern