Fixing TCP/IP and Networking in XP

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I have a friends computer and it appears the networking if messed up. It started with a power surge and he apparently lost the onboard network adapter. He then installed a new card but when I got the box, it seemed the old onboard was working. However, in the process of cleaning up the network connections, etc., the networking now seems to have stopped altogether. From the command prompt when I type IPCONFIG, I get a simple reply, IP Configuration and nothing else. I believe some windows XP component is now missing. Is there a networking repair procedure in XP? Something to reinstall TCP/IP like in the old 98 where you could remove it and reinstall it which sometimes fixed these types of problems. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Also, anything that uses networking, such as IE or Windows Explorer, immediately fails when attempting to access the network.

nordlaw

Oct 31, 2003
If you navigate to the Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connections, then right click, 'repair,' it will clear some caches, reset DNS, etc.

There may be a command line version, but I don't know it. GL! :)

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
Thanks, I did that and it did something in response, but still no luck. I think it is deeper then resetting DNS, etc. It might be something that got hosed in the registry with TCP/IP. I know in 98 you could go into the Add/Remove Windows components and uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP protocol and that would sometimes fix things like this. Seems from what I can see so far there is no such option in XP. TCP/IP is native in the OS so having an uninstall/reinstall option seems to be missing. I have heard of repairing or rebuilding the TCP/IP stack but am not knowledgable enough on how to do it. Or maybe TCP/IP is not connecting to the adapter. Hope more suggestions come in. Final option would be a repair install of XP which I would hope would fix it.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Are you sure the network adapter was installed correctly and is enabled? Does it show up as a device?

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
In XP, the TCP/IP stack can be rebuilt at the command line:

C:\>netsh int ip reset c:\newstack.log

I've often found that after doing this that it takes a release, renew, AND reboot to get things going again.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: sm8000
In XP, the TCP/IP stack can be rebuilt at the command line:

C:\>netsh int ip reset c:\newstack.log

I've often found that after doing this that it takes a release, renew, AND reboot to get things going again.

Cool info, will have to save that one...

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
If all that is said above does not work you can try the slow brute method.

Open up the network connections for each card, uninstall all the items used by that connections like TCP/IP and so on.
Then uninstall both the network card and the onboard adapter in the device manager. Restart the system and if you want to use the network card, disable the onboard adapter in the BIOS, if you want to try the onboard LAN then I recommend you uninstall the network adapter. Then install the latest drivers at boot.
If it still does not work you should see if you can find an alternate cable, and then do the same thing and install the other adapter.

I'm out of ideas for now.