Fixing plastic with brass threaded inserts/captive nuts on notebooks?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I've encountered broken posts and inserts on countless notebooks that I've repaired over the years but I've never had to make a true load-bearing fix. I could usually get by without the screw or just glue it all back together with superglue and sawdust (layer together to add thickness/strength). Somehow, I don't think that's good enough for the forces in a high-tension laptop hinge (Lenovo G580).

The replacement LCD back cover costs about three times what the owner is willing to pay and Google tells me that it's likely to just happen again anyway. Has anyone else developed a good method for this kind of repair? Is there a good alternative to the superglue/sawdust method? I don't have sawdust on hand anyway. :)

Last edited:

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
Pics would help with this but I'll give you something to think about.
Epoxy generally sticks pretty good to the plastics notebooks are made from and will lay thin to spread the bonding area. Use JB weld epoxy over JB weld stik with spring steel skeleton might just do the deed. Steal you wife's bobby pins for the spring steel, worst case, go buy them. Keep in mind when you straighten them the original U bend is very weak. I just snap them and use the halves.