Fixing a Logitech G400s mouse (small buttons)

jimhoyle

Jan 12, 2015
I have been looking for a working G400s mouse for ages, but have not been successful. At least 3 units I tested all had the same problem where some of the small circular buttons don't work every time when pressed. If you press with normal pressure, it may not register even it clicks. If you press with considerable force, it works better, but you don't want that.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to fix G400s small buttons clicker inside the mouse? It might be the same for G400 and MX518 (and maybe others too).

Or where can I buy G400s that has 100% working buttons?

(By the way I also noticed there is variety on the scroll wheel, some have a nasty seam sticking out, but that's easier to replace in case necessary.)

For my taste, G400s has the perfect shape, perfect amount of buttons and excellent shape for buttons. I don't fancy the childish print but the appearance is still good enough too. The scroll wheel isn't perfect but good enough. I don't like the mechanical noise, that is unnecessary on a mouse, however G400s is still the best I have yet found.

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
Thanks, but how do you know Amazon has a flawless batch? As I wrote, I have already tested 3 units and the small buttons are faulty. Not from Amazon, but from two different shops. All 3 units had the same problem (also my old MX518 has the same problem).

There's no way to guarantee...you're asking for the impossible.

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
Or you can order direct from Logitech.

I have a G400s that Logitech sent me as a replacement for my original G400 and it does not have the issue you have mentioned.

jimhoyle

Jan 12, 2015
My goodness. Thank you for the information. So it seems there are a few lucky who have working units. It's just that I have already bought and returned 3 times, so I have to start questioning my sanity at some point if I keep ordering again.

When I asked Logitech directly, they said that they can't send me a mouse that has been specifically tested for this problem. They also do not have (or give) instructions on how to fix the problem. They only offer a replacement of another mouse of same value.

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
Look on eBay and get the original G400...as I said earlier it's what I had before the G400s and it's pretty much the same mouse just different color and firmware.

jimhoyle

Jan 12, 2015
Then I have to ask the same question: how do I know that G400 is free from the problem? As said, my MX518 suffers from the same problem partially, so I'm very skeptical (for a reason).