(FIXED)Vid of CamaroSS burning ricers econoboxes left and right

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
omg! that Evo clip deserves a thread for it own.
that was so cool... :)
anyone has the Supra drifting one (with tons of burnt rubber and white smoke) ?

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: kenleung
you don't see they use drifting as a technique in F1 do you? drifting is NOT racing, it's merely a technique.

You don't see them drag launching and stopping after 1/4 mile either do you? Pretty much any idiot in a car can line up at a stop light and floor it when the light turns green, but let's see them try to drift.

Drifting is an exhibitionist sport like skating, snowboarding, etc. Some people get it, some people don't.

<-- gets it

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TuffGuy
you don't see they use drifting as a technique in F1 do you? drifting is NOT racing, it's merely a technique.

You don't see them drag launching and stopping after 1/4 mile either do you? Pretty much any idiot in a car can line up at a stop light and floor it when the light turns green, but let's see them try to drift.

Drifting is an exhibitionist sport like skating, snowboarding, etc. Some people get it, some people don't.

<-- gets it

drifting is for people who dont know the true way of turning. Give me a person doing normal laps and one drifting, the one doing normal laps would win almost everytime. If drifting was so fast and "cool" we would see it a Le Mans or Laguna Seca or Monaco.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Zclyh3
All you people care about is drag racing. REAL racers know that drag racing isn't everything. Can your Camaro SS do this? Or should I say...CAN YOU DO THIS?

Racers call it "drifting" for all you wannabe racers

Let me see. Drag racing is a professional organized sport. Drifting is not, unless I jsut don't know aobut the Professional Drifting League. If you'll watch any professional road race event, you'll notice that the driver's DON'T do that.

Maybe you should rethink what counts as "real racing".

why did you bother commenting at all...

For the exact same reason that you say "thieves are assholes, if anyone I knew was a thief, I'd kick his ass" when you overhear your brother and his friend contemplating shoplifting.

Well my friend I would like to see u then drive in a rallye world cup without being the master of drifting - even if u get to the finish line (highly unlikely) you would prolly be surprised how much faster the pros were...

but off course on race courses u usually dont want to drift cause that means lossing grip= loosing speed

btw I dont even regard drag racing remotely as a sport and it would be way more environmentally friendly to test your reflexes on the computer. Like push enter when green light pops up, cause thats pretty much all the have to be able to do in drag racing...
i dont know how tight the rules are in drag racing regarding the engines - so if they are really strict on whats allowed than at least it is a sport for the engineers. But if not give me the money and I could win any drag race all u need is biggest engine on the block a good ASR and a guy that has fast reflexes and knows what a gas pedal does...

btw cool sliding that guy wasnt bad but I have seen better :) on Hockenheim slide competition ( this is not about speed just about good controlled execution of slide throuout a long wide curve and looks off course

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
For those of you who think drag racing isn't a sport, you odviously HAVE NO CLUE what it's really like. "Mash the gas and go in a straight line" isn't what it's about.

Do you go when the light turns green?
No, you go before the light turns green, your body's reaction time and car's reaction time is quite long.
What happens if you go when the light turns green?
You'll find your RSX get beat by a stock Suburban.
What is a good reaction time?
.500 on a pro tree (.400 is perfect), .600-700 on a sportsman (.500 is perfect)
So I just mash the gas then?
Only if you want to have a poor launch, automatic equipped vehicles are best brake torqued and manuals are best launched w/ some RPM.
How much RPM?
Finding out is a large part of the game :)

And that's ignoring the mechanical end and assuming you're running an automatic left in drive.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Yield
give me $2000 aside from the price of a Neon SRT-4 and watch me rape the Camaro SS... HA-HA.

I think I am going to get sick and die.... Neons seriously make me want to throw up. They are ugly, cheaply made, and resell value = teh suck.

They are fast(off the line)....but other than that, they suck.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Z28 runs 12s? no way. a Viper GTS runs like mid-low 12's and it has 450 HP stock. a Z28 Camaro has what? 275? what-ev-ar....... :p
but i agree.. 350Z will not beat a Camaro SS. it's a fast car, it's not as fast as an SS with 330 HP. probably runs high 13's /14's.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Z28 runs 12s? no way. a Viper GTS runs like mid-low 12's and it has 450 HP stock. a Z28 Camaro has what? 275? what-ev-ar....... :p
but i agree.. 350Z will not beat a Camaro SS. it's a fast car, it's not as fast as an SS with 330 HP. probably runs high 13's /14's.

320HP for the SS, 305 for the last Z-28, but it also features a straight axle which makes for better contact patches. Remember, most auto mags lift the throttle when they shift. (read: not power shifting)

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Well - drag racing is for those uniquely American idiots who would reach for a copy of 'Plato for Dummies' on being told that the start line is also the finish line.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: TuffGuy

<-- gets it

drifting is for people who dont know the true way of turning. Give me a person doing normal laps and one drifting, the one doing normal laps would win almost everytime. If drifting was so fast and "cool" we would see it a Le Mans or Laguna Seca or Monaco.

You need to work on your reading comprehension bud. Oh yeah, drifting is for people that don't know the "true" way of turning. Right. I'm sure that they're not aware of that and that they think that drifting is the fastest way around a corner. Like I said, it's an EXHIBITIONIST sport. It's done for FUN. But I guess that you couldn't relate, since driving in a straight line for 1/4 mile or going around in circles on a track is the only thing you like. Yes, those are "real" racers. PLEASE.

You might want to tell rally racers to stop drifting too.

A drifter can grip drive, but I doubt that every grip driver knows how to drift.

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by: iamme
All you people care about is drag racing. REAL racers know that drag racing isn't everything. Can your Camaro SS do this? Or should I say...CAN YOU DO THIS?

Racers call it "drifting" for all you wannabe racers

Damn, that was pretty cool :)

YOU feel me iamme? That's RACING.

I don't see any other racers? How can that be racing? :D
Get some other cars out there and start doing that stuff and see how much of a car you have left after all of them collide. lol .... I don't see vipers and z00ped up vettes on the REAL racing teams doing that. :p I admit, it's cool as crap but I don't see the point of it on your tire wear of a long - lapped course.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Z28 has 305 but really it has the same as the SS. Also I was at the track when my friend ran that time. Also Evan Smith from a FORD magazine drove that Z28 to a 12.8x. Sorry but that is the way it is. I am a Ford guy but the LS1/LS6 engine is a beast.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Ricers are incredibly annoying... but should be ignored, not raced. Unfortunately, they've given a bad name to ALL import tuners.... I used to have a modified Civic (no stickers, no wings, no spoilers... the only outwardly discernable difference was the 15" Volk wheels and a slightly lower ride height), but I got rid of it just because of the ricers. idiots.

Racing on the freeway/highway/city streets is annoying, stupid, and wholly irresponisble. They should be penalized to the MAXIMUM extent of the law. There are drag strips, raceways, and even governed events in parking lots that would do just as well.