Question Fixed audio.. driver from Guru 3D ...Thanks yall !! ....My ASUS 32" monitors took over my desktop speakers

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Using a HDMI cable for video on a 750Ti..... Phenom II and MSI mobo

Went to "Sound" and all that was there was the Asus monitor and 2 other HDMI devices " not installed"

Was working for a year but unplugged the monitor cable a few times to test another PC

I tried the original audio drivers but explorer locked up and the .exe file disappeared

Down loaded Win 7 64 audio drivers from MSI but only XP drivers show up

Went online till my eyes bled an same ole suggestions that doona work

Perhaps the collection of minds here can help me

Ricky.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
what speakers do you have? are they using the typical 3.5mm connector?
Does your Asus monitor have a 3.5mm jack?
Have you tried plugging them into the monitor instead of the computer?

It's likely MSI has one audio driver package for your motherboard that spans multiple windows versions, so assuming you picked the correct motherboard model it should work.
If you tell us your motherboard model we can look up the audio chipset and help you find the drivers from the audio chipset manufacturer.

If you can't get the drivers to work you could try a repair install of Windows 7.

Reactions: winr

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Desktop speakers have typical connector

785GTM-E45 .....Asus 32" monitor is plugged into an Areo 1070 ti with HDMI cable

I Just noticed the real tech controll panel is missing

I downloaded all the MSI Win. 7 drivers a few years ago, still have them but the setup.exe file is now missing in the zipped audio file

Down loaded Win 7 64 audio drivers from MSI but only XP drivers show up even though MSI shoes XP and WIn7 64

Does your Asus monitor have a 3.5mm jack?
Have you tried plugging them into the monitor instead of the computer? **

I will look and see

I think your right about a repair or I might just reinstall Win. 7

Many thanks !!

Ricky.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, there was a purge during the last year in which many mobo mfg's removed their Win7 64-bit drivers.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
At most plugging the monitor just changed the default, not wiped out the existing driver... unless something else happened, too.

In your taskbar tray, right click on the speaker icon and choose sounds, or get there from control panel.

On the Playback tab of the window that opens, you should see multiple listings, including the monitor and HDMI output, but also the Realtek potentially listed as "speakers". One of these entries will have a green checkmark and that's the one set as default.

Click on the realtek/speakers item and at the bottom click the "Set Default" button, then ok or apply and close the window and you should be set.

The other option is to restore your windows partition backup that you made just prior to any of this happening. Everyone makes those partition backups, right?

Lastly, it is possible that the XP driver is the same as for Win7, but either way, I have the driver package, for a board with ALC892 but it lists that it supports 888 among others as well. I can upload it for you if necessary but instead here's a link to where I got it on Asus 'site:

DDL Link:

If the Asus installer is looking for an Asus board, just browse into the Driver folder and install from there.

Last edited:

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Thanks much for all the trouble you guys have went

I loaded Win. 7 PRO on an SDD card to play around with it in case I mess up my original drive

The realtek control panel was just gone, only thing under sound was the Asus monitor and 2 more HDMI devices

I tried all the downloads above and they all revert back to Win. XP .... looked on other brand sites and there are only a few Win. 7 drivers as Larry said

Msi site drivers for Win. 7 have no chipset but there is a new bios

I am down loading from the realtek site at the moment , it is real slow... we shall see if the audio works

Nvidia drivers would not load for 1070ti... needs a file or such, I think I will have update all the Win 7 updates first

Wow ... with the SSD drive, this ole Phenom II boots fast and Chrome web sites load fast as well

Ricky.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Noone of the audio worked .....

I do remember Malwarebytes showed up and stated there 2 new updates... with no thought, I clicked ok

They were Microsoft updates, I have it set to download but ask me if I wish to install

Was around then my desktop speakers quit working and realtek control panel went missing

After the new install of Win. 7 PRO on an SSD card, windows update showed there was an error

Probably a coincidence though

I have Win. 10 PRO on a Phenom mobo a few years newer than the 785GTM but with DDR3
It runs Win. 10 fine ..... but.... was an upgrade from Win. 7 when it was available

Wonder if all the older hardware is borked from now on ??

Ricky.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So I have my headphones plugged into my monitor and my speakers plugged into the back panel of my motherboard.
This works for me as I can just switch outputs with a hot key (I use an app called sound switch I think) rather than having to move and unplug things.
This has been working for ages until recently. It still works but occasionally windows does something weird behind the scenes and messes it up. Sometimes ill lose all output on my speakers, I can switch to my headphones fine. The PC thinks it's playing to the speakers (the visual indicator under the volume moves, my razer lightning responds as if music is playing just no sound).
For some reason windows seemed to have gotten rid of the realtek sound panel since tracking down a version that works and some driver deleting and reinstalling I can now get things working again. If I toggle off the automatic detection of jack's being plugged in it works as it should again.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In addition to my question about Device Manager, is audio enabled in the BIOS? If it's missing from Device Manager and enabled in the BIOS, I'd try flipping it on and off just in case.

Re getting something new - check prices of PCI sound cards, you might find one new and ultra cheap.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I loaded the pc when I had a Dell 27" monitor with a DVI cable

Then bought the 32" monitor using an HDMI cable, speakers still worked

Windows update asked me to download to critical updates, that is around the time I think the monitor speakers took over and the realtek control panel dissapeared

I installed 7 or 8 different audio drivers but still no sound on realtek panel

A while ago, I hooked the 27" Dell monitor up with a DVI cable and unplugged the 32" monitor HDMI cable

Using the Dell, I installed a set of Realtek drivers that were for Win 7 through Win 10 from a Czech driver site

The others would probably have worked also, rebooted and there was the same panel with the 3 HDMI devices all 3 were grayed out

But, there 2 more now, Realtek speakers and realtek digital, I checked the realtek speaker box and voila !!

The realtek control panel appeared, I guess the DVI cable going to the video card kept the box from showing ??

Many thanks Guys !! .... I did find a bunch of drivers I think I can make a complete set for this ole mobo now

Going to hook up the SSD card with the new Win 7 install and load the drivers on it

Regards

PS. I rolled back the PC to get rid of the 2 new Win updates, I kept getting a full screen add saying my OS was old and I needed to upgrade to Win 11

Ricky.