Fix for windows 7 update

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hossain84

Sep 25, 2016
You can directly fix your Windows problem from directly microsoft support center. I prefer that.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Went to install windows 7 the other day for an HTPC as I thought it would be a better choice for some older hardware. If only I had found this thread sooner as I spent an entire afternoon fighting with windows 7 updates on both a Home and Ultimate edition. That was the first time I've ever had any sort of update issue with windows 7 or any serious issue for that matter. Whether Microsoft has deliberately made this this a headache or not is unknown to me.

But I grabbed a copy of windows 10 Pro and got everything running as smooth as butter. Now 7 just feels so dated and with the support starting fall off my days of 7 are now behind me.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just updated a machine (fresh install) and I seem to have powered through using the service stack update and 3 different Windows update updates to get there. I think I'm just going to turn the updates off now though since its just a gaming VM and I don't want to deal with it crapping the bed on updates when I run it once every two weeks.

Its pretty terrible really, I feel like Windows updates during the XP days were a lot easier to deal with. I never remember getting just utterly stuck like this. And it seems to happen every time I try.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I didn't start having problems with it until july, seem's too coincidental
Thats around the time MS released updates to fix slow update problems and one patch was replaced because it caused trouble.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
But I grabbed a copy of windows 10 Pro and got everything running as smooth as butter. Now 7 just feels so dated and with the support starting fall off my days of 7 are now behind me.
Win10 has problems with updates too, even if it isn't as serious. But its larger updates which are really upgrades have caused alot of trouble for many people and updates in Win10 cannot be delayed or stopped without some complicated tinkering unless you have the Enterprise edition.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Hey is there any fix for Net Frame 4.0 update? I have to install autocad 2013 on my pc, it has windows 7 and its giving me Net frame 4.0 error. I don't know why coz I have Net Frame 4.0 installed. I have checked msscore file in my system file and read the properties too. It says I have Net Frame version 4.0 installed. Yet I face the same error, over and over again..

Help?
It depends on the error, I recall there was a specific issue with Autocad 2015 when installing if you had something newer than 4.0.

You could give the .Net Framework Repair tool a try from here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2698555

Reactions: Harley Ben

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
(KB3205402) MS16-155 released Dec last week
December, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64

and ...

(KB3207752) December, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems - Download size: 142.8 MB
--- ( Does not exist in MS in " More information " )

And ....

(KB890830) Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - December 2016 - Download size: 7.7 MB

All 3 will not download .... Never times out ...

Been trying to download since released....

and I just tried to update MS essentials but it actually timed out ....

It looks like the " upgrade and telemetry " to Win10 may have something to do with this ?
I've been skipping anything that pertains to the upgrade to Win10 and telemetry ...

I will never upgrade to Win10 ... I dont have hundreds of dollars to spend to buy new hardware
( printers ... etc - ( 3 of my printers do not work in Win10 ) and many other issues I posted the last time I logged in here )
_________ Logfile Errors ________________________________

1st errors occurrence on 12/16 - repeated over and over again on each download attempt....

1.) Initiating changes for package KB3207752. Current state is Resolved. Target state is Staged. Client id: WindowsUpdateAgent.

2.) Package KB3207752 failed to be changed to the Staged state. Status: 0x800f0816.

________________ MS Fix just bored the update process now _______________________

Just ran the Win7 version of the "update fixer "
( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 ) --- dont use this tool !!!!

Now I'm in deeper shyt ...

Windows update fails with this error now ...
"WindowsUpdate_80244019" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

wtf ....

Last edited:

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Hi, thanks for your reply.
The " reset tool " left my OS with the error codes above.
I had to delete a registry key to " fix " that error.
( https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-update-error-0x80070057?forum=w7itprogeneral )

" If error 80070057 is encountered while an update installation is attempting to modify a network-related setting or driver, launch Regedit and delete the binary value “Config” from HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network. "

After reboot ... Update had nor error .. and said it was " up to date "
Then, this morning, the 3 same KB's appeared in my as needed to download.

The process has been running 5 hours now ... with no errors and no downloads.

... just keeps " trying to download "

I'm not going to use that " reset process" that I used again.

I'm looking at your link ... and the " download" fix-it has been disabled.

My Win Update version ( Wuaueng.dll ) is for my Win7 x64 is 7.6.7601.19046

This is the update I skipped.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

It references " undisclosed " Win10 installed processes for the " upgrade " i will never do.

Does this KB secretly add the " telemetry " I have been trying to avoid ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
I downloaded the " WindowsUpdateAgent-7.6-x64.exe "
After reboot ... It installed the same version number.
( .. or it didn't work .. lol )

... just keeps " trying to download "

I mentioned I left this running for 5 days ?
( at 25 percent CPU usage .... )

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
For Windows 7 Windows Update Issues, this is what I have been doing lately.
1- Download the following files
1a - Latest WU Client https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
b - KB3177467 32-bit 64-bit
c - KB3172605 32-bit 64-bit
d - KB312557 Microsoft Catalog Update Site

Once those 4 are downloaded. Disconnect from the internet, either unplug the cable or disable the network/wireless adapters
Install the patches in order and REBOOT after each. It does not seem to work properly if you do not reboot

Then it should not take very long to search for updates, ive seen it drop down to about 10-15 min, at most probably 30min but never timed it

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I'm looking at your link ... and the " download" fix-it has been disabled.

My Win Update version ( Wuaueng.dll ) is for my Win7 x64 is 7.6.7601.19046
Don't use the automatic 'fix-it' use the standalone package above it.

See Dahak's post above, this is currently the best order of things to get WU working on it's own after clean install of W7 /SP1. I've use those recommended patches in that order now about four times and it works.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Don't use the automatic 'fix-it' use the standalone package above it.

See Dahak's post above, this is currently the best order of things to get WU working on it's own after clean install of W7 /SP1. I've use those recommended patches in that order now about four times and it works.

Any it works for any machine, does not even have to be a fresh install. I did about 40 over the past week with them and its helped all of them ( End of Year Maintenance for clients)

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Thanks ....

Took about 1.5 hours to do the steps.

1b. - was already installed - did not allow re-install.
1d - Was " hung up " during install... waited about 15 minutes before trying "cancel" ... Cancel was doing nothing for another 5 minutes until I "killed" the process.

Then, I initiated a reboot, and it then began installing the update.
( before shutdown )
I had no "progress" indicator until 13 minutes.... ( I thought it was "hungup" again ) .. it then took around 15 minutes to get to 35% installed , and rebooted.
It then completed the install before desktop login, and rebooted again.

I rebooted again before plugging in the Ethernet.

About 10 minutes past, and the action center indicated I had 9 updates to install.

( including the 3 above I had problems with )

The Windows Update progress indicator works again now also.
( I haven't seen that indicator working in a long time )

The CPU is resting nicely now also ...

Thanks again.
Hope this helps some others also....

Happy Holidays ...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
There are many threads with the same problem, here is the solution that worked for me:

1. disable updates, set it to never check
2. restart

3. install this manually: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
(direct links:)
32Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=fcd6bf5d-f004-4ca3-aa7e-1de462b91dd0
64Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4fe566bd-31b1-4413-8c4c-412b52533669

4. restart
5. install updates normally now, either set to automatic check or manually check ..etc.

----

the link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 says:

Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Issue 1
When you install updates by using System Center Configuration Manager, the installation takes a long time, and System Center Configuration Manager becomes overloaded.
Issue 2
The Svchost.exe process occupies 100 percent of CPU usage when you upgrade a Windows Update client to Windows 10.

Thanks that fixed my problem!

But whoa now there's 215 updates to do. lol that sounds very wrong!

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Well they sorta did, they call it the convenience rollup. It only available from the Microsoft catalog site.
Its KB312557. In my post #65 above has a direct link

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yeah, I wish they had just released a Service Pack 2. It would save a lot of bandwidth.

Oh I didn't know that. I did yet another reinstall and used the OP's work around to get the updater not to stick and was shocked again that there were 215 updates to apply after SP1. I thought the first time I ran it it was a glitch.

Ha that 30GB drive got shredded. Think all the updates added close to 6GB.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
For Windows 7 Windows Update Issues, this is what I have been doing lately.
1- Download the following files
1a - Latest WU Client https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
b - KB3177467 32-bit 64-bit
c - KB3172605 32-bit 64-bit
d - KB312557 Microsoft Catalog Update Site

Once those 4 are downloaded. Disconnect from the internet, either unplug the cable or disable the network/wireless adapters
Install the patches in order and REBOOT after each. It does not seem to work properly if you do not reboot

Then it should not take very long to search for updates, ive seen it drop down to about 10-15 min, at most probably 30min but never timed it

Success following this method, loosely!

PC runs Windows 7 Professional. Since May 2016 (last successful updates) Windows Update was hanging when checking for updates - didn't matter how long I waited. It was getting old. Time to get serious.

I downloaded all patches listed above.
Unplugged network cable.

a) Installed first patch - update to Windows Update Client. Turned out unnecessary, I already had the latest version of WU installed.

b) Ran standalone patch installer for this update. It hung on the "Searching for updates on this computer...." dialog. Never got to the install stage. Waited 1 hour 20 minutes. Fail.

Turned off pc for the day. Came back today.

Plugged network cable back in. Googled "standalone windows installer checks for updates" - found solution on SuperUser.com.
c) Tried installing KB3172605 patch as suggested there, first turning off Windows Update service. Success! This time installer didn't hang "Searching for updates on this computer....". Rebooted as prompted. Realized this was patch (c) above. Ok, time for (b).
[ I should mention the first reboot attempt hung at the "Preparing to configure updates" step. Uh-oh. I aborted the bootup, and retried in safe mode. Patch installed properly on second boot! Lucky me.]

b) Turned off Windows Update service. Ran standalone installer for patch b - KB3177467. Successful install! No reboot necessary but I did reboot for fun.

d) Turned off Windows Update service. Ran standalone installer for patch d - KB3125574 Catalog update. Took 1/2 hour w/ boots/partial boots, but succeeded!

Freshly booted, I opened Windows Update, and found a bunch of updates for Office/Windows from last year. Downloaded and installed 32 updates successfully. (One Windows Security Update failed.) Rebooted. No more "Important updates" available. Sweet.

I think the key here was turning off Windows Update service before launching standalone installer (.msu). Of course I had to stop it after every reboot using services.msc. I don't think the network cable made a difference.

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
@FeuerFrei -- Would quote but it seems to be broken. -- I have been reading that some posts lately around the web that stopping the service seems to work now too. Usually I just set my WU to never search and that is usually enough but good to know in the future that maybe stopping the WU service would be a good idea too

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
@FeuerFrei -- Would quote but it seems to be broken. -- I have been reading that some posts lately around the web that stopping the service seems to work now too. Usually I just set my WU to never search and that is usually enough but good to know in the future that maybe stopping the WU service would be a good idea too
With WU service stopped, the installer's preliminary "Searching for updates on this computer ..." phase flashed by in a second or two - no interminable hang. In the past I've let it sit up to 5 hours, hoping for completion. :persevere:

Thanks for posting those instructions.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
FWIW, all of my Windows 7 installs have been updating normally for the past week. This includes OEM/Retail, Dell/HP, as well as from home & at the various business sites that I service (fiber, cable, DSL, managed & unmanaged - various ISP's). Also includes from fresh installs (from CD or USB), as well as imaged installs, plus desktops/laptops/VM's.

So basically there was a long period where it was a huge headache to get Windows 7 updated. Currently having no issues updating any of them. Typically average maybe 2 or 3 Win7 systems a day. This is a really nice change. Not sure how long it will last (or what the problem was before), but I haven't had to do any stupid tricks to get it working. Every single machine I've run Win7 updates on for has begun the update process within 30 minutes (some started within minutes after running an update check).

Awesome!

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
This week, MS again tried to slip KB 2952664 in among the updates, plus a new one that would try to impose the Win 10 upgrade, :)