Fix for windows 7 update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Apparently MS has released (yet another) update/patch for Windows Update Client and Servicing Stack that reportedly aims to address the unusually long time to check/process updates in Windows 7 (and Server 2008 R2). Anecdotally there appears to be a couple positive reports that it actually works (this time). It can be obtained as part of an update rollup:

June 2016 Update Rollup

Haven't tested it myself but intend to. Note: Prior to installing the rollup, change Windows Update to "never check for updates". Then re-enable updates checking AFTER the rollup is installed (after reboot).

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think it would work for my machine. It chokes every time on two particular updates: KB6828725 and KB2868626, security updates.

Right now, the machine wants to install 152 updates. If I let it do that, it will take several hours and at the very end it will say that those two updates failed and it has to roll back to the previous configuration, which takes hours more. No more, I'm reinstalling Win7 from the installation disk (with doesn't include SP1) on that machine. My image is lost because the backup external HD failed! Sucks, but I don't think there's any other way to fix it.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm reinstalling Win7 from the installation disk (with doesn't include SP1) on that machine. My image is lost because the backup external HD failed! Sucks, but I don't think there's any other way to fix it.

Bad idea. Download direct from Microsoft the Win7-SP1 .iso file. Use that file and Rufus to create a bootable USB thumb drive.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bad idea. Download direct from Microsoft the Win-SP1 .iso file. Use that file and Rufus to create a bootable USB thumb drive.
I've never used Rufus. What's wrong with doing it the way I planned? :confused:

BTW, I downloaded the Win7 SP1 file already (the installation file, not the ISO). What's wrong with running that after the basic Win7 installation?

Would Rufus integrate my Win7 install disk with the SP1 ISO in creating a bootable USB installation drive? What exactly is the idea? :confused:

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Apparently MS has released (yet another) update/patch for Windows Update Client and Servicing Stack that reportedly aims to address the unusually long time to check/process updates in Windows 7 (and Server 2008 R2). Anecdotally there appears to be a couple positive reports that it actually works (this time). It can be obtained as part of an update rollup:

June 2016 Update Rollup

Haven't tested it myself but intend to. Note: Prior to installing the rollup, change Windows Update to "never check for updates". Then re-enable updates checking AFTER the rollup is installed (after reboot).

I tried installing that rollup on a fresh Win7 64-bit SP1 Home Premium install on my Q9300 rig (upgraded to a 160GB SSD), and it wouldn't install. Gave me an error about could not / did not apply to this computer.

So I had to install the April 2016 servicing stack update, then the convenience rollup, and then that one. Now I'm attempting to do updates online.

Edit: Not bad, around 5 minutes to get the list of remaining updates. (IE11, etc.)

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I tried installing that rollup on a fresh Win7 64-bit SP1 Home Premium install on my Q9300 rig (upgraded to a 160GB SSD), and it wouldn't install. Gave me an error about could not / did not apply to this computer.

So I had to install the April 2016 servicing stack update, then the convenience rollup, and then that one. Now I'm attempting to do updates online.
Yeah, Servicing Stack Update (as well as SP1) is prerequisite I didn't mention it because it's noted in the KB article for the Rollup.

Finally a real fix!

Last edited:

Prime2515103

Oct 28, 2010
If anyone can explain why this might have happened I would love to hear it.

So, on a fresh install of Win7 x64, I go to get updates and the first thing, of course, is an update to windows update.

After installing that, WU no longer works. Using the method outlined in the sticky on this forum, as well as other methods (including 3rd party automatic fixes) and it still wouldn't work after it failed again the first time, and I had to reinstall Windows a second time. Rinse, repeat.

Now, on the third install of Windows, it fails again after the initial WU update, and again, I hit with a sledgehammer (i.e. WSUS Offline Update) and WU works again so I proceed run WU to install the rest of the updates.

After that, it sits there saying it's downloading the updates but it is stuck at 0%. I did EVERYTHING and couldn't fix it.

Well, after uninstalling IE11 it works fine (I repeated install [from WU] and uninstall three times, using system restore in between, with consistent results).

At the same time, it is telling me that .NET 4.5.2 needs to be installed, but 4.6 is already installed so, obviously, it fails.

So, I decide to use the IE11 standalone installer. It installed fine, WU works, the .NET "false-possitive" was removed and all is well now.

Before I fixed it, yes, I checked proxy settings, added WU servers to the safe sites list in internet options, ran SFC, etc. etc., and it did no good.

Microsoft just released a WU update recently to fix these issues but IE11 (from WU only) was the cause the whole time.

My whole weekend down the drain. Thanks MS. :rolleyes:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Assuming you are already starting from Service Pack 1 base (install SP1 for Windows 7 if not already). In Windows Update settings, turn off Windows Updates checking ("Never check for updates"), disconnect from the internet (or disable network adapter), then install:

1. System Update Readiness Tool (32-bit / 64-bit) - optional may skip if no prior update problems
2. Windows Update Agent 7.x (link)
3. April 2015 Servicing Stack (link)
4. July 2016 Update Rollup (link)

Do NOT defer any restart prompts. i.e. If prompted to restart, then restart now not later. After complete, turn Updates Checking back on to your preference such as 'Automatically check' or 'Download but let me choose updates to install'.

If you want to include the large SP2-esque Convenience Rollup, I would recommend doing it for Step #4 then move July 2016 Update Rollup to #5.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyonir

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just did a clean install this morning to try out the "SP2" rollup and see how it worked. Was installing in a virtual machine on an SSD so performance was quick.
Did the April 2015 update, then the "SP2" then the June 2016 rollup, then IE 11, then checked for updates. The whole process took maybe 25 minutes from the initial install.

Then ran Windows update and found 42 updates in 4 minutes (much better than the usual time) and those installed without issue.

Very happy with this method vs. the old wait a long time for the update check, download and install.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
One thing about a Win7 SP1 Upgrade you loose SYS-Prep and it's ability to migrate the Win OS to different hardware.

That includes any MS Upgrade software including any SP or the Win 10 Upgrade.

Best to do a clean install of the latest version of a WINX OS in order to preserve SYS-Prep and the option to Migrate Win to New Hardware by saving a SYS-Prep Image. I believe you have 3 chances to use an SYS-Prep Image pending your changes to the OS before running out of options but there is a Re-Arm SYS-Prep HACK but not for a SP or UpGrade Win OS.

You don't have to worry about KEYS or MS registration if you load a SYS-Prep Image onto any Vista through to Win10 compilable platform.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, Ah'm back. (I'm back.)

tcsenter offered a nice summary procedure for fixing the WU problem with the latest convenience and update rollups.

I didn't have to follow these latest "SP-type" updates on my machines, using some of the earlier KB updates and WU Agent updates that have been mentioned since October, 2015. All my systems were again working properly. To recap -- these were (a) an 8-year-old Gateway C2D laptop, (b) my gaming rig (2700K), and (c) my original Sandy Bridge (2600K) rig which provides HTPC function 24/7 and mostly updates itself in the background. (c) hasn't given me any WU problems.

The other aspect of my configuration chores involved putting Win10 on these three systems in a "clean-install/dual-boot" configuration. And the whole point of that exercise: to find a way to get Windows Media Center (or similar) to work with Windows 10. That has been a "separate journey."

This latter challenge has so far been tentatively resolved two ways: subscription and installation of SiliconDust's Kickstarter HD Homerun DVR (which still won't give me most cable encrypted premium channels); and a hack of WMC (Win 8.1) with specific installation instructions from a WMC-enthusiast web-site (like Green-Button, but it wasn't Green Button). Meanwhile, I have WMC working fine on all three of those system under Win 7. I also have WMC working without bug or flaw under Win 10 on the gaming rig -- in addition to the SillyDust Kickstarter version of HDHomeRun VIEW.

But today, the laptop told me that it needs to update the "Guide" listing (under Win 7) for WMC with some program updates. It all completed just fine, but afterward, I noticed (again) the SVCHOST hogging clock-cycles perpetually. Opened WU -- it's "checking for updates." This has been going on for some 8 to 10 hours now, and apparently the only fix I have for it is that summarized by tcsenter.

What a pain in the ass. Yes -- I said it. Not "PITA" -- but a pain . . . in . . . the . . . ASS.

UPDATE some few hours later: Well, like Ray Lucca, fictional Crime Lord in the '80s "Crime Story" drama said to (Richard Farina) the FBI agent: "Ah'm back. Ah'm bad. Ah'm on top. You wingtip bozos [at M$] ain't got nuthin' on me . . .

This has become such a pain . . . Oh. . . . I said that already . . .

Won't go into experience and decision about installing the Stack Servicing update, which I think was third in tcsenter's procedure. Nothing happened when I selected the red "Download" button. Finally checked update history and found it had been successfully installed some months ago . . or weeks . . . . I don't remember. . . .

Last edited:

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Assuming you are already starting from Service Pack 1 base (install SP1 for Windows 7 if not already). In Windows Update settings, turn off Windows Updates checking ("Never check for updates"), then install:

1. System Update Readiness Tool (32-bit / 64-bit) - optional may skip if no prior update problems
4. June 2016 Update Rollup (link)

Do NOT defer any restart prompts. i.e. If prompted to restart, then restart now not later. After complete, then turn Updates Checking back on to your preference such as 'Automatically check' or 'Download but let me choose updates to install'.

If you want to include the large SP2-esque Convenience Rollup, I would recommend doing it for Step #4 then move June 2016 Update Rollup to #5.

Just had to say "Thank you!" to you tcsenter. This has been driving me nuts since I got a new PC with Win7. I thought I had it solved, but then recently it Windows Update starting hanging again. I've searched all over for a solution on Google but never really found anything as clear and concise as your post. Best of all, it fricken worked. No idea why I didn't come looking here for a solution...duh.

Reactions: tcsenter

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Updates stopped working for myself around 3 to 6 months. Then shortly after windows 10 stopped being free upgrade it just started working again. I made no changes on my system. Go figure :)

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
This thread is gold and exactly why forums are such an invaluable source of information. My Windows 7 laptop stopped updating a while ago but I didn't know why until I read this thread. I've also got fed up of the nonsense in Windows 10 and reinstalled 7 on my main PC and it updated like a charm. My steps were:

1. Download a new W7 ISO w/ SP1 direct from Microsoft using my retail box key. Cool they now offer this service as I had to post install SP1 previously. (My previous slipstreamed version failed activation, dunno why).

2. Windows Update Agent 7.x - Reboot.

3. April 2015 Servicing Stack - Reboot.

4. Convenience Rollup - Reboot.

5. July 2016 Update Rollup - Reboot.

6. Run Windows update and do what's left. Mainly .NET 4.6.1 + updates and Silverlight.

I can understand that most people have no clue about a computer and just want to turn it on and it works, so Windows 10 does make sense for them. But for power users who know their machine inside out and want it setup their way Windows 10 just isn't for me. Far too much BS going on. Windows 7 has no BS at all.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Thank you!! Just wanted to post and confirm that this worked for me (along with the convenience rollup) for a machine that hadn't been used in a long time and then was taking Hours to check for updates with no results. I did have to restart a couple more times but it looks good now and checking for new updates just takes a few minutes.

Assuming you are already starting from Service Pack 1 base (install SP1 for Windows 7 if not already). In Windows Update settings, turn off Windows Updates checking ("Never check for updates"), then install:

4. June 2016 Update Rollup (link)

Do NOT defer any restart prompts. i.e. If prompted to restart, then restart now not later. After complete, then turn Updates Checking back on to your preference such as 'Automatically check' or 'Download but let me choose updates to install'.

If you want to include the large SP2-esque Convenience Rollup, I would recommend doing it for Step #4 then move June 2016 Update Rollup to #5.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Just fresh installed Windows 7 x64.

After the SP1 update came down I could no longer get updates, hung at "Checking for Updates" forever

OP's method is working so far.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Just installing the original hotfix has been working pretty well for me on new installs - if I install that before giving the computer an Internet connection, delays in processing WU have been fairly minimal.

I do notice my own PC from time to time spending hours saturating a core while chewing over WU though.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Just fresh installed Windows 7 x64.

After the SP1 update came down I could no longer get updates, hung at "Checking for Updates" forever
A few days ago I installed W7 w/SP1 (integrated) 64-bit. No post-SP1 updates applied except for one that was integrated in the SP1 'media refresh' release. With updates check turned off, the Windows Update Agent 7.x installed quickly but the April 2015 Servicing Stack Update actually took a while to process; about 45 minutes (on a quad core with 8GB RAM). Not sure why. I'll try it again soon because I have another system to reinstall everything onto.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I also noticed that if one of the manual updates like the Windows update agent seems to be taking longer than usual to start installing after you initiate it, sometimes restarting the pc and trying again does the trick for some reason.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a friend with a Win7 64-bit box I built him ages ago. (Mobo is from 2008, don't remember what year I gave him a retail copy of Win7, but was likely within a year of release.)

Anyways, he's having trouble with Windows Update. Not exactly the same problem as I was having with recent new SP1-included media installs. It just sits there, and chews up one CPU core 100% (he has a quad-core). But it's not waiting for the list of updates, he gets those. It's the "download" phase, it sits at 0%, for hours.

(I just thought of something, maybe it's downloading Windows 10 in the background? But I thought MS stopped "pushing" Windows 10 on Windows 7 users. He never got the GWX thingy, that I know of, even though he has a legit licenses retail upgrade copy of Win7.)

Would installing the servicing stack update from April 2016, fix the WU download issues maybe?

Anyone have any experience getting WU flowing again, on an aged installation, rather than a fresh install?

Edit: He's restarted the PC several times, according to what he told me.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I had issues like that with fresh installs a few months ago. I decided to start hitting the shutdown button when it offered to "install updates a shutdown." After a couple of those, Windows Update was back to normal.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, he switched to his "Backup PC" (an A6-5400K APU, 4GB of RAM, and a 90GB SSD), and says he's going to throw his main PC out a window (sarcasm).

I could go over there tomorrow and try to fix it for him, I suppose. Or maybe not, maybe he will buy a new PC, from me. :)

(Edit: I'm not being too devious, he's already complained about high CPU usage, and slowdowns, and whatever else he can see, when doing things on his PC. It's an Athlon II X4, which doesn't have good single-threaded performance / IPC compared to modern Intel CPUs. I suggested a new PC to him some time ago. It's just that recent frustrations with his current PC may push him to do that.)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Anyways, he's having trouble with Windows Update. Not exactly the same problem as I was having with recent new SP1-included media installs. It just sits there, and chews up one CPU core 100% (he has a quad-core). But it's not waiting for the list of updates, he gets those. It's the "download" phase, it sits at 0%, for hours.
Sounds like a BITS problem/corruption. Have him follow the OS-specific recommendation here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
A few days ago I installed W7 w/SP1 (integrated) 64-bit. No post-SP1 updates applied except for one that was integrated in the SP1 'media refresh' release. With updates check turned off, the Windows Update Agent 7.x installed quickly but the April 2015 Servicing Stack Update actually took a while to process; about 45 minutes (on a quad core with 8GB RAM). Not sure why. I'll try it again soon because I have another system to reinstall everything onto.
I think I found the problem. The April 2015 Servicing Stack Update might take a long time if you have active internet connection! I disabled the Ethernet adapter and it only took two minutes this time. So setting "never check for updates" in Windows Update might not be sufficient because a stand-alone update might check for them. In fact it even says "checking for updates" as it processes/extracts the update before it prompts if you want to continue installing it.

So I will amend the prior installation guidance/tips. Given all those are stand-alone patches anyway, assuming you have download a copy locally, no internet connection is required until after they are all installed. Disable the network adapter or disconnect from the internet until after all the patches are successfully applied

Last edited: