Fix for slow boot issue of ASUS X-99 Motherboards

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
One my biggest gripes about my Desktop CPU which has an ASUS X-99 Motherboard is that it takes about 15 to 20 seconds from the moment you press the power button until you see the initial ASUS Splash Screen, then it takes another 10 seconds for Windows to boot.

I tried the latest BIOS 1801 and the previous BIOS 1702 but no luck.

Then I researched online and this seems like a common problem with the X-99 Chipset platform as it requires to train the memory everytime it starts up.

Well, since I know I have stable settings for my 64 GB of RAM using an XMP Profile of 2400MHz. I disabled the RAM Training upon every restart and this has brought the cold boot time from 20 seconds down to 5-8 seconds! Now this system is finally useable! Before that it was just a nightmare I would try to avoid restarting or shutting down just to not be staring at a black screen for so long! By the time I would see the ASUS Splash Screen other computers would have already been logged into Windows and using programs.

To disable RAM Training upon every restart, go to your BIOS, then go to Ai Tweaker > DRAM Timings and set your options as per the below illustrations:

EiPBg8M.jpg

CRYHwhM.jpg

Reactions: tteravai

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Why do you have the ASUS SPLASH on, then you come here and post about its not fast enough?
also I have read a system image will greatly slow down boot time's(I haven't tried it so), you don't need the Asus splash before the bios. If you like it then make a desk top image of it.

bartgrefte

Sep 7, 2013
Thanks for the info :) , gotta try that. Right now booting W10 requires less time (even without fastboot enabled) than the BIOS needs to get to the splash screen and to start the W10-bootprocess...

"Then I researched online and this seems like a common problem with the X-99 Chipset platform as it requires to train the memory everytime it starts up."

But why is this happening in the first place, and with every single boot? Isn't doing it once or twice enough? Haven't found any details about that yet. I did ran Memtest for 10 passes (took almost 3 days), no problems there, so I don't seem to have defective RAM modules.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Berryracer could, in an unfriendly sorta way, have been called a whiner. He was ecstatic that a switch in BIOS at the time on that board reduced POST from 20 to five seconds which made his system "useable" and ended the" nightmare" that the 20 seconds had been when he "would try to avoid restarting or shutting down just to not be staring at a black screen for so long!"
PS
The switch in UEFI has been removed from the x99 board in my signature below. I wonder why ?
PSS
It still takes 25 seconds to beep from a cold start.

Last edited:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Don't use XMP always use manual mode or you risk sudden death of your CPU. RIP 5960X. :(

Good news is it was replaced with a new board and 6950X! :D

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, I'll have to check this out. Only 16 GB of RAM though, and my system already boots/posts pretty fast.