Fitness experts please critique my plan.

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
Diet:

Breakfast - Honey Nut Clusters with 1% Milk. (3 cups cereal, 1.5 cups milk)
Calories = 795
Sat. Fat = 3 grams.
Carbs. = 158 grams

Lunch - Tuna Sandwich (2 slices bread and 1 can lite tuna)
Calories = 200
Sat. Fat = 0 grams.
Carbs. = 24grams.

Snack - Campbells Soup (Chunky Soup)
(sometimes replaced with a deli-sliced chicken sandwich - similar stats I guess)
Calories = 480
Sat. Fat = 4 grams.
Carbs. = 46 grams.

Dinner ? No idea what I should eat.
Calories = anyone wanna
Sat. Fat = give me some
Carbs. = ideas? (chicken?)

(see dinner)
Total - Calories = 1,475 so far
Sat. Fat = 7 grams.
Carbs. = 228 grams. Too high?

Program

(sprints = 10-second intervals with 20-second rests (5-10 sets a day - 3-4 times a week) ? I bike 15-20 miles twice a week. (seperate from the HIIT.)

180 Lbs. ? 6 foot ? want to lose body fat. (below 15%, around 23% now I think)

All lifting is 3 sets of 6

Monday Chest: 1.) Flat bench
2.) Incline bench

Tuesday Shoulders: 1.) Standing shoulder press
2.) Standing press behind the head
3.) front/side raises

Wedensday Biceps: 1.) Standing bar curl
2.) Seated incline curls
3.) standing individual curl

Thursday Triceps: 1.) seated tricep extentions
2.) Lying tricep extentions
3.) sit-ups

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
What's with the breakfast?

p.s. I went from a similar BF to yours down to about 11 - 12% BF. PM if you're interested in how I did it.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
800 calories and 160g of carbs for breakfast?.....that's too much.

Also, you probably need to consider a full body weekly routine, instead of arms/shoulders/chest. Don't neglect the back and lower body.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That breakfast is not good.

Carbs are good for breakfast, yes, but you want to juice up huge on protein, since you'd not have had any taken in since you slept. Preferably this would be something like protein powder as opposed to meat, for quicker absorption.

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
So more protein for breakfast. I thought breakfast was supposed to be a huge meal.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
You have no back or leg work.

Do squats 'properly' and go all the way down and not a to parallel.

Do some bent forward rows and some supermans for your back.

The sprint intervals are good and will get you lean in no time.

The squats will also help you get a solid 6 pack also.

Normal 'sit ups' are crap. Do some some on an incline and then add weights later.

read at: www.geekfitness.com for ideas on stuff. I have written a bunch of stuff there.

Koing

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Koing

Normal 'sit ups' are crap. Do some some on an incline and then add weights later.

read at: www.geekfitness.com for ideas on stuff. I have written a bunch of stuff there.

Koing

wont biking work my legs? or at least my calfs?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Unless you want to lose the muscle that you have, you need to try to take in at least 0.75g of protein per pound of body weight (1g per pound is better).

On a diet, you never really want to have a "big" meal. Strive to eat something every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism up, and don't overdo it on any meal. Just guessing, but your largest meal should be no more than 500-600 calories.

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Unless you want to lose the muscle that you have, you need to try to take in at least 0.75g of protein per pound of body weight (1g per pound is better).

On a diet, you never really want to have a "big" meal. Strive to eat something every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism up, and don't overdo it on any meal. Just guessing, but your largest meal should be no more than 500-600 calories.

So should i start making protein shakes or just eat a ton of chicken? i would need around 180 grams of protein?

btw thanks for all the help guys.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Protein shakes and chicken are both good :) Spread protein evenly throughout the day.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you're planning to lose weight, milk of any type is not going to help. Lactose. 3 bowls is too much, like others have stated. Try to eat most of your carbs for breakfast, and after lifting weights, if you're going to, along with high protein (such as a Optimum Nutrition whey protein shake) after working out.

My diet is quite simple, though I've broken it a few times.

No soda
No desserts
Sugars only from fruits, which is 1/2 orange juice in the morning w/ a 1/2 a multivitamin, and 1/2 at night with another 1/2 multivitamin with dinner

Breakfast: Waffle, 1/4 scoop syrup (which is sugar, bad I suppose), topped with a ton of blueberries. 1/2 serving Orange Juice.

Lunch: Sliced, lean meat. Either roast beef, turkey, or chicken. A piece of fruit is fine. Only a few bites from the bread. A side w/ carbs if fine but only a few bites from that too. Water.

Early Dinner: Sliced, lean meat if possible. If you worked out just prior it's okay to have more carbs, it's actually necessary. Water or protein shake after workout.

Dinner (5 hours before you go to sleep, minimum): Same as above. Water.

Now for working out. Full cardio can either be full blown regular paced cardio jogging or on a bike for 40 minutes, or HIIT for about 10-15 minutes. I do my HIIT on the dorm stairs, nobody uses 'em, and I can just count the floors while building a HIIT pyramid. For lifting I lift either every other day or every 2 days. I usually give a 3-4 day break once and a while to let my body fully recoop.

I'm not pro but I've read some stuff and it seems to be working good. I drink Optimum Nutrition Whey 2 full scoops on a workout day, and two 1/2 scoops on a non-workout day.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Your breakfast is pretty bad. Carbs in the morning is best, but the carbs that come out of Honey Nut clusters=simple carbs, sugars, etc. Try oatmeal instead, or a high-fiber low-sugar cereal w/ unsweetened soy milk. Add berries for taste.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Also, replace whatever bread you are using with Sara Lee low-carb bread. Its 7 grams per slice, and tastes pretty darn good, and its not tiny like other low carb breads. That soup is also suspect. High in carbs (probably noodles and stuff), and high in sodium. Instead of that, i'd snack on fruits/veggies/nuts.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Pex
Originally posted by: Koing

Koing

wont biking work my legs? or at least my calfs?

It is leg work but it won't really *help* you out as much as squats or deadlifts will. Anything with too high a rep number or long drawn out conditionining (running a distance 1mile+, biking for a few miles, swimming laps) will not get you big. It will be *great* conditioning but won't help as much if you want to add mucle mass.

You will be lean but won't add as much size if you did not do Squats or Deadlifts.

Koing

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Hey also Pex what is your *goal* in your training?

Be lean? Be add more muscle mass? Have killer cardio?

This would greatly help.

Also how tall and how much do you weigh?

Koing

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
im 6 foot. weigh 180. i want to lose body fat. im around 23% now and want to get down to 15%. i guess after i lose the fat ill start to lift more heavily and add muscle mass but losing the fat is my num. 1 priority.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
im 6 foot. weigh 180. i want to lose body fat. im around 23% now and want to get down to 15%. i guess after i lose the fat ill start to lift more heavily and add muscle mass but losing the fat is my num. 1 priority.
If you want to lean out I would suggest you concentrate on Cardio more the resistance training. Once you achieved your goal then lighten up on the cardio and concentrate more on the resistance training i.e. lifting

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
If you want to lean out I would suggest you concentrate on Cardio more the resistance training. Once you achieved your goal then lighten up on the cardio and concentrate more on the resistance training i.e. lifting

thx for the advice.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Listen to these folks. I was going to tell you that your workout plan sucks, but it looks like they have it covered. If you're going to do strength training, you NEED to be complete.

One thing unbalanced strength training can do is cause some VERY bad injuries. The untrained muscles still have to counter the trained muscles. If the strength of the trained muscles becomes too much, the untrained muscled will suffer constant injuries.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000

thx for the advice.

Red Dawn is very correrct and funny :D

Fat loss is just stepping up the cardio and some weights but more focus on the cardio will get you their quicker. Once you are where you want to do then lift more and go easy on the cardio.

Just do a few weights at home and some body weight conditioning. You then save some $$$ and don't have to join a gym.

Just hit the bike solidly every day or every other day and clock up the miles. Clean your diet up and get rid of as much *junk food* as you can. I'm sure you know what the *junk* is. Then after a few months you will lean out and get to your goal.

BUT another approach is to have a good routine and lift 3x a week and just gain mass until you are happy with the size of yourself etc. THEN to cut down. The progress is good and you will find it easy to gain mass and such and you can cut later. Either way both approach's needs you to be consistent and willing to put the time in.

Some people find once they lean out they find it hard to get any size gains though and get bummed by not being able to put on mass...

Good luck.

Koing

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
2 points...
red dawn is very wrong. You should build muscle while you are dieting.
Adding muscle increases your metabolism which makes it easier to lose weight while staying healthy.
Also, Its better to start building your muscles in the months of weight loss prior to a full blown bulking phase.

Also, as previsouly stated, your breakfast sucks.
Try eating %100 natural oatmeal for breakfast while doing weight training.
Also eat yogurt if you don't already, its just a good thing to eat in general.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: amcdonald
2 points...
red dawn is very wrong. You should build muscle while you are dieting.
Adding muscle increases your metabolism which makes it easier to lose weight while staying healthy.
Also, Its better to start building your muscles in the months of weight loss prior to a full blown bulking phase.

Also, as previsouly stated, your breakfast sucks.
Try eating %100 natural oatmeal for breakfast while doing weight training.
Also eat yogurt if you don't already, its just a good thing to eat in general.
Actually I never said he should abandon his weight training, I just advised him to concentrate more on Cardio than resistence training. BTW, I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider myself a fitness expert. I was just offering ancedotal advice based on what work for me in the past.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
that workout program is ass. search this forum, or go to the many fitness websites out there to find something more balanced. you have no back or leg movements, and bi's and tri's do not each need their own day.