first travel cc

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
I travel or want to travel with my gf maybe once or twice a year and I am wondering if it is even worth it for my to apply to a trave CC. I currently only have a Citi Dividend Plat. Select and I've been wanting to add a second card. I'm not loyal to any airline, but something for a simple trip to las vegas, california, paris, you get the idea. Thanks for looking

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Personally I don't think it's worth it. Getting miles or points with an credit card usually means a lot of restrictions when you want to redeem for a ticket. The cash rebate you have now lets you use the money any way you want.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Unless you're flying a lot on one particular airline, it's not worth it.

Remember most frequent flier cc's have an annual fee of $50 - $100 per year.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Does your Citi card accumulate Thank You points? If not, apply for one or try to get it switched. The TY cards are one of the better rewards cards you can redeem for travel. IMHO though, you're better off going for a card you can redeem for cash because #1 if you aren't traveling you can always use cash for whatever you want #2 you can use the cash to buy a ticket if you want. Example: I went to Cancun last year, if I used points for the ticket it would have cost me $35K points and I would have to book through the cc company and have little input on what airline/time of flight. Instead I cashed in 35K points for $350, paid $40 out of pocket and got the flight on the day/time/airline I wanted and didn't have to deal w alot of hassle. The Chase Freedom card lets you pick cash or miles and you can swap back and forth. I've recommended it in many threads and you can apply online.