first time renting an apartment in NYC

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
In the hunt for an apartment in NYC, what do I need to know about apartment renting in general?

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
do you know where you want to live in NYC? are you from the NY area or moving from accross country?

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
Originally posted by: kalster
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: Deeko Its gonna be expensive.

Also where in NYC. Do you mean Manhatten or like any of the 5 boroughs?

Makes no difference which borough.. they are all expensive now. $1000 for a 1 bedroom in all 5 boroughs is the average, of course its higher in certain neighborhoods in manhattan. I don't really have any tips, but you can try to search for cheap rent stabilized apartments. My bro has a nice one bedroom in the bronx for only 600/month and my dad has one (1 bedroom) in the bronx as well for 500/month.

I suppose I could advise against manhattan since its more expensive and that there is PLENTY of public transportation to get you to any place in manhattan. Personally I wouldn't even live in manhattan due to the lack of park land (I live near the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens and a small golf course so my area is very "green"...y'know..lots of parks, grassy areas). Yea yea.. there's central park in manhattan, but go ahead and find a place near there.

Good luck!

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: raystorm

Makes no difference which borough.. they are all expensive now. $1000 for a 1 bedroom in all 5 boroughs is the average, of course its higher in certain neighborhoods in manhattan. I don't really have any tips, but you can try to search for cheap rent stabilized apartments. My bro has a nice one bedroom in the bronx for only 600/month and my dad has one (1 bedroom) in the bronx as well for 500/month.

I suppose I could advise against manhattan since its more expensive and that there is PLENTY of public transportation to get you to any place in manhattan. Personally I wouldn't even live in manhattan due to the lack of park land (I live near the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens and a small golf course so my area is very "green"...y'know..lots of parks, grassy areas). Yea yea.. there's central park in manhattan, but go ahead and find a place near there.

Good luck!

manhattan is by far more expensive than the other boroughs.. good luck fining any 1 bedroom in manhattan (apart from living in alphabet city, washington heights, or "low income" housing).

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Hector13

manhattan is by far more expensive than the other boroughs.. good luck fining any 1 bedroom in manhattan (apart from living in alphabet city, washington heights, or "low income" housing).

Absolutely, but just don't think its THAT much cheaper anywhere else. Then again... we don't know how much patrick409 makes a year.. maybe he's rich or something and will have no problem getting something nice in manhattan. I'm a doorman at a co-op... apartments go for around a mill... if ya got 1 million+ I can hook you up :D

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003

Good luck!

$1600 will get you a 250 square foot studio downtown.

That same $1600 will get you a relatively spacious 600 square feet on the upper east side.

And, by the way, $1000 is pretty cheap for a one bedroom in NY.

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
do you know where you want to live in NYC? are you from the NY area or moving from accross country?

sorry, i was vague in my original post. I'm graduating from NYU this semester, so I've been here for 4 years in the dorms. I'm looking for something in brooklyn not too far from manhattan, since i'll be workin in lower manhattan. I will have 2 roommates, so we're looking for a 3 bedroom. I cant afford to live by myself haha. We're lookin to spend 600-800 a month per person on rent.

So some questions:

1)Any recommendations for cheap furniture? cheap beds and couches anywhere? I've been looking and furniture is freakin expensive. Know of any places that sells used tables and stuff?

2)How much money do you need to start usually? E.g. what's the average down payment for an apartment?

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003

Absolutely, but just don't think its THAT much cheaper anywhere else. Then again... we don't know how much patrick409 makes a year.. maybe he's rich or something and will have no problem getting something nice in manhattan. I'm a doorman at a co-op... apartments go for around a mill... if ya got 1 million+ I can hook you up :D

lol, i hope to have a million $ by 2025, so can you hold one for me? :D

I wont be getting paid too much, but I'll have enough to live comfortably. :cool:

s4man

Mar 8, 2004
I live in Manhatten, right near NYU.....Union Square...probably one of the most pricey areas to live.

To help you out,
You said Brooklyn....so what you thinking Willamsburg? Its pretty reasonable but your looking at a loft most likely. 800 a person is def. obtainable. I mean you can go out farther and it will get cheaper. You can also move out to say Bed-Stuy :), and I am sure you can get a 3 bedroom for around 1000, so that would break down to 333.33 or so.
You will want to stay away from Park Slope, although its nice its stroller city now and $$$. Willamsburg is all 20's artists, cool people...and its the first couple stops on the L, after the water.

Cheap Furniture.....www.craigslist.org under New York Tab.....under Free tab. You cant beat that, also check the for sale listings...theres lot of stuff in there. Couches used are like 100 or so....beds the same....If you try any of the thrift stores get ready to be amazed, its cooler here to buy stuff from there so its crazy pricey, even more so than just buying new.

I have friends living in willamsburg, and its cool, but you really want to live in Manhattan. Believe me, next time your at a bar, and go home, remeber that once you home add your new 45 minute commute home. Remeber the L doesnt run every 6 mins like it does during rush hour.....that platform is not fun when slammed, and needing to pee.

Look around in less pricey areas of Manhattan....I used to have a EV spot, (8th and 1rst ave) and I paid 1000 a month for a large studio...although I was subleting from my good friend. YOu can get places in the East village 3 bedrooms for 900 or so each.....less but you'll have to look.

Heres the nitty on getting an apt. Try to stay away from agents. They take 15% of the yearly rent on a apt. So think about that, talking about 2k a month in rent x 12 months, 15% of that so figure around 2K on broker agent fee. Then you have your first month rent + security deposit and sometimes they want last month rent also. But you should argue your ass off and not pay the last months.

My friends who had a house in Brooklyn had to put up 10K security deposit, rent was 3400/ month and he wanted 1 month+ 2 months security.

All landlords are different but some want
1 rent+1 security
1 first month rent/last month+security
some 1 rent/2 month security deposit

It all depends on the person, All brokers take that 15% fee though. So your best eliminate the broker, and just find a place on www.craigslist.org under real estate, no fee.
There is tons listed as no fee, and then you call and its like pay 149 to go on the website and blah blah........dont pay its all a scam.

Also be careful b/c alot of times you get places that people have rented for 25 years that are rent controlled so they pay 600 amonth for the place and then charge you 1500 or whatever market value on the place is.

Also check out the village voice, although the apts in there go 10 mins after they are posted, same as craigslist......the good ones anyway.

A good rule of thumb for your money thing though is, you and your roomates will at least, the very least all need 1 month rent + 1 month security to rent a place each. So figure at the bare minimum 1600 each to get a place.

Just to put it all in perspective I pay 2400 a month for a 1 bedroom, in union square, (close to NYU dorms by the way---the palidium is near me just as a reference point) The worst part isnt the rent either, I love my place....its food shopping, I should buy stock in the food emporium, I must drop 160 a week shopping there...and I eat dinner out at least 3x a week. When moving into my place I put up 6500.00. I had to throw in some extra b/c my then g/f had a dog, so that pushed up the security deposit....I had to pay for a carpet for the apt, just incase the dog ruins it, seems to re-carpet my place costs 1500 bucks....although the pooch and the ex are gone so I will get that all back......whenever I move out.

In the end, I say, look high and low, but live in Manhattan....it really beats the hell out of brooklyn....the train ride home at nights would send me nuts. You wont save much money unless you really go out to like bayridge or something. If you have roomies, get a place in the East village, 800 a piece isnt unheard of......and you'll save time/money commuting.....at 3 am that freakin train ride will make the extra money seem like nothing.

To end I am only 24 years old, so my view may be jaded on somethings, but you should be close to me in age, considering your graduating......You will love this place....forget that commuting thing. Also start looking now for a place.......they are hard to find and get.

If you need any advice, just PM me, I have rented a bunch of places in NYC. I could hook you up right now with a place actually, but its a one bedroom...and you said you have roomies, plus it wont be available in 3-4 months.

Alright
Good luck

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Cool, I used to live in the Pelham Parkway area. Good memories...mostly. :)

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Most important question, will the building have a T1 line? =D
Good luck on your search though. Though I've lived there for a major portion of my life and have been in and out of the city for the rest, I still find it intimidating to look for a place there.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
live in manhattan!!!

my commute is a tad over a hour to union square or about a 40min drive (no way i drive into manhattan during the day though) bleh! but i live in further down in brooklyn

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: s4man
I live in Manhatten, right near NYU.....Union Square...probably one of the most pricey areas to live...
Lots of great advice there, I have to agree. Craigslist is your best friend, check out the no fee apts and arrange to see them as soon as you can. Williamsburg is cool, but the L sucks hard. DUMBO is another cool neighborhood in bklyn as well, but it's expensive and there isn't much to do there. But it is close to the A/C lines. DON'T LIVE IN ASTORIA (queens)! Everyone thinks it's cool for some reason, but I lived there for 6 months and it sucks.

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
Originally posted by: s4man
I live in Manhatten, right near NYU.....Union Square...probably one of the most pricey areas to live.

.. insert lots of good stuff here ..

Alright
Good luck

s4man, thanks for all the awesome info! I'll give your advice some thought.

On a side note, I actually live at the palladium. I never shop at the Food Emporium though, too expensive. If you walk up 3rd Ave to about 17th street, there's a supermaket called the Met. MUCH cheaper than Food Emporium.