First time overclocking 3570K, TZ77A board

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious. Would prefer not to have to install 212+ (non-evo) if I don't have to. User is not really a heavy overclocker. If I could get to 4.0Ghz on all four cores (multicore Turbo enhancement) on the stock cooler without throttling in Prime95 or OCCT 4.0 linpack, I would do it.

Is the 212+ hard to install, with only two hands?

Edit: When I installed a Tuniq Tower 120 on a Q6600 (that OCed to 3.6), I had to use scotch tape to tape the backplate on, to keep it aligned when attaching the other components. (Then I forgot to remove the tape before installing the mobo, gah.)

I wasn't really happy with the Tuniq mounting, because they used springs on the screws for tension, and it was never completely secured down, no matter how much you tightened the screws. The heatsink was always free to move a little bit, if you twisted it by hand.

Edit: Thankfully, the 212+ mounting was easier than the Tuniq. I got it installed no problem. Thanks though.

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Get a TX3 it installs like a stock heatsink and can handle up to 4.2 before temps start getting high

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can I just set all four Turbo mutipliers to 40, save and exit?

Do I need to worry about long / short power limits, or voltages for such a minor OC?

BIOS has "spec" voltage, "auto", "offset", and I think "fixed".

Edit: Client asked about overclocking when he came to pick up the computer. So I did just that, I set the four turbo multis all to 40, save and exit. Download and install OCCT 4.x, 64-bit Linpack with AVX, stayed locked at 4Ghz, temps didn't get higher than 65C.
Voltage was showing 1.15-1.19v.

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
For 4.0 GHz you could just leave vcore on auto, but it will likely supply a bit more than necessary. I use -0.045 offset myself.

No need to change anything else.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013

There's a good chance you don't need to do anything but change the all-core multiplier to get to 4 GHz.

If you want to play around, if you already have windows installed, Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility makes it pretty easy to test out basic OC settings (multiplier, turbo voltage) and stress test without having to reboot a million times.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011

Do I need to worry about long / short power limits, or voltages for such a minor OC?

BIOS has "spec" voltage, "auto", "offset", and I think "fixed".

Probably. Try it and keep an eye on the temps. The problem with keeping the stock cooler will be the noise.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
I posted it largely because it supported my original point, that it's likely one could simply crank the all-core multiplier to 40 and be done with it without having to mess with anything else.