First time Haswell oc

mojothehut

Feb 26, 2012
Hey all.
I'm just wondering if there are some decent 4770k oc guides out there? I just built my first intel rig in years and would like to get a modest oc of 4.2 or so.
Running on an asus hero VI along with a good Noctua cooler in a Corsair 750D case. So cooling should taken care of.

The bios on this asus board has some overclocking presets, tempted to just use that. But there's so much I don't know about overclocking Haswell. Probably should do some reading before hand :)

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Hey all.
I'm just wondering if there are some decent 4770k oc guides out there? I just built my first intel rig in years and would like to get a modest oc of 4.2 or so.
Running on an asus hero VI along with a good Noctua cooler in a Corsair 750D case. So cooling should taken care of.

The bios on this asus board has some overclocking presets, tempted to just use that. But there's so much I don't know about overclocking Haswell. Probably should do some reading before hand :)

I can tell you what I did as I was also in the same boat with Haswell. I set my vcore to 1.2 and started at 4.5Ghz and worked my way down in speed until I reached my thermal goal. I was not stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.2 with XMP enabled.

At this point, I started to decrease vcore until I was stable, which dropped thermals again. I found that I could roughly run 4.2 @ 1.11 with great thermals and little additional vcore then stock. This was accomplished with the memory in xmp mode as I've been told this will add some voltage to the overall O/C due to the memory controller.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I can tell you what I did as I was also in the same boat with Haswell. I set my vcore to 1.2 and started at 4.5Ghz and worked my way down in speed until I reached my thermal goal. I was not stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.2 with XMP enabled.

At this point, I started to decrease vcore until I was stable, which dropped thermals again. I found that I could roughly run 4.2 @ 1.11 with great thermals and little additional vcore then stock. This was accomplished with the memory in xmp mode as I've been told this will add some voltage to the overall O/C due to the memory controller.

That also would work. I'll tell what I did, though . . . with my Sandy CPU.

I used the AI overclock feature within the BIOS to get to 4.4Ghz. Obviously, this applied excess voltage to the core, but it gave me a baseline. I then took readings of the stock voltage (after resetting to default) as reported in the BIOS, and moved up the VCORE ladder. But that was Sandy -- this is Haswell. I'm guessing that the Z87 mobos have some of the same features as my Z68, though . . .