First thoughts on new 5870...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Curious, what were you expecting? Then we can tell you if something is wrong or not.

SgtSpoon

Dec 25, 2007
Isn't this one of those games that likes quads?

I've seen people repeat this over and over again, but where does this come from? Is there a benchmark that proves this? On my i3 530, the windows task manager draws one core at 95% and the other one at 50% + i never notice any hickups. So i really don't know what good a quad would do for this game

edit : Just to make a point, i took a screenshot. I waited until a moment where there was stuff going on (being shot at + building collapsing) to take the screenshot :

(so this is not a quad, its a dualcore with hyperthreading)
load.jpg

The op runs : E8400@3.6
I run my i3 530 at 3.66Ghz, so this should be comparable to his cpu (i3 should be faster clock by clock, but not by much)

Last edited:

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I've seen people repeat this over and over again, but where does this come from? Is there a benchmark that proves this? On my i3 530, the windows task manager draws one core at 95% and the other one at 50% + i never notice any hickups. So i really don't know what good a quad would do for this game

edit : Just to make a point, i took a screenshot. I waited until a moment where there was stuff going on (being shot at + building collapsing) to take the screenshot :

(so this is not a quad, its a dualcore with hyperthreading)
load.jpg

The op runs : E8400@3.6
I run my i3 530 at 3.66Ghz, so this should be comparable to his cpu (i3 should be faster clock by clock, but not by much)

That shows all 4 threads at high utilization, you just helped prove that this game is quad capable and benefits from it >.>

If you're not convinced, see how much slower it runs with HT off

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
Well not to turn this into a full blown CPU thread... but how does this dual core/4 thread thing work? In gaming is it just as good as having a quad core for games that utilize more than 2 cores? I am trying to figure out if I should just keep my e8400, upgrade to a s775 quad, or go core i5 (maybe even the new AMD 6 core chip even).

SgtSpoon

Dec 25, 2007
That shows all 4 threads at high utilization, you just helped prove that this game is quad capable and benefits from it >.>

thread <> core

I think you are over-estimating HT.

Well not to turn this into a full blown CPU thread...

Yes, we are derailing this thread i'm afraid (my bad ...)

but how does this dual core/4 thread thing work? In gaming is it just as good as having a quad core for games that utilize more than 2 cores? I am trying to figure out if I should just keep my e8400, upgrade to a s775 quad, or go core i5 (maybe even the new AMD 6 core chip even)

I never really understood why microsoft chose to visualise hyperthreading as extra cores. I know what they were thinking, but in the end its only confusing. I'm not an expert either, but i think it is safe to say that you can simply ignore hyperthreading, because the effect is minimal (my opinion is based on old reviews, so maybe i'm wrong)

A game does not "use cores". A game uses threads. Lets say a game uses a constant number of threads (one for rendering, one for physics, one for sound, ...). Take 8 threads for example. Your OS will have to manage those 8 threads over 2 cores (the threads will fight for execution time on the cores). On a quadcore this will, of course, be more efficient. (Hyperthreading makes it possible for the cpu to execute 2 operations of 2 different threads in one instruction, if i'm not mistaking)

So what i was trying to say in my previous post : those 67&#37; cpu usage means a dualcore is sitting on its ass for 30% of the time, so i'm assuming those 2 cores are more than plenty to handle all threads.

Last edited:

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
thread <> core

I never really understood why microsoft chose to visualise hyperthreading as extra cores. I know what they were thinking, but in the end its only confusing. I'm not an expert either, but i think it is safe to say that you can simply ignore hyperthreading, because the effect is minimal (my opinion is based on old reviews, so maybe i'm wrong)

A game does not "use cores". A game uses threads. Lets say a game uses a constant number of threads (one for rendering, one for physics, one for sound, ...). Take 8 threads for example. Your OS will have to manage those 8 threads over 2 cores (the threads will fight for execution time on the cores). On a quadcore this will, of course, be more efficient. (Hyperthreading makes it possible for the cpu to execute 2 operations of 2 different threads in one instruction, if i'm not mistaking)

So what i was trying to say in my previous post : those 67% cpu usage means a dualcore is sitting on its ass for 30% of the time, so i'm assuming those 2 cores are more than plenty to handle all threads.

So if I have digested this properly... it would be just as good, if not better to have a newer dual core(say the i5 680) with a high clock speed with 4 thread capability as opposed to my E8400 with only 2 thread capability, and even an i5 750 with a lower clock speed, if the primary usage is gaming and internet...?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Yikes... your quasi-attempt at sarcastic humor?

Hahah. Dude, you're looking for better framerates, but you've compared a 280 and 5870 on a 3.6g e8400. There won't be a difference at bobo homeless person settings, that's why everyone is telling you to max out everything (HBAO, 16xAF, Maximum image quality, SSAA). Then you can see the game at ~60 fps on the 280 & the 5870 (limited by the cpu) but with 10x more realism & depth from the increased image quality.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
thread <> core

Not at all. Its showing that BC2 can stress at least 4 threads simultaneously at >50% utilization. Clearly it would benefit from a quad

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
So if I have digested this properly... it would be just as good, if not better to have a newer dual core(say the i5 680) with a high clock speed with 4 thread capability as opposed to my E8400 with only 2 thread capability, and even an i5 750 with a lower clock speed, if the primary usage is gaming and internet...?

Yes and no. For gaming and internet a fast dual core can get you there most of the time but we are starting to see more and more quad utilization.

i3/i5 is definitely better than a E8400 though for gaming or internet.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Don't know the difference between 10.3a and b, but shouldn't people be using WHQL 10.3 now?

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010

Yes and no. For gaming and internet a fast dual core can get you there most of the time but we are starting to see more and more quad utilization.

i3/i5 is definitely better than a E8400 though for gaming or internet.

Just to make a note here, if you're going to pay for an i5 get the 750 with four physical cores. Otherwise a Core i3 will over clock just fine at a better price.

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
BF-BC2 was using all 4 cores on a i7-920, in this test techspot, but the utilization was only around 33&#37;.

When they switched to only 2 cores (i7-920, HT-off), the core utilization went up, but neither core was maxed out. A dual core at 3.0Ghz is enough for the game.

Last edited: