First Server Build - Advice please!

MaxTorque

Jan 18, 2014
I have been reading through some threads on this site with great interest as I am looking to build a server to run Windows Server 2012 R2.

Having built my previous home PC, I have been looking forward to attempting a server build. During my research what I have found is a huge difference in the available (lack of) information for server builds as opposed to consumer PC building. Motherboard/CPU configurations and whether Windows Server 2012 R2 supports the various manufactures products is a case in point.

I was drawn to this thread http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2326402 because after a lot of research the Supermicro X10 series boards seem to be a good choice and I was trying to find answers to some questions. I will post this on a new thread, however if there is someone who can help with the following questions I would appreciate it:

Does the X10 series motherboard with the C226 chipset require a discrete GPU card?

I am considering the Xeon E3 1245 V3 processor - if I go with that one will it handle the graphics on its own? With C222, C224 chipsets?

Does it matter if I use a server board or a workstation board with Windows Server 2012 R2?

Having trialled Windows Server 2012 R2 on my desktop PC (ASUS P7P67Pro motherboard) I discovered a problem with the onboard NIC not working properly due to an incompatible driver. After some research it would appear ASUS do not support installing server software on consumer motherboard systems. I did get it working after a tweak of the driver code but I do not want to have the same problems with my new build.

My question here is - is this just this particular motherboard or is it normal for server software to conflict with all consumer motherboards?

Thanks in advance for any answers

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 in consumer hardware without problem. I think that any piece of hardware that has drivers for windows 8 is going to run fine.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Windows 8.1 and 2012R2 are identical as such. Same drivers etc. And they both install on the same hardware. Only difference is 8.1 also can be found in 32bit edition.

In your case with the NIC issue. Simply go to the vendor and download their driver. Be it Intel, Realtek, Broadcom or whatever.

E3 1245v3 got integrated graphics. Just make sure the motherboard got graphics output.