First pics of the Baby Bronco

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yup, big cash cow. Although they're starting to get caught up on the 2021 orders. They have a fixed hard-top now & are getting more chips in to get the existing Broncos off dirt mountain. If you order a 4-cylinder soft-top, you can probably get it in 2022. There are people who have placed orders in the last few months who are getting them delivered right now, which is ticking off a lot of people who put in orders a year ago, but that's just what's available for production right now, so it is what it is - the cost of being an early adopter!

I have the same thing happen to me a few years ago with VR...I put in a pre-order 6 months ahead for the Oculus Rift. They botched things & suddenly inventory became available on Amazon, Best Buy, etc. immediately, while I got an email that my order was pushed out another month. Cancelled it & was so mad that I bought a Vive instead, which ended up being a better choice & is still working to this day!

I'm curious to see if Musk can really get the Cybertruck production train started by 2023. I'd imagine there will be some cross-shopping between the $39k base Cybertruck & the $29k to $58k+ Broncos, as they're both fairly unique vehicles within the truck market!

The major downfall of the base Cybertruck is its RWD -- I don't think many people will be cross shopping RWD pickups with Broncos, but I could be wrong.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The major downfall of the base Cybertruck is its RWD -- I don't think many people will be cross shopping RWD pickups with Broncos, but I could be wrong.

The major downfall of the Cybertruck is that it is currently vaporware.
It was announced 2 years ago and Musk said volume production won't occur until late 2023, 2 years out.

By the time they will be available to Cross shop with Bronco's, the Bronco will be about to be refreshed already.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
It was announced 2 years ago and Musk said volume production won't occur until late 2023, 2 years out.

By the time they will be available to Cross shop with Bronco's, the Bronco will be about to be refreshed already.

and Rivian will be producing in stride and ready for V2, the f150 lighting will be on lots, etc. I think the Rivian and the mach-e are the most compelling option for us right now, we want full electric and AWD because of living in the foothills of the Rockies. wont be ready for another vehicle for a year or 2.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
and Rivian will be producing in stride and ready for V2, the f150 lighting will be on lots, etc. I think the Rivian and the mach-e are the most compelling option for us right now, we want full electric and AWD because of living in the foothills of the Rockies. wont be ready for another vehicle for a year or 2.

The Rivian is such a cool design! Reviews are really good so far too! Personally I think it's also the best-looking out of all of the new EV truck designs as well.

imo the Mach-E is the best electric vehicle out there. It's like Car 2.0 (an enhanced version of a nice modern ICE vehicle) instead of an EV-first vehicle. After diving into learning about it, I also think the F-150 Lightning is a super-genius design; I'm really curious about how Tesla is going to compete with the Cybertruck, because the electric F-150 has soooooo many cool features in it! Although my pre-order is still in for the Cybertruck, and for me, it's a "lifestyle" truck, not an off-road vehicle or a construction-work truck, just kind of a commuter & Home Depot-tipper. A big reason I'm interested in it is for that 500+ mile battery! It boggles my mind that Ford would even release a base version with a 230-mile battery, but maybe that would be good for city dwellers or farm use or something.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Dang, SEMA has some nice builds! Really liking bronze wheels on the four-door Bronco:

1636070052191.png

1636070202219.png

1636070478424.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Test-drove:

* 4-door 4-cylinder automatic
* 4-door 4-cylinder manual

Notes:

* I hate to say it, but the automatic was great & the manual was VERY boring
* The 4-cylinder auto doesn't have that initial one-second-ish lag that the 6-cylinder does. I don't think it's turbo lag on the 6 either, I think Pedal Commander could probably fix that.
* VERY impressed with the 4-cylinder in the bigger 4-door. Very solid engine!
* The manual on the 4-door 4-cylinder is...fine. Uninspiring. It's just "a car". I would like to test-drive the 4-cylinder manual on the 2-door, hopefully that would be a different experience! No one has them available yet to test-drive tho.
* They are also offering the 4-cylinder stick on the Sasquatch now (factory lift + 35" tires).

* The 33" tires are actually really nice. Didn't like the 32". The 35" are pretty cushiony. 33's would be great for a daily driver.
* Dealers are getting probably one Bronco Raptor allocation & it sounds like most of them will be selling them for $30 to $40k over. Oh well.
* Desert Racer naturally-aspirated V8 is not street legal but has the V-8 in it. Waaaah.
* Would also like to test-drive the V6 2-door. That thing would probably be crazy as the 4-cylinder is already pretty dang quick on it!

I've really fallen in love with the Bronco tbh. Love how the interior feels (tanky!). A bit boring on the outside, but more impressive in-person & really fun on the inside. Trunk storage is surprisingly small & back seats are kinda on the smallish side. The tires really change the overall look of it...35's with the lift is really macho haha.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My 2019 F150 is in the shop so they can chase a water leak. The dealership loaned me a new Bronco "Outer Banks" edition soft top while they have my truck.

It's not bad...drives fine. Quite a bit smaller inside and out than I'm used to, but otherwise comfortable enough. The door opening is short enough that I have to duck to get in, but once I'm in, plenty of head and leg room. The back seat looks pretty cramped though. Might be fine for kids, but adults might not like it.
I don't think I'd want this soft top model. Looks to be a PITA to remove and store. No apparent inside moisture through the top however...nothing like convertible tops of old that dripped on you.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

If even a third of those 1.25 million Cybertruck pre-orders are real (and I doubt it), you won't be able to get a hold of one until late 2025 if you ordered one now.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My 2019 F150 is in the shop so they can chase a water leak. The dealership loaned me a new Bronco "Outer Banks" edition soft top while they have my truck.

It's not bad...drives fine. Quite a bit smaller inside and out than I'm used to, but otherwise comfortable enough. The door opening is short enough that I have to duck to get in, but once I'm in, plenty of head and leg room. The back seat looks pretty cramped though. Might be fine for kids, but adults might not like it.
I don't think I'd want this soft top model. Looks to be a PITA to remove and store. No apparent inside moisture through the top however...nothing like convertible tops of old that dripped on you.

Both the back seat & the trunk are oddly small based solely on how big the vehicle looks in person. I fit in the back as a 6' adult male, but I definitely wouldn't want to be there for a long car ride lol.

The soft-top folds back easily. It is removable, although like the hard-top, it requires some work to completely pull off the vehicle fully. No leaks & is good in the winter, insulation-wise. The modern soft tops are a LOT better than in the past!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
...and, I can't afford it. Rats.

What's crazy is that's what available Broncos are already going for! My local dealership has a first edition for nearly $100,000 on the lot lol.

The engine choice is interesting. I mean, the standard 2.7L V6 is already pretty awesome (have test-driven it several times), and even the 4-cylinder is no slouch! But I am kind of bummed that they didn't take the Bronco Desert Racer path with the 400hp Coyote 5L V8 engine. So really, the Raptor is basically an engine upgrade with some big 37" tires, plus a few extra goodies (nicer seats, pillars, etc.). Makes me wonder how hard an engine swap would be on like the 2.3L model!

Those side fender flares are something else tho lol

1643038678094.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ugh... it had to be DeMuro. How does he beat every other YouTuber in putting out pre-release reviews?

tbh I really love his videos, he's like having that friend who really geeks about about something & shows you all of the stuff you're going to run into & actually care about in a vehicle haha

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Test-drove:

* 4-door 4-cylinder automatic
* 4-door 4-cylinder manual

Notes:

* I hate to say it, but the automatic was great & the manual was VERY boring
* The 4-cylinder auto doesn't have that initial one-second-ish lag that the 6-cylinder does. I don't think it's turbo lag on the 6 either, I think Pedal Commander could probably fix that.
* VERY impressed with the 4-cylinder in the bigger 4-door. Very solid engine!
* The manual on the 4-door 4-cylinder is...fine. Uninspiring. It's just "a car". I would like to test-drive the 4-cylinder manual on the 2-door, hopefully that would be a different experience! No one has them available yet to test-drive tho.
* They are also offering the 4-cylinder stick on the Sasquatch now (factory lift + 35" tires).

* The 33" tires are actually really nice. Didn't like the 32". The 35" are pretty cushiony. 33's would be great for a daily driver.
* Dealers are getting probably one Bronco Raptor allocation & it sounds like most of them will be selling them for $30 to $40k over. Oh well.
* Desert Racer naturally-aspirated V8 is not street legal but has the V-8 in it. Waaaah.
* Would also like to test-drive the V6 2-door. That thing would probably be crazy as the 4-cylinder is already pretty dang quick on it!

I've really fallen in love with the Bronco tbh. Love how the interior feels (tanky!). A bit boring on the outside, but more impressive in-person & really fun on the inside. Trunk storage is surprisingly small & back seats are kinda on the smallish side. The tires really change the overall look of it...35's with the lift is really macho haha.

I drove a new Bronco off-road recently and it was really really good at that... phenomenal actually. On road driving not so much. The problem with the Bronco is it is a little noisy (wind and road) and especially in strong winds it is all over the road. Also, the soft top doesn't seal well so wind just opens it up when you get a gust from the side and I hate the saggy rear window, I hate plastic windows in general so that is a no-go for me. The hard top has glass but I have heard that the top creaks and rattles on many of these so that is also a show stopper for me. If Ford made one with a roof that wasn't removable I think it would be a much better on the road vehicle but still be just as capable off road. They won't do that though. I actually cancelled my reservation for one after spending a weekend with it. I wanted to like it but I just don't think it would make a good daily driver. By the way, average fuel economy from the 2.3l 4 cylinder automatic was 16mpg real world average. I suspect the 2.7l V6 would be similar. I thought the 2.3l engine was reasonably powerful, certainly not overly powerful but adequate.

It had the sasquatch package.

20220318_184751(1).jpg

Reactions: Kaido

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I drove a new Bronco off-road recently and it was really really good at that... phenomenal actually. On road driving not so much. The problem with the Bronco is it is a little noisy (wind and road) and especially in strong winds it is all over the road. Also, the soft top doesn't seal well so wind just opens it up when you get a gust from the side and I hate the saggy rear window, I hate plastic windows in general so that is a no-go for me. The hard top has glass but I have heard that the top creaks and rattles on many of these so that is also a show stopper for me. If Ford made one with a roof that wasn't removable I think it would be a much better on the road vehicle but still be just as capable off road. They won't do that though. I actually cancelled my reservation for one after spending a weekend with it. I wanted to like it but I just don't think it would make a good daily driver. By the way, average fuel economy from the 2.3l 4 cylinder automatic was 16mpg real world average. I suspect the 2.7l V6 would be similar. I thought the 2.3l engine was reasonably powerful, certainly not overly powerful but adequate.

my full size 6500 lb truck gets that or better real world mileage with a V8, and it will tow 10k lbs....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
my full size 6500 lb truck gets that or better real world mileage with a V8, and it will tow 10k lbs....

Well, I was driving through very hilly areas with long steep climbs and some stop and go driving plus about 25-30 miles off-road and it was loaded down with my camping gear too. Average was 16.5 or so. I don’t think those large 35” off-road tires help either.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Yep. My 2019 F150 Lariat gets ~20 mpg with the 3.5 ecoboost...and is rated to pull 12,900 lbs. (yeah, right...) I've gotten 22 mpg running empty, on long flat highways, cruise control set to the posted limit + 2-3, but MOST of my driving, 18-20 mpg.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yep. My 2019 F150 Lariat gets ~20 mpg with the 3.5 ecoboost...and is rated to pull 12,900 lbs. (yeah, right...) I've gotten 22 mpg running empty, on long flat highways, cruise control set to the posted limit + 2-3, but MOST of my driving, 18-20 mpg.

Dang, I get 24 MPG on my Ecoboost Mustang 4-cylinder, that's amazing!!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

View attachment 59996

They did a really terrible job with the plastic windows lol. The whole soft top & hard top thing is a fiasco. Noise issues, latching issues, etc. Although I had a convertible truck growing up (soft-top beach-goer) & it was pretty noisy, so I'm used to the noise aspect. Bestop has an aftermarket soft-top (fastback with the angle on the back) & the windows aren't rippled at all! The joys of the first-gen release of the product from Ford haha.

On the flip side, I really like it & think it's a super fun design! Can't get them anywhere tho, and used ones are selling for $60 to $100k lol, plus you can't even order them online anymore due to all of the shortages. Guess I'll wait for the Cybertruck!!
1651236392667.png

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I thought I posted this yesterday....I DID, but in the wrong thread.

While it's not a massive wide-spread problem, it's still serious enough that Ford will (I believe) br issuing a recall to fix the problem...once they figure out exactly what's causing the engine failures.