First pics and Preview: 2004 Jaguar XJ

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Nope, not very much to my liking. :(

I'd like one of those LCD/DVD things, though. :D

Feb 10, 2000
I don't think it is a bad thing to look like a larger X-type, which I think is a gorgeous car (even if I would never buy one over a 3-series or A4/S4). The XJ has long been one of the most beautiful cars in the world, and I think the new design is perfectly respectable.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: NFS4
Bleh, looks like an upsized X-Type:disgust:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5276

I'll take an A8 please :D

did you even read the article? or did you just look at the pictures and let your anti-ford bias determine the rest of your post. it looks nothing like an x-type (beyond standard jaguar cues), it looks a lot like the previous xj.

Why do you need to READ the article to tell what a vehicle looks like in pictures. That makes NO sense whatsoever, or maybe you can enlighten me on that?? :D

X-Type:

Pics of the X-Type

The XJ looks like a 120% copy

And who said I was anti-Ford?? I didn't get that memo:Q

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

did you even read the article? or did you just look at the pictures and let your anti-ford bias determine the rest of your post. it looks nothing like an x-type (beyond standard jaguar cues), it looks a lot like the previous xj.

Why do you need to READ the article to tell what a vehicle looks like in pictures. That makes NO sense whatsoever, or maybe you can enlighten me on that?? :D

X-Type:

Pics of the X-Type

dude, when was the last time you looked at a ford and thought, "hmm... thats compelling"

the X-type is far more rounded. it looks like a contour with jaguar treatments, rather than a jaguar. this XJ looks a ton like the previous one, which has about 0 ford to it.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

X-Type:

Pics of the X-Type

dude, when was the last time you looked at a ford and thought, "hmm... thats compelling"

the X-type is far more rounded. it looks like a contour with jaguar treatments, rather than a jaguar. this XJ looks a ton like the previous one, which has about 0 ford to it.

Everytime I look at a Focus (I REALLY like the design of it), Escape, and Aviator. Wait a sec, why should I have to explain myself anyway?
rolleye.gif

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Everytime I look at a Focus (I REALLY like the design of it), Escape, and Aviator. Wait a sec, why should I have to explain myself anyway?
rolleye.gif
hmmm... really, aviator? wouldn't expect that based on explorer commentary. :p

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

I don't get it - EVERY Audi looks like the next one, yet you sweat it like crazy - while you knock Jag for using the same cues throughout its entire lineup :confused:

An A8 looks like a bigger A6,the A6 looks like a bigger A4, and the TT looks like all of them smashed together...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: geno

I don't get it - EVERY Audi looks like the next one, yet you sweat it like crazy - while you knock Jag for using the same cues throughout its entire lineup :confused:

An A8 looks like a bigger A6,the A6 looks like a bigger A4, and the TT looks like all of them smashed together...

The latest '04 A8 looks nothing like the rest of the lineup. It's ushering in a new design theme. The A4 does look like a mini A6 from certain angles. While I think that downsizing works somewhat like going from an A6 ---> A4, upsizing gives the larger vehicle the rep of looking like just a larger version of it cheaper siblings.

i.e., the C-Class looks like an exact clone of the S-Class on a smaller scale...however, the S-Class came out first so the C-Class is not looked down on as much b/c it's borrowing from a "higher" model. Now if the current C-Class had came out first, and their flagship coming out second looking like a copy of a $40,000 vehicle, then heads would roll...see my point?:confused:
rolleye.gif
:eek:

It's sort of how many people like the design of the Aviator b/c it looks like a mini Navigator. Besides, I'm beginning to SERIOUSLY tire of the whole quad-headlamp design phase.

Anyway, here's another article:

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=05461992