First PC Build, ANYTHING Helps

PC Help

Nov 26, 2017
Hello, today I am asking for any type of help regarding this PC build.
PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rHwf6X
Please, just try and see if there are any issues, if the fans fit, if everything is compatible and fits in the case, and if there are any ways for me to cut down on costs. I know the power supply is overkill, but I wanted to get an 80+ Gold that well exceeded my needs, mainly for safety reasons. I am new at this and am just hoping that anybody can find something wrong with my build or if I should change some things up.

I did a little bit of research and it seems that it will be hard to get the SATA cables from the SSD to the power supply because of the case, but I think I can manage.

Thanks, anything helps, and if you do make a contribution to this thread and help me, God bless you for taking the time to help a noob out.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't see anything obviously wrong with the build, but I was going to ask you about your choice of monitor and speakers. Did you put any thought into them, or just pick out the cheapest Asus 1080P monitor and cheapest Logitech speaker set? If this is your first PC, then those are probably fine choices, if you can stand them, but these days, there are high refresh-rate and variable-refresh-rate monitors available, specifically for gaming.

I didn't drill down on the monitor, but have you considered those factors? I presume this build is for gaming?

Reactions: PC Help

PC Help

Nov 26, 2017
@VirtualLarry (Thanks For Responding) The build is for both gaming and work. I will be able to upgrade the speakers, those are just for a start, and I have tried out this monitor and enjoy it. I really don't see a need for 1440p at this stage, and this build is already killing my budget. If I wanted to I could go down to a 3gb GPU and upgrade the monitor, but I think that it would cancel out...

Last edited:

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
You need a Z270 board to overclock the cpu, b250 won't overclock. A Z270 board which you need for that cpu costs 100$+. I'd rather get a i5 8400 since it costs the same as the 7600k, and has 2 more cores. It wont overclock but it's a very good cpu. You'll still need a Z level board though since they're the only chipset(Z370) out that supports coffee lake cpus still.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This sees to be a very good discount on a high end z370 board, 100$ after rebate.

So you need to get some savings other places to make up for the extra cost of the motherboard perhaps?

Get a different PSU like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bk...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

550W is still overkill for that build by a very good margin, and it's a seasonic quality unit with 10 years warranty.

The i5 8400 includes a cpu cooler so you can nix that from your shopping list along with the new cpu paste. If you still decide to get the cooler for good measure or whatever, it does include some extra thermal paste too, so you REALLY don't need that arctic silver stuff. :)

I would probably try to get 140mm fans instead of 120mm ones, but i havent checked prices or anything. The fans you chose seem to be decent quality corsair ones so they're not a problem per se.
I assume you're planning to use them as intake fans in the front of the case? I'm not very familiar with the case you chose personally, but I know the s340 is very popular. From the pictures I don't see a lot of room for front intake airflow though. I don't really think it will be an issue anyway since you have a pretty relaxed build in terms of heat output, but you could consider switching to a different case for even better airflow which would honestly not be necessary unless you have very high ambient temps, or to try and cut a few dollars off the cost.

Some cases I personally like are the Fractal Design Define S and Fractal Design Meshify C.

Overall the build looks really good, the only big issues are the lack of a Z270 board for an unlocked CPU, and honestly the choice of a quad core when a very good 6core is available for the same price. I would seriously consider the i5 8400.

Good luck on the build :)

Reactions: PC Help

PC Help

Nov 26, 2017
Different builds. Holy toxicity, who even cares? I am not trying to post farm, I'm gonna quit this anyway. No need to get defensive, I am not gonna post farm to 14k posts and shrek you. Ok, thanks.

Anandtech users and moderators care.
It keeps the people who help you for free
from responding unknowingly to multiple open threads
causing confusion and overlap.

Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator: