Apr 6, 2009
Hey guys

My rig has the follwoing specs
Q6600 G0 3.125VID
Xigmatek S1283
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R
4GB (2x2gb) Corsair XMS2 800mhz
BFG GTX260

I tried my first OC today by leaving everything in the Bios on Auto apart from changing the following -
Multiplier 8 > 9
FSB was already at 300 for some reason
RAM timings > 5 5 5 18
RAM voltage > 1.9

Changed my ram timings to the spec from corsair and left everything else on auto.
All power saving features are off and Load Line Calibration is on.

It booted up at 2.7ghz fine and I done a 15 min OCCT linpack test and it passed, temps were around 52C max.

If I leave these settings and change the FSB to 333 for 3ghz, do you guys think the temps will be good and will I need to change RAM ratio to 1:1 for better performance?

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
The only way you can find out if temps are good with the cpu at 3GHz is to just try it out. ^_^

Worst that could happen is a fried cpu. j/k, well kind of. There's always risk in OCing, but usually the motherboard prevents the cpu from frying if your OC settings aren't stable.

and changing ram ratio would mean downclocking your ram from 800MHz ddr to 666MHz ddr. I actually don't know if there's significant performance differences from leaving the ram at 800MHz ddr or matching it to the fsb @ 666MHz (dual channel mode, in a sense, doubles that to 1333MHz).

The one difference would be different timings you could use, like maybe 4-4-4-12 at 666MHz instead of 5-5-5-18 at 800MHz. That's a 6ns latency with CAS4 @ 666MHz compared to 6.25 ns latency with CAS5 @ 800MHz. Ideally, 4-4-4-15 (or something like that) at 800MHz would be better (5ns latency). All theoretically anyways. The real world impact? Probably not that significant or noticeable.

I tried some experiments on ram freq., such as having a matched fsb:ram setting and having the ram set at a higher freq. than the fsb. In terms of memory bandwidth, I don't remember seeing a significant difference if the ram was set faster than the fsb. and vice versa. Unfortunately, I don't have any data recorded to support what i just said. >_>

nekromantik

Apr 6, 2009
ok
i now am at 3ghz with everythin on normal volts apart from vcore @ 1.331.
passed an hour of prime small ftfs. Will try overnight prime to see if its stable.
max temps were 50c at load during Prime.