First look at Old Republic gameplay footage!

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
http://www.swtor.com/media/vid...doc001?sourceid=ea2830

It's mostly developer interviews, but there are a fair number of screen caps and some video. Towards the end they hint at new concepts that they can't introduce just yet.

"We're taking normal MMO princples and adding story and character development"

I was skeptical at first, but I'm really looking forward to this. Blizzard owns the fantasy MMO market, and I think Bioware will own the scifi MMO market with this game.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Still thinks making it an MMO is a step in the wrong direction :thumbsdown:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
What an abortion of a fantastic franchise, I do not want to be with 10 people talking rubbish using the same animations to 'whack' the feet of some dude who is a 'boss'. That is not why Kotor was game of the year. Why fix what isn't broken?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx

Hey, I would have really preferred another great singleplayer adventure, but can't we at least give this a chance? Bitching and moaning doesn't change the fact that the game is being made and that the developers seem to be very excited about it.

There are NO details yet, so rampant speculation like "wow in space" is pretty lame.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: GaryJohnson
MMO for better or worse, at least we know it can't be as bad as SW:G (right?)

Since it's Bioware, it will at least have some minimum quality level, and we already know that that's higher than SW:G

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Hey, I would have really preferred another great singleplayer adventure, but can't we at least give this a chance? Bitching and moaning doesn't change the fact that the game is being made and that the developers seem to be very excited about it.

There are NO details yet, so rampant speculation like "wow in space" is pretty lame.

With me, I won't get stuck on any MMO. I don't feel like having my life taken away. I love booze and vageen too much.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Given the track histories of MMO's you can't blame me if the idea seems a little grim. It's going to be hard for them to achieve the feeling a single player story does because of all the younger gamers running around your world destroying the whole illusion of a the old republic. While Bioware can try their damnedest to create a viable storyline for the game, it'll be situations like that that will ultimately push it too far from the feelings of the previous games (and that's given everything else is spot on.)

That being said, there's going to be more than likely padded quests (i.e fedex quests and kill x amount of creatures) as it is a staple in any MMO. No matter how most companies word their MMO's, all their fancy new features (methods of storytelling and etc) FEEL the more or less the same after you start playing it.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
A thought: NWN was, by bioware and others, at times referred to as an MMO. Multiplayer and Online it was, but massively multiplayer... not so much.

The commentary from the people in this video mentions this is Bioware's 'first' MMO, which seems to mean it's not going to be an MMO in the sense that NWN may or may not have been an MMO.

But, the "gameplay" video seems to only show single or small groups of player characters on screen at once; None of the great hordes of PCs that you tend to see in typical MMOs. And it mentions companions, which is not something you would see in a typical MMO either (they don't want your running around with your own do-everything mini-player-party, they want you to group). And how exactly are companion 'stories' going to work if you have hundreads of people running around the same world with the same pre-scripted identical companion.

So I think at a minimum the "MMO" part of ToR might just be KotOR III with co-op/PVP online play and world building tools like NWN1/2 (which would be awesome I think). Or there maybe some sort of instanced online play with only characters at the same part of the "story" in the same game world with diabloII-esque server characters.