first handgun purchase

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I'm looking to buy a compact 9mm. Does anyone own this Taurus?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327603412.html

I've heard that the PT111 is hit or miss.

The early millennium (all of series 1 and some of series 2) were very bad. The 3rd series has it all worked out finally though, and I haven't heard of any problems with them. Unfortunately the screw ups on the first two versions gave the millennium series a bad name. I own the .40 version (PT140) and a friend has the .45 (PT145). It's the best concealable handgun I've ever owned or fired. Accurate, comfortable, smooth...I can't say enough good about them. It's what I carry daily.

How easy is it to do a field strip on them?

May 16, 2000

The early millennium (all of series 1 and some of series 2) were very bad. The 3rd series has it all worked out finally though, and I haven't heard of any problems with them. Unfortunately the screw ups on the first two versions gave the millennium series a bad name. I own the .40 version (PT140) and a friend has the .45 (PT145). It's the best concealable handgun I've ever owned or fired. Accurate, comfortable, smooth...I can't say enough good about them. It's what I carry daily.

Gimmie a minute and I'll check.

May 16, 2000

Gimmie a minute and I'll check.

From chambered and saftey to 6 components and a round was about 40 seconds best time. Full break down and reassemble was about 1 minute and a half. Mind you, I haven't practiced break down drills on it very much, so it could probably be shaved by up to 20 seconds. It's no glock for stripping, but it's not bad either.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
The problem with a shotgun as home defense is sort of twofold. One it's harder to keep them locked (like you should with any firearm) and convenient. There are pistol safes that are biometric that you can keep right next to your bed.

A shotgun is good should you have the 'jump' on someone...once they are in your house though it's harder to navigate with a longer weapon. Also chances are you probably aren't going to make your first shot, or there may be two guys. A pistol can fire faster and recover better for most people. A revolver though is 100% reliable...biggest fear in any gun user's life is jamming on the shot that makes or breaks the situation.

I'm not convinced... you can just as easily install a combination cable lock on a pump or semi-auto shotgun and have it ready to deploy on the same time as it would take to open a pistol safe. A semi-auto shotgun is just as quick to fire if not faster than a semi-automatic pistol and has the benefit of a stock to reduce recoil and muzzle climb for fast follow-up shots. As someone who shoots sporting clays regularly I can tell you that making quick successive shots, even at two different targets going completely different directions is not difficult with a shotgun.

Comparing a pump shotgun to a revolver, again, I'd still go with the shotgun simply because you have a much better chance of hitting your target with each pull of the trigger under stress. You also have the option of loading up a batch of 1 oz slugs in lieu of buckshot if you're really mean which means you're putting something like 2500 ft/lbs of energy into your target vs 500 or so with a 158 grain 357 magnum soft/hollowpoint or 300-ish with a 124 grain 9mm JHP bullet.

Finally, lets not forget the deterrent effect that the sound of racking the slide on a 12 gauge shotgun can have on an intruder looking for an easy mark...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
The problem with a shotgun as home defense is sort of twofold. One it's harder to keep them locked (like you should with any firearm) and convenient. There are pistol safes that are biometric that you can keep right next to your bed.

A shotgun is good should you have the 'jump' on someone...once they are in your house though it's harder to navigate with a longer weapon. Also chances are you probably aren't going to make your first shot, or there may be two guys. A pistol can fire faster and recover better for most people. A revolver though is 100% reliable...biggest fear in any gun user's life is jamming on the shot that makes or breaks the situation.

isn't the usual advice for a home invasion to stay where you are and let the invader come to you?

If they are coming for you yes. If you have kids or other family members then no.

Also if I heard someone attempting to break in, I'd be sure to get there before they get in.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I shot a couple rifles this weekend. One was a .30-06 and that thing had some kick to it. I'm just wondering, how hard is it to hold onto a .50 caliber pistol with the recoil? I'm guessing they buck pretty damn hard. Anybody here fire a .50 hand gun before?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: yuppiejr

I'm not convinced... you can just as easily install a combination cable lock on a pump or semi-auto shotgun and have it ready to deploy on the same time as it would take to open a pistol safe. A semi-auto shotgun is just as quick to fire if not faster than a semi-automatic pistol and has the benefit of a stock to reduce recoil and muzzle climb for fast follow-up shots. As someone who shoots sporting clays regularly I can tell you that making quick successive shots, even at two different targets going completely different directions is not difficult with a shotgun.

Comparing a pump shotgun to a revolver, again, I'd still go with the shotgun simply because you have a much better chance of hitting your target with each pull of the trigger under stress. You also have the option of loading up a batch of 1 oz slugs in lieu of buckshot if you're really mean which means you're putting something like 2500 ft/lbs of energy into your target vs 500 or so with a 158 grain 357 magnum soft/hollowpoint or 300-ish with a 124 grain 9mm JHP bullet.

Finally, lets not forget the deterrent effect that the sound of racking the slide on a 12 gauge shotgun can have on an intruder looking for an easy mark...

Biometric pistol safes open when you hand is in front of them. You'd more than likely need some light to do you combo on that shotgun.

A slide is a great deterent, but if they are not scared off you just let them know where you were.

If you are going to miss with a pistol, chances are you are going to miss with a shotgun at normal melee ranges. You don't get the benefits of spread up close.

shot is a lot more neighbor friendly though than bullets.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
I shot a couple rifles this weekend. One was a .30-06 and that thing had some kick to it. I'm just wondering, how hard is it to hold onto a .50 caliber pistol with the recoil? I'm guessing they buck pretty damn hard. Anybody here fire a .50 hand gun before?

It's hard to describe...many have recoil suppressors, but there is still a bit of kick. A lot of it depends on your size. I am close to 200lbs I can handle a 1911 pretty easy. My wife is 100lbs she hates it.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
The .30-06 just impresses the heck outta me. I shot one once before in the Boy Scouts. The boom the thing makes was echoing off the hills and since we were shooting into the side of a hill, the rounds were digging some huge trenches when we missed the cans we were plinking. I guess that round is pretty much the same size they used in the M-1 Garand in WWII. I can see how they would do some damage toa person or deer. The .50 rifle/machine gun round just dwarfs it though in the pics I've seen. I'm sure the rounds for the pistol are a smaller cartridge just the same diameter bullet?

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Glock 19 for 9mm, but after shooting a Glock 30, i know for sure that nobody is getting up from that.
Go for the .45 Glock 30...it's a beast, but easy and fun to shoot.
Fisheerman and I have some Al-Qaida targets from our last gun range outing.
Text

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Depends on the caliber and the weight of the gun. Why do you want a gun in this caliber anyway?

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Depends on the caliber and the weight of the gun. Why do you want a gun in this caliber anyway?

Not looking to buy one. I'm just curious how someone could hold onto a .50 cal pistol when it goes off. That is a big round.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Not looking to buy one. I'm just curious how someone could hold onto a .50 cal pistol when it goes off. That is a big round.

I shot a .454 Casull once. It's 1 1/2 times more powerful than a .44 Magnum but in a large frame revolver it isn't too bad. It certainly isn't going to jump out of your hands when you shoot it. There are a couple different .50 caliber handgun cartridges (not to be confused with the .50 caliber rifle military round-as far as I know there are no handguns chambered for that). Which one specifically are you referring too?

The thing with large caliber handguns is the ammo is very expensive making practice with them cost prohibitive. These guns were made for hunting though, not for self defense. They would be a very poor choice for self defense.

Aug 23, 2000
Springfield Armory has their XD line of semi auto pistols. They come in 9mm, .357SIG(discontinued), .40S&W, .45ACP, .45GAP(discontinued).
And come in different frame and slide sizes.
It's a great gun for a beginner.
I personally carry a Springfield Armory 1911 on the weekends, and a Keltec PF-9 during the week when i have to wear dress shirts.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDI

"Concealed special occasion carry"

What gun would you get? would it be a hybrid of pure home and pure daily carry?

I would define that as you know something bad could likely happen during that period.

While you may be ok carrying a .380 normally, if you absolutely know you are going to see or highly have a chance of using the weapon you may want to carry a larger weapon in stopping power or capacity or both.

I'm all for concealed carry, and carrying whatever you want, but if you're going somewhere where you think you'll be shooting your way out, then you probably shouldn't go there in the first place. The way you word it, the only situations that I can think of that fit your description are drug deals and other illegal activity with unscrupulous characters.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph

I'm all for concealed carry, and carrying whatever you want, but if you're going somewhere where you think you'll be shooting your way out, then you probably shouldn't go there in the first place. The way you word it, the only situations that I can think of that fit your description are drug deals and other illegal activity with unscrupulous characters.

This is why most people don't understand carrying an handgun really. Many just carry them for the attention/cool factor or fear.

It's not a problem so much now that I don't hit clubs and crap, but piss off the wrong guys and you can have some big problems. I knocked the fk out some gang banger one night, they had to shut the exits and entrances down to let me get to my car.

Some dudes were already in the parking lot and shot at me. I didn't have a gun then and got away. I was chased at 100mph+. If I would have wrecked or lost a tire or got hit I don't think I would have been around after that night.

Also even legal activities involving a lot of cash can go south in a hurry with people you don't totally trust so much, but have items you want. Sometimes it's a scam and you have to risk losing your cash and more than likely your life.

There's also just hate out there. Some people want nothing else but to hurt those doing really well for themselves. This is why many uber rich people hire body guards.

Another simple one is having to pass through freaking ghettos to get to where you need to go. IF you are on a motorcycle it's even worse. 10 dudes come up to you at a red light at 2am chances are you are going to need to give them something.

It's basically the case if you don't know why, then it doesn't apply. I still haven't bought a gun yet. Most of the people I know own them though. I have enough practice at shooting ranges to be decent at firing and making sure the safety is off of many popular guns. I don't have that kind of life anymore though.

For the average soccer mom and office guy, a handgun is more or less like an umbrella in the trunk their sunny weekend convertable. You really hope you don't ever need it, and usually you never do.

Feb 24, 2001

I would define that as you know something bad could likely happen during that period.

While you may be ok carrying a .380 normally, if you absolutely know you are going to see or highly have a chance of using the weapon you may want to carry a larger weapon in stopping power or capacity or both.

My father's business is in the 'hood. I'm not going to go buy plasma cutters, drill presses, etc. just to avoid having to go over there and use his goodies. When I know I'll be going by I carry heavier than I do daily. There are valid reasons.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

My father's business is in the 'hood. I'm not going to go buy plasma cutters, drill presses, etc. just to avoid having to go over there and use his goodies. When I know I'll be going by I carry heavier than I do daily. There are valid reasons.

When you go to the hood do you "absolutely know you are going to see or highly have a chance of using the weapon"? Really, if that applies, then you shouldn't be going into that hood. In reality that hood probably isn't all that bad, since you have probably been through it many times without incident. All I'm saying is that having a handgun is not an excuse to engage in dangerous behavior. If you wouldn't do it without a gun, then I say don't do it with a gun. Don't start fights with people, don't buy illegal drugs with a legal carry permit, don't road rage on people, that just gives gun owners a bad name.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

When you go to the hood do you "absolutely know you are going to see or highly have a chance of using the weapon"? Really, if that applies, then you shouldn't be going into that hood. In reality that hood probably isn't all that bad, since you have probably been through it many times without incident. All I'm saying is that having a handgun is not an excuse to engage in dangerous behavior. If you wouldn't do it without a gun, then I say don't do it with a gun. Don't start fights with people, don't buy illegal drugs with a legal carry permit, don't road rage on people, that just gives gun owners a bad name.

Of course it's not a high probabilty. But the business has break-ins and vehicles stolen every year. It's a 100% black, gov. assisted living area. The business has been there over 75 years (was his dad's) and he's retiring in a few years so no reason to move now.

I know what you are saying though. Some guys strap-on and walk around waiting for some punk to wrong them. FWIW, in TX, if you are the aggressor, deadly force isn't a defense to criminal charges. You pick a fight with punk, he pulls a knife, and you shoot him in defense, you are going to prision for a long while...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I take it you are young. Often one has to go places or simply pass through them they'd rather not in their lives. To get to the Island of Palm Beach one had to drive through the worst ghetto in the area. To get to Univ. of Miami in Coral Gables you have to go through the pits of hell too.

People die in these places almost everyday. Hell in New Orleans like 1 per day or more die.

Usually these are targeting others that live in the area, however; with mandatory sentenceing if you witness something bad happening chances are they are going to try to kill you too...it's not going to change their jail time.

Also you can live life running shadow to shadow and no one will notice you. That's fine for some but not rewarding and doesn't pay off. It's when you come out of those shadows more and more that you start attracting the predators just like in the wild. For man, the hand gun gives most of us the claws we don't have.

It's not always about starting fights either....in my life they have found me.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I take it you are young. Often one has to go places or simply pass through them they'd rather not in their lives. To get to the Island of Palm Beach one had to drive through the worst ghetto in the area. To get to Univ. of Miami in Coral Gables you have to go through the pits of hell too.

People die in these places almost everyday. Hell in New Orleans like 1 per day or more die.

Usually these are targeting others that live in the area, however; with mandatory sentenceing if you witness something bad happening chances are they are going to try to kill you too...it's not going to change their jail time.

Also you can live life running shadow to shadow and no one will notice you. That's fine for some but not rewarding and doesn't pay off. It's when you come out of those shadows more and more that you start attracting the predators just like in the wild. For man, the hand gun gives most of us the claws we don't have.

It's not always about starting fights either....in my life they have found me.

Dude, you sound like a guy looking for trouble. Either that or you're just super paranoid.

I used to work in Los Angeles for a car rental company and had to travel into some pretty unsavory areas of South Central Los Angeles and even East LA and I'm a white guy. I never had any reason to pull, let alone use, a gun in self defense. Fuck, I lived in Los Angeles during the riots after the Rodney King incident. I drove through an area being looted to pick up my wife on day two of the riots, I could smell the smoke from the burning buildings at night, I had a loaded gun sitting in easy reach in case I needed it but I never did thankfully.

My experiences have taught me that gun ownership is a right that we need to protect because I've seen society break down to where you couldn't count on anyone but yourself. Still, the way you talk you'd think you lived in a war zone.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Dude, you sound like a guy looking for trouble. Either that or you're just super paranoid.

I used to work in Los Angeles for a car rental company and had to travel into some pretty unsavory areas of South Central Los Angeles and even East LA and I'm a white guy. I never had any reason to pull, let alone use, a gun in self defense. Fuck, I lived in Los Angeles during the riots after the Rodney King incident. I drove through an area being looted to pick up my wife on day two of the riots, I could smell the smoke from the burning buildings at night, I had a loaded gun sitting in easy reach in case I needed it but I never did thankfully.

My experiences have taught me that gun ownership is a right that we need to protect because I've seen society break down to where you couldn't count on anyone but yourself. Still, the way you talk you'd think you lived in a war zone.

That like how Geek Squad makes one a system admin?

Difference is you didn't get out of your car or simply blended in (shadow to shadow, rabbit run).

By your own 'experience' say you had to drive into the riots?

I don't live in a war zone actually the most expensive/exclusive place and a few close runners up to live in our country are within 10 minutes of me, but gangs and criminals exist, people die here almost each week by being simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Get out in a club once and a while and mess with some guy's or worse some banger's ex or a chick he thought was 'his'. You can be that guy in the old Weider comics that got sand kicked in his face or tell him to pound sand.

Like I have said most simple don't understand what kinds of things happen right in their own neighborhoods or closely outside them because they are scared or uninterested in exploring.