Question First Gaming Build - Thoughts?

SulldogNasty

May 11, 2020
Building my first budget gaming PC ($500-$600) primarily for WoW Classic. After some discussion with others, these are the parts I ordered for my first build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SulldogNasty/saved/2Y4vf7 (Also can’t believe how much prices fluctuate, link is showing everything $80 more expensive than I bought for just earlier this week).

I am a total novice so was wondering how other people thought this looked (if there was anything else I needed like additional cooling, etc. that I have overlooked), and was also wondering about non-WoW limitations (other common games that would be playable and how that experience would be), and what type of performance I can expect to achieve on WoW with this build.

Thanks for the input in advance!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
If you can wait just a bit, i'd hold off on that build right now. The new Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X processor's are coming out any day now. They are going to be $99 and $119 and significantly faster than that Intel i3 9100F quad-core cpu.

SulldogNasty

May 11, 2020
Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong (just going off what I have been told), but the reason that I went with an intel cpu is because Blizzard doesn't play nice with other chips? Is that true or is that not the case?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong (just going off what I have been told), but the reason that I went with an intel cpu is because Blizzard doesn't play nice with other chips? Is that true or is that not the case?

Yes that did used to be the case but with patches it's pretty much the same now. Also the eight threaded Ryzen 3100/3300X cpu's will play newer titles much better than a 4 threaded Intel cpu.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I recall from recent benchmarks the AMD cpus are actually a better in WoW, especially in minimum framerate.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That i3 is going to age worse than the bananas in my fruit bowl. On a tight budget like that, refurbed optiplex with Haswell i7 for under $200, $100 1TB SSD and a GTX 1650 for $160 and you would have had a sweet budget gamer.