First full length trailer for Marvel's The Avengers!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Yea, I had to google it but I figured it was that but it looks like it was introduced in 2008 so a long time when I stopped reading them.

I wonder if they are doing the skittle squad for hulks like I guess they did for the green lantern. :p

lol

there is only the red and green hulk. well unless you count the grey hulk but he was kind wimpy for a hulk. then you have she-hulk and red she-hulk. then skar..

shit..a hulk army.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Wouldn't that imply the shield should be about 50,000 K.

No, it's stored. Not emitted as heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibranium

Wakandan Vibranium, often referred to as vibranium as it's the most commonly known of the two varieties of vibranium, is a rare substance native to the small African nation of Wakanda.[9] The Wakandan isotope possesses the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it.[10] The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes.

There are limits to the capacity of the energy that can be stored, and although the exact limitations are unknown as of now, there have been a few examples. One such instance was when the oil conglomerate Roxxon discovered that a small island in the South Atlantic had a foundation composed of vibranium. Due to this, Roxxon found it necessary to destroy the island and blew it up with bombs. Unable to absorb the force of the explosions, the vibranium was destroyed, but it did succeed in entirely absorbing the sound made by the explosion preventing damage to the surrounding area.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I wonder if they are doing the skittle squad for hulks like I guess they did for the green lantern. :p

nope.. i stopped reading them a while ago, but iirc, the reds were introduced as a 'darker' version of the hulk... red hulk, red she-hulk (betty ross) ...

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
not to mention one of the best tacticians and leader. not to mention one of the best in hand to hand combat.

pretty much the batman of the marvel world.

I didn't get that from the movie at all (didn't read the comics). In the movie he very much seems like a strong man with a single gadget in his sheild. And he needed drugs to get strong. Not very Batman like to me.

Again, this is from solely a new movie perspective. So it sounds like they really dropped the ball with his character then, correct?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I didn't get that from the movie at all (didn't read the comics). In the movie he very much seems like a strong man with a single gadget in his sheild. And he needed drugs to get strong. Not very Batman like to me.

Again, this is from solely a new movie perspective. So it sounds like they really dropped the ball with his character then, correct?

Not really. The movie shows a montage of him taking out Hydra bases. Said experience is where the tactical expertise largely comes from. Movie just decided to go for more action after the first act. It was a pretty good balance considering there could only be one movie in the franchise and they had a lot of ground to cover.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

sure he needed the drugs to get the physical ability. BUT the determination, will power and IQ were always there. he was the 98lb unhealthy weakling who wanted to be a soldier.

where Batman needs his money to be batman. Steve needs the serum to be Cap America.

but they are pretty much the same. Brilliant tacticians, strong willpower, unstoppable determination. one has a shit load of gadgets the other a shield.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
So does Thor do anything other than sort of look out of place? When we left him at the end of the last movie he was in his own world, so I guess they managed to get him back somehow.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So then it should be absolute 0, considering it absorbs all vibrations, including vibrations that cause molecules to be in motion a.k.a heat.

Perhaps it dissipates it's stored energy slowly at a fixed rate such that the shield remains at a manageable temperature so long as there's any significant energy stored in it. It's a comic book, if it sounds like it makes sense, it makes sense. :p

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Wasn't Norton canned because he was being a prima donna on the sets?

The information on what happened to Norton is in this thread along with a bunch of other information.

Also, IIRC Norton wrote The Incredible Hulk movie he starred in. He did not like the original script and rewrote it. The writers name is not displayed as Edward Norton but by a fake name in the credits. Norton is a HUGE fan of The Hulk.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Is that Loke they're all fighting? Didn't Thor kick his ass single-handedly already?

immy85

Nov 15, 2009
The-Avengers-Official-Movie-HR-Image-2-574x322.jpg

:thumbsup::eek:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
hm.. a team composed of 3 of the most powerful beings:
thor
iron man
hulk

all at the str=100+ lvl

so who's the enemy again?
and why couldnt these 3 guys just cakewalk all over them?

btw- in the comics, cap deflects a blow of thors hammer, denting the shield. and cap is hurt also even tho the shield completely blocked the hammer

edit:
and where the hell is ant man?! he was a founding member of the Avengers!

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
WTF, why is Nick Fury a black dude now? And Hulk, Bruce Banner changes to another "actor" in every movie. Is this movie set in an "alternate" universe? D:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Looks like good entertainment if nothing else, although right now the modern Avengers cartoon is fulfilling my Marvel addiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers:_Earth%27s_Mightiest_Heroes

woot! Season 2 starts this month... and will feature RULK

Woot. Thanks ATOT for directing me towards this series some time back. Great animated series if you are into them. Just finished watching all of season 1 a few weeks ago. Can't wait for season 2.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I saw the IGN breakdown of the trailer and apparently the main villain is Loki. This sounds like they are doing a similar story to the Avengers animated series then. Season 1 featured Loki as the main villain through much of the latter 1/2 of the episodes. Tying them together of course makes sense from the point of view of making the franchise seem like a unified thing.

May 11, 2008
He put on some weight for the roll. But in the movies I have seen him, he comes off as a lightweight pussy. Maybe he will surprise me. But of all the actors out there, he is who they went with to play a beast?

I still like the first hulk story. A good combination of genetic modification , gamma radiation, state of the art biotechnology, psychology ,chance and fantasy.
The Ang Lee version of the hulk is so incredibly under rated.
I also liked the skin tone more. Much more realistic then the oily veins bodybuilder from the second hulk movie .
MV5BMTI3NDQzODAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc0MTIyMw@@._V1._SX640_SY383_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrNMPRriwc

I always liked the hulk stories but i never could live with the extreme of just gamma radiation turning a normal person into a super human.

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I still like the first hulk story. A good combination of genetic modification , gamma radiation, state of the art biotechnology, psychology ,chance and fantasy.
The Ang Lee version of the hulk is so incredibly under rated.
I also liked the skin tone more. Much more realistic then the oily veins bodybuilder from the second hulk movie .
MV5BMTI3NDQzODAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc0MTIyMw@@._V1._SX640_SY383_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrNMPRriwc

I always liked the hulk stories but i never could live with the extreme of just gamma radiation turning a normal person into a super human.

The first film also featured a much more contemplative, conflicted hulk from what I remember. Which also helps to make it the better of the two IMO. The second has more action and is faster paced that's for sure. It's more of a popcorn munching blockbuster. But it's a lot more forgettable. People want their comic book films action packed and fast paced and I get that but I personally like to see some depth to them as well. People forget that comic books have matured a lot from their roots in the 1940s and 50s as their original fans have aged with them. It's not uncommon for comics now to take on fairly serious themes and to be seen as more than just ass busting tights wearing supermen. Which isn't to say I think like some that they are genuinely "deep" or anything. They ARE still comics for the most part. But anyway, comics like Batman were probably the first to do this, with Batman evolving into a very conflicted rather complex character. I personally prefer it when some of this complexity is injected back into the film adaptations they are now making. Which is why I tend to like the ones that many tend NOT to like. For example I rather liked the Superman reboot that everyone seems to hate.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
The first film also featured a much more contemplative, conflicted hulk from what I remember. Which also helps to make it the better of the two IMO. The second has more action and is faster paced that's for sure. It's more of a popcorn munching blockbuster. But it's a lot more forgettable. People want their comic book films action packed and fast paced and I get that but I personally like to see some depth to them as well. People forget that comic books have matured a lot from their roots in the 1940s and 50s as their original fans have aged with them. It's not uncommon for comics now to take on fairly serious themes and to be seen as more than just ass busting tights wearing supermen. Comics like Batman were probably the first to do this, with Batman evolving into a very conflicted rather complex character. I personally prefer it when some of this complexity is injected back into the film adaptations they are now making. Which is why I tend to like the ones that many tend NOT to like. For example I rather liked the Superman reboot that everyone seems to hate.

Well, i have some rant on comic books as well...
The comic books from the seventies and eighties developed character a lot in side stories or special versions of the comic. I stopped buying comic books a long time ago, mainly because the alternative universe enterprise was used to create as many bizarre story lines as possible to keep selling comics. That and the fact that i do not like the graphic style that is present since the end of the eighties. It looks as if the artists where high on LSD or stoned as hell when they where drawing. As if Karel Appel (alternative dutch painter artist from the recent past) had painted the comics.

If you see old spiderwoman comics from the seventies and eighties. Still makes me salivate even today. Curvy and round and proportionally pleasing. :thumbsup:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Well, i have some rant on comic books as well...
The comic books from the seventies and eighties developed character a lot in side stories or special versions of the comic. I stopped buying comic books a long time ago, mainly because the alternative universe enterprise was used to create as many bizarre story lines as possible to keep selling comics. That and the fact that i do not like the graphic style that is present since the end of the eighties. It looks as if the artists where high on LSD or stoned as hell when they where drawing. As if Karel Appel (alternative dutch painter artist from the recent past) had painted the comics.

If you see old spiderwoman comics from the seventies and eighties. Still makes me salivate even today. Curvy and round and proportionally pleasing. :thumbsup:

I'm actually not up on comics enough to judge. I was mainly thinking of comics as compared to their early pre teen and early teen marked beginnings. Yeah if I were to be nostalgic for comics it would be for the 80s period. Much of the maturation I talk about above had already occurred by then anyway.

And yeah whats with the stupid multiverses they have going and nth retcons of characters? How many times to do you have to a superhero off before people roll their eyes?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Ugh, sounds like they don't know when they plan to release the season 2 now as they delayed it.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....tiest-heroes-season-2-delayed-until-2012.html

During the NYCC panel, Christopher Yost (story editor for the series) and Josh Fine (supervising producer) confirmed that the show's original season premiere (that was to debut this October) was put on hold until 2012.

However, when it'll be shown is were conflicting stories and sources go they are heresay. Still, this report will list the two conflicting reports. One that the show will return sometime in Spring 2012 with the live action movie adaptation hits movie screens (much like this past year the show aired it's remaining episodes in the States around the two movie versions of two of it's members: Thor and Captain America). The other report says the show won't return until the fall of 2012 airing alongside the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
So either spring or fall of 2012. :(

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Please move discussion of Captain America's shield to highly technical forum.