First ever system build went smoothly!!

JD Anderson

Aug 18, 2005
I built my first system last night, and it all went smoothly with no issues!
I spent a couple of hours spinning my wheels trying to figure out conflicts in the instructions between the mother board, case, power supply, video card, etc. I finally threw them all away and built the system just going by the mother board layout drawing. Everything worked great!

Thanks for all of the help I received here in the forums. Three weeks ago, I knew nothing about computers. Now I've got my first system under my belt without a single glitch!

I finished at 4:30am and came to work after 1 1/2 hours of sleep! Worth it, though!

JD

Antec Performance P180 Case
Seasonic S12-500W Power Supply
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 Mother Board
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego CPU Retail
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail
Gigabyte GV-RX70P256V-SP Radeon X700 Pro PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/HDTV-Out & DVI Retail Video
Western Digital 74GB Raptor HDD (Boot Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ? OEM (Storage)
NEC Black ND-3540A 16X 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner ? OEM
NEC CD-RW (re use from previous system)
Sony Black 1.44MB 3.5? Floppy
NEC/MITSUBISHI - FE992-BK 19IN CRT .25MM-BLK 16X12
Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail
Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 Black RF Wireless Keyboard/Mouse ? Retail
Windows XP Pro with SP2

JD Anderson

Aug 18, 2005
Ok...
Now I'm back into unfamiliar territory. What is Prime 95? Are there other diagnostic utilities I should run?
This computer will not be on the internet. Can I download utilities on another computer and burn a CD to run them on the new rig?
Thanks,
JD

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Awesome. Congratulations! Its a defining moment being able to build a complex system with so many components with so many variables in configuration.

daftpunkit

Aug 18, 2005
Prime95 is a stress test. Puts your computer at full load, 100% CPU usage. It is mostly used to test load temperatures, like when someone says 30°C idle, and 40°C load.

When most computers are made they may run fine at first but crap out later and then they will come to these boards, as you can see already on the general forums occasionally, and desribed the problem. MOST new builders don't realize that they have to burn in their computers to ensure they are stable. Most boutique companies like Alienware and Falcon-NW burn in their computers with Prime95 for at least 24 hours. If there are no problems they ship it.

Prime95 is a small program and can be downloaded for free off the internet.

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: JD Anderson
Thanks...
I downloaded it and will put it on the new computer tonight.

Is there any benchmark/diagnostic software I can download??

JD

Originally posted by: daftpunkit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

Explains it a bit and gives a link where it can be DL.

Prime95 - Stability software
Smartguardian - Temp monitors
CPU-Z - CPU Diagnostic (this is probably what you mean)

Get all three though.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Post some pics so I can add you to my page (see sig)! Nice system. Can't wait to see pics / benchmarks. :)
Tas.